BooHoo...Andrew Bynum out 8 weeks.

I'm heartbroken.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Bynum to miss 8 weeks with injured kneecap[/h1]
ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 14, 2008, 9:29 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- Andrew Bynum, a big factor in the Los Angeles Lakers' strong start, will be out at least eight weeks because of an injured left knee.

MRI tests and an examination Monday by team physician Dr. Steve Lombardo revealed Bynum had temporarily dislocated his kneecap -- a subluxation -- and suffered a bone bruise.

Bynum is expected to make a full recovery, the Lakers said in a press release.

"He's already focusing on his rehab," Bynum's agent, David Lee, told ESPN The Magazine's Sam Alipour on Monday.

The 20-year-old center, who leads the NBA in field-goal percentage, was injured early in the third quarter of Sunday night's 100-99 victory over Memphis when he landed on teammate Lamar Odom's left foot while going for a rebound.

Bynum crumpled to the court, and teammates Kwame Brown and Ronny Turiaf had to carry him to the locker room as fans at Staples Center chanted, "By-num, By-num."

A third-year pro taken by the Lakers with the 10th overall pick in the 2005 draft, Bynum is averaging 13.1 points, 10.2 rebounds and 2.06 blocked shots, and has made 189 of his 297 field goal attempts (63.6 percent). He is the league's 11th-leading rebounder and ninth-leading shot-blocker.

The Lakers (25-11) had won six straight games -- their longest winning streak in almost four years -- and 16 of 19 entering Monday night's game at Seattle.

The schedule gets much tougher after that, with games against Phoenix, Denver, San Antonio, Dallas and Cleveland. Then, after a home game against the Knicks, the Lakers begin a nine-game road trip Jan. 31 at Detroit.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said following Sunday night's game that Brown would replace Bynum in the starting lineup and Turiaf would serve as his backup.

"Unless Wilt [Chamberlain] comes back from the dead, I don't know what else we're going to do," Jackson said.

Brown, limited to 41 games by injuries last season, has averaged 5.3 points and 4.4 rebounds in eight games after missing 19 because of a sprained left knee and ankle. He entered Monday night's matchup against Seattle having played in 15 games this season.

The Lakers already had a depth problem at center because Chris Mihm has been sidelined with a sore right Achilles tendon and isn't expected to return for at least two more weeks.

Bynum expressed optimism as he left the arena after Sunday night's game walking under his own power with a soft brace on his knee while his personal trainer, Sean Zarzana, carried a pair of crutches.

"I'm not in too much pain, only when I bend it," Bynum said. "I don't think it's serious at all. I can move it left and right. Just to take a step forward is the only thing that really hurts. I never heard a pop."

In his last full game before being injured, Bynum had 25 points and a career-high 17 rebounds Friday night in a 110-105 victory over Milwaukee.

Sam Alipour is a contributing writer to ESPN The Magazine. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Sucks for the Fakers....good for the NBDL. The WNBA team still sucks tho.

Forreal tho Bynum is a beast, Lakers'll definitely drop in the standings IMO

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
frown.gif
mad.gif

Yeah, if i were you id be happy too ZoDogg. Completely understandable, considering we're coming to play you guys in PHX on thursday. You wouldn't wanta repeat of the last time Bynum dominated stat now would you?
laugh.gif
It's okay though...see, if we lose, we wont have excuses like you, we admit when we havebeen outplayed. We should still have enough firepower to put you on tilt x3. Andrew will be back, don't you worry...you're going to get a good dose ofhim for the next 12 years.
devil.gif
Let me edit that: If we lose, I wont have excuses lilke you, I admit when we have been outplayed. (I can't speak for alllaker fans, there are a couple immature, boneheaded ones out there that make the rest of us look bad). Oh, and i hope you dont take that as me believing thatwere going to lose, because i certainly do not. I believe we will win, Bynum would of just made it easier.
wink.gif

Damn. Sucks.

This is why sometimes team-centric news being exclusive to team threads can be a negative.

Its all good nbadotcom....

When Stat went out we all wished him the best....

Karma is a B....thats probably the reason why the suns trophy case is empty and will stay empty.

damn, shame im a warriors fan but damn. Everytime they are playing good something bad always happens. Hope they can keep winning.

Originally Posted by tupac003

Karma is a B....thats probably the reason why the suns trophy case is empty and will stay empty.
I said nothing negative about his injury.
I did not even mention the word Fakers in that post.

Originally Posted by akajaedeuce

lock this up
Nah don't lock it up. There maybe some basketball fans that didn't know this went down. Most laker fans just don't like the person whoposted it. Not because he posted this but why he posted it.

Originally Posted by NBAdotcom

Originally Posted by tupac003

I said nothing negative about his injury.
I did not even mention the word Fakers in that post.

had to get it in one way or another huh?

2f715a4962cf94cb4f9001756840733441fb0db.gif

Originally Posted by BaronDavis5

damn, shame im a warriors fan but damn. Everytime they are playing good something bad always happens. Hope they can keep winning.
yehh man...co-sign...i hope its not dejavu again Like Last year...man i hope we can do some damage with big drew out
frown.gif
...i hope no nose dive again
tired.gif
and with zodogg posting this i feeL it is a sLap in the face too

its a shame..watching the lakers play tonight against seattle was excruciating...

major difference in play with bynum out...

Stuff like this is exactly why we have season threads; to prevent every little tidbit about teams from cluttering the forum.

If I want to know how an injured Sun is doing, I have all the confidence I'll get my answer in the Suns thread.

*locked*

Back
Top Bottom