Boston Celtics Fans: What happens when the ride is over? Up or down?

Just curious as to where everyone sees Boston in the next 10 years.  Do they become an 8th seed or below .500 team like they were for the most part of the past 2 decades?  It took a damn long time for them to finally rebuild to a championship team.  What happens post Pierce, Garnett, and Allen?

It happens. I'm sure their preparing for the time when the big 3 retire & such. They'll be fine.

Too many variables to say at the moment.

Historically, there hasn't been a lot of big free-agent signings, so once the Big Three retire the front office will probably look to improve through trades or the draft.

probably 8th seed at best unless McHale gets a GM position and gives away stars to the celtics in exchange for trash 

Rebuilding process started when they dealt Perkins for Green (even though Perkins is young).

They're not totally blowing it up, but they're transitioning while maintaining the core.

Present: Garnett, Rondo, Pierce, Allen
Future: Rondo, Green, JaJuan, Glen, and whatever moves they make in the future.

Already know Doc & Danny Ainge's plan.

Doc signed a 5 year contract extension for the following reasons:

- He knows the big 3 have have at best 2 or 3 years before they all retire.
- He knows his son Austin Rivers is a big time prospect at DUKE and will tell him to stay there for 2 years and then when he's ready to come out for the NBA Draft Doc & Ainge will tank that season to get better chances in the lottery to draft Austin Rivers.
- Keep Rondo. Draft Austin Rivers. There's the C's future back court.
-Maybe keep Big Baby and then build the rest of the team through free agency with all of the cap space they will have.

When KG retires...

Minnesota 2.0

Spoiler [+]
I kid, I kid
tongue.gif

Jeff Green is gonna be the best NBA Player in 3 years and get Co-MVP with Rondo in 3 years. Ray Allen comes off the bench to hit them 3's... and KG comes off the bench with him... and Pierce is Starting SG.

I don't know why people are saying Big Baby anything... the guy sucks meatballs (no pun). I don't want him back. Plus he's an unrestricted free agent, no guarantees since he wants to start. I think there are mutual feelings of thanks but no thanks between the team and him...

Originally Posted by finnns2003

I don't know why people are saying Big Baby anything... the guy sucks meatballs (no pun). I don't want him back. Plus he's an unrestricted free agent, no guarantees since he wants to start. I think there are mutual feelings of thanks but no thanks between the team and him...
Yeah it's pitiful how the boy stays fat and at times misses simple dunks.  I remember him having a stat for most blocked player in the league or something like that. 

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

Yeah it's pitiful how the boy stays fat and at times misses simple dunks.  I remember him having a stat for most blocked player in the league or something like that. 
Exactly, it's pathetic of a "big man" to have his shot swatted so many times. Dude can barely jump off the ground. Get rid of his fat #@# and the salary with it. He has crappy work ethic and sulks and whines when he starts to suck. Can't rebound worth a damn either. He KILLED us these last 2 years.

Originally Posted by MR J 858

Already know Doc & Danny Ainge's plan.

Doc signed a 5 year contract extension for the following reasons:

- He knows the big 3 have have at best 2 or 3 years before they all retire.
- He knows his son Austin Rivers is a big time prospect at DUKE and will tell him to stay there for 2 years and then when he's ready to come out for the NBA Draft Doc & Ainge will tank that season to get better chances in the lottery to draft Austin Rivers.
- Keep Rondo. Draft Austin Rivers. There's the C's future back court.
-Maybe keep Big Baby and then build the rest of the team through free agency with all of the cap space they will have.

Davis and Drummond>Rivers

im thinking any where from 4th-7th seed they do play in the east mind you
also we'll see how good Rondo actually is without 3 future HOF on the floor with him

Big Baby is going to be long gone, I can't see Doc and Danny planning the future around him. Rondo is locked up for a few more years, but after the 2012-2012 season everyone is off the books except Pierce, Rondo, and any draft picks.
If they are going to make a splash in Free Agency it's going to have to be summer of 2012. I hope they make a run at Dwight Howard and sell him on playing with a top level passer like Rondo, but I think that might be a pipe dream. They'll need a big player to run with Rondo after 2012. Maybe one of the Lopez brothers I think they are free agents at the same time as well. Pierce can take the role of shooter off the bench so he can retire a Celtic. KG will hopefully retire after this contract or come back on the cheap if they sign a big name FA as the starter at PF/C. I'd love them to keep Ray around because he can still shoot the lights out and is in good shape, he'll probably become a defensive liability as he gets older though.
If they keep Rondo around they'll need to add a big guy and a shooter/scorer to the starting 5 in free agency. Otherwise it's 8th seed city.
Remember the rest of the East is getting better while the C's get worse. Chicago, NY, Miami, will all certainly be better than Boston going forward.

Rebuild,it happens to every team. We're gonna see the dominant veteran teams of the past few years like the Spurs,Lakers and Mavs having to start replacing their roster. Every team need a solid pg and we already have Rondo so that's a plus. I'm intrigued at the idea of having Austin Rivers,never really thought of that. Rondo + Rivers backourt would be
eek.gif
. I don't think it'll take as long as before the big 3 to become a good team again. I hope it won't..

Originally Posted by knightngale

probably 8th seed at best unless McHale gets a GM position and gives away stars to the celtics in exchange for trash 

Kind of like the Gasol trade.

Like people have said Baby will be gone along with Ray and KG soon. Jeff Green might not even come back I've heard.

With Doc signing that 5 year deal I don't think we will go back to .500 we should make some moves to stay near the top of the East. We have Rondo and after that it's sort of up in the air. 2012 is a year to look at because we have a lot of money off the books, I hope we make a run at Dwight Howard even though we don't usually do the free agent thing for some reason.

The C's have trouble with free agents historically for a few reasons:
1. they never really have had the cap space to make a huge signing.
2. Boston doesn't have the notoriety of NY or Chicago or the glitz and glamour of LA and Miami when pitching the City to a young millionaire. In NY or Chicago the player can make a lot more money because of the market there, In LA and Miami they can get a lot more fame because of the ridiculousness there. If I was young and had millions I'd probably want to live in one of those places too.
3. Boston is an expensive place to live and earn money. When compared to cities in Florida and Texas, the player can bank a lot more cash than they can in Boston because of taxes and cost of living. I think Boston probably compares favorably in this sense to NY and LA though.

Originally Posted by beansietime

2. Boston doesn't have the notoriety of NY or Chicago or the glitz and glamour of LA and Miami when pitching the City to a young millionaire. In NY or Chicago the player can make a lot more money because of the market there, In LA and Miami they can get a lot more fame because of the ridiculousness there. If I was young and had millions I'd probably want to live in one of those places too.
3. Boston is an expensive place to live and earn money. When compared to cities in Florida and Texas, the player can bank a lot more cash than they can in Boston because of taxes and cost of living. I think Boston probably compares favorably in this sense to NY and LA though.
Right but people said the same thing about the Sox and Patriots before they started becoming top teams too. I think the C's are back for good in terms of being a "top" NBA franchise to play for. Ownership MUST hold their end of the bargain and continue to demand a winner, and not go back to the 90's

Right but people said the same thing about the Sox and Patriots before they started becoming top teams too. I think the C's are back for good in terms of being a "top" NBA franchise to play for. Ownership MUST hold their end of the bargain and continue to demand a winner, and not go back to the 90's
You're really comparing the Sox and Pats who are in the top 3 most valuable franchises in their sports to the C's? I agree that the front office should be more aggressive in getting top free agents but it's a tough sell. There's not much to go on other than history. Like posted before,other cities like LA,Miami,NY,Chicago have more to offer.

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

You're really comparing the Sox and Pats who are in the top 3 most valuable franchises in their sports to the C's? I agree that the front office should be more aggressive in getting top free agents but it's a tough sell. There's not much to go on other than history. Like posted before,other cities like LA,Miami,NY,Chicago have more to offer.
Up until this past season we were promoted as much as any team. 2 finals trips in 3 years. I'd say yes, comparison valid.

Back
Top Bottom