Brace yourselves: @mentions are coming to NikeTalk.

ninjahood's @'s are going to be crazy. The way people call him out.
computersputin.gif

Originally Posted by 

But uh, How about w/ these changes, we get another run of NT fitteds to commemorate this monumental change 
smile.gif
I'm trying.  I've been in touch with Steez/Brilliant and I'm still waiting to hear from Rajah so I can get the original design files.  Maybe we need to send a goon squad out.  If my avatar has a failing, it's his general reluctance to utilize henchmen in performing menial or potentially dangerous tasks.
Another method could be notifications via PM.

Although, if they had a solid app for all smartphones that could utilize push notifications, that would just take the cake. but I'm just sayin
If given an unlimited budget, iOS/Android applications would be great - but it's just not that cost effective for us right now.  The mobile site essentially does pretty much everything but the push notifications.  

What I would like to see is for @mentions to show up alongside other notifications on the mobile site, just as it currently shows you the combined number of new PMs and updated topics waiting for you.  Ideally, you could see a list of these and perhaps they could even show up on your front page feed on the desktop site, too.  

There's stuff that can be done to make the feature better that wouldn't entail QA for 3,000 different devices and os permutations.  And those are the improvements that I think we can reasonably request.  

First, we have to demonstrate demand - and that starts here.  

Basically, we need to substantiate two claims here:  (1) our users value the idea of @mentions, but (2) they'd find them far more useful if _________.   

Let's use it for awhile as is and in the process we can figure out what's it's doing well and where it could benefit from some tweaks. 
Originally Posted by

I never understood why its a @. I'm not speaking AT someone, I'm speaking to them.. I'll never get behind how people use twitter. That lingo is absurd.
I assume it's derived from the email convention,  user@mailserver.  I'm not a fan of the jargon and while I can accept it as a shortcut, I'd like to strip the @ symbol out of the mentions.  Not only do I find it cosmetically unappealing, but, functionally, I don't like the idea of users treating an @mention as a discrete unit.  If it simply appears as a name, the inclination is to use the name in a sentence.  Facebook isn't exactly a model of elevated discourse, and even there you can see the distinction.  "So and so was WITH so and so", not "@blabbityblah wzup #yolo."  

If we can prove that our users understand the feature, we can better make the case that they're not going to FORGET if we make the change.  It's no more challenging than video/photo embedding, and our members are always willing to provide assistance to those who don't yet understand those features.  We believe that any confusion caused by stripping out the @ will be treated by users helping users. 

@akajaedeuce  lol first
@Hypebeast5  Bruh bruh!
Get it all out of your systems now, because this is the type of stuff we're going to delete before it clutters up the forums.  

this site pretty much has everything now, 

is there any other stuff being added?

i also thought that when you click the green thumb you'd be able to see the peoples names that found it helpful.

Last edited:
Rep System 2.0

Some people are going to be upset and some people are going to get way too full of themselves. :lol:

I remember in the first major thread that Methodical Management Methodical Management made after making the move to Huddler I wrote that I wanted to see a notification system similar to this. I'm happy to see that what came to be is actually better than I what I thought would be good. Thank you, Method and NT team.

I'm trying.  I've been in touch with Steez/Brilliant and I'm still waiting to hear from Rajah so I can get the original design files.  Maybe we need to send a goon squad out.  If my avatar has a failing, it's his general reluctance to utilize henchmen in performing menial or potentially dangerous tasks.

If given an unlimited budget, iOS/Android applications would be great - but it's just not that cost effective for us right now.  The mobile site essentially does pretty much everything but the push notifications.  

What I would like to see is for @mentions to show up alongside other notifications on the mobile site, just as it currently shows you the combined number of new PMs and updated topics waiting for you.  Ideally, you could see a list of these and perhaps they could even show up on your front page feed on the desktop site, too.  

There's stuff that can be done to make the feature better that wouldn't entail QA for 3,000 different devices and os permutations.  And those are the improvements that I think we can reasonably request.  

Basically, we need to substantiate two claims here:  (1) our users value the idea of @mentions, but (2) they'd find them far more useful if _________.   

Let's use it for awhile as is and in the process we can figure out what's it's doing well and where it could benefit from some tweaks. 

I assume it's derived from the email convention,  user@mailserver.  I'm not a fan of the jargon and while I can accept it as a shortcut, I'd like to strip the @ symbol out of the mentions.  Not only do I find it cosmetically unappealing, but, functionally, I don't like the idea of users treating an @mention as a discrete unit.  If it simply appears as a name, the inclination is to use the name in a sentence.  Facebook isn't exactly a model of elevated discourse, and even there you can see the distinction.  "So and so was WITH so and so", not "@blabbityblah wzup #yolo."  

If we can prove that our users understand the feature, we can better make the case that they're not going to FORGET if we make the change.  It's no more challenging than video/photo embedding, and our members are always willing to provide assistance to those who don't yet understand those features.  We believe that any confusion caused by stripping out the @ will be treated by users helping users. 

Get it all out of your systems now, because this is the type of stuff we're going to delete before it clutters up the forums.  
roll.gif

no doubt 

if you really want this to work, you need a "mentions" link next to your inbox to see and manage it properly.

Will we ever get the option to embed more content the right way? The whole copy/paste Instagram videos/Vines is sloppy and does not work well with NT Mobile.

so if someone quotes an @ mention...

does the person mentioned get a second notification?

i.e. (pyramid quote).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by

anyone else not seeing the @ update?
Autocomplete requires the rich text editor.  You can still create mentions in the simple editor.  Just enclose the username in the following bbcode brackets:  @

If you're asking about the editor button, I'm still not seeing that, either, and I've made Huddler aware of it.  It's possible that will be introduced in a future update, even though they've already included it in their tutorial.
Originally Posted by

I had to go to settings and switch to rich editor.

:pimp: :smh: :lol:

^ but now I can't type out my emoticons
eyes.gif
Originally Posted by

this site pretty much has everything now, 

is there any other stuff being added?

i also thought that when you click the green thumb you'd be able to see the peoples names that found it helpful.
Quote notifications are coming soon, as an extension of the @mentions feature.  Beyond that, I don't want to commit to something when the timetable is uncertain at the risk of disappointing people.

The site wouldn't be where it is if we didn't listen to each other.  Our team is familiar with the longstanding feature requests and I think recent progress demonstrates that.  

Although I want to stress that there is NO estimated arrival for this feature, as it's primarily of interest to our users and not to Huddler communities at large, I will say this:  

We know that many users (and even some prospective sponsors) have expressed a desire for multiple theme selections.  More to the point: they want a white-based theme option.  (Because all the cool kids want to look exactly like everybody else, I guess.)  One of Yuku's volunteers sort of hacked in a CSS theme toggle for us a couple of years back, but amateurism was pretty much the best we could hope for in those days.  To do it now would require us to do it right, and that's a far more demanding process.  Just know we've heard you on that and it's something we're working towards - but I have no idea when it'll finally see the light of day.  

Quote:

[QUOTE url="/t/571783/brace-yourselves-mentions-are-coming-to-niketalk/90#post_18873749"]
Originally Posted by @Dathbgboy

But uh, How about w/ these changes, we get another run of NT fitteds to commemorate this monumental change :smile:

Another method could be notifications via PM.

Although, if they had a solid app for all smartphones that could utilize push notifications, that would just take the cake. but I'm just sayin

[/quote]

Rajah bout to have a thousand yoppas aimin at him if he don't give up the goods. There's a public need for those fitteds

Back
Top Bottom