Brandon Jennings National Player of the Year (We all saw it coming)

[h2]Hoops signee Jennings named Naismith National Player of the Year[/h2][h3]Guard follows footsteps of Oden, James, Bryant and Mourning[/h3][h4]By: Lance Madden[/h4]
Issue date: 3/6/08 Section: News

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
8cv2zdci.jpg

Media Credit: Nick Prevenas

Oak Hill Academy guard Brandon Jennings heads down the floor in a win over Dudley High School, a game in which he scored 49 points, in McKale Center on Dec. 22. Jennings, a UA signee, has been named the 2008 Naismith National High School Player of the Year.

[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]It's good to be part of the Arizona men's basketball program knowing that ESPN.com's No. 1 high school player will be a Wildcat nextseason. It's even better to know that the player, Brandon Jennings, is legitimately the best high school player in the nation.

Jennings, a 6-foot, 170-pound guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., has been named the 2008 Naismith National High School Player of the Year. Heis the first future Wildcat to be given the award and follows in the footsteps of Kevin Love (2007), Greg Oden (2006), LeBron James (2003), Kobe Bryant (1996)and Alonzo Mourning (1988), just to name a few.

Jennings led his the Warriors to a 34-4 record and a No. 4 ranking by ESPN.com. He finished his senior season averaging 35.5 points, 6.4 assists, 4.0 reboundsand 3.3 steals per game.

En route to his stat-heavy season, Jennings broke several Oak Hill records, becoming the single-season scoring leader with 1,312 points on the year and thesingle-season scoring average record holder. He also scored 49 points in McKale Center at the GOAZCATS.com Showdown on Dec. 22 and set an Oak Hill single-gamerecord when he dropped 63 against Bonner Academy on Feb. 19.

"Those records are going to stand for a while," said Oak Hill's head coach of 23 years, Steve Smith, in a phone interview Thursday. "I knewhe had the talent and the ability to possibly be the player of the year."

Smith said he expects Jennings to be awarded several other Player of the Year accolades, including the Gatorade Player of the Year Award, which will beannounced on March 17

"I was very excited that Brandon won because I had Carmelo and all those guys and they didn't get those awards. Carmelo was supposed to win it - they called me the night before and told me. But lo and behold Raymond Felton got it (in 2002)."

Smith said that Jennings, who will play in the McDonald's All-American Game on March 26 in Milwaukee, shined so brightly this year in part because of the young Warrior squad that started two sophomores and two juniors with Jennings. Last season he averaged 15 points and 11 assists and had many games when he'd take just three or four shots, Smith said. This year, there were many games in which he took over 30 shots.

"I like the fact that he's a scoring point guard," Smith said. "Twenty years ago you would want your point guard to just find his men and set up the offense. That's all changed."

And still, Smith said Jennings is a pass-first point guard who has developed skills that will transition well into the college game.

"If he went straight to the (NBA) league, he would experience a learning curve where he'd have to wait and play behind people," Smith said. "It's hard for guards to go to the league without some college preparation if you're his size. There's so many 7-footers you have to deal with.

"But in college he'll go into Arizona and shine while developing his skills," Smith added. "And then three or four years down the road, he may be ready for the NBA."

Smith said that Jennings understands that basketball is a business and added that he could see the guard staying at Arizona for more than a year if he felt he had to fine-tune his skills. He added that Jennings is a good friend of New Jersey Nets guard Marcus Williams, who also attended Oak Hill, and will get advice from him when the time comes to make the jump to the NBA.

But for now, Smith said Jennings will live in the moment and enjoy being the best high school player in America.

"I didn't see how anyone could get the award besides Brandon," Smith said. "He earned it on the court."

smh.gif
at Rivals still only having him 7th in his class. Jerry Meyer is a punk.

Anyway Brandon Jennings is
pimp.gif
ness

I have a STRONG feeling im in the minority here, and yes Ive only seen him once and maybe thats why, but I saw him in a nationally televised game vs St.Benedicts from Newark and dude just did not impress me all that much. He seemed like a good d1 prospect but not a #1 in his class type guy.......maybe he justhad an off game or somethin....

Originally Posted by blackredxiiigoat

I have a STRONG feeling im in the minority here, and yes Ive only seen him once and maybe thats why, but I saw him in a nationally televised game vs St. Benedicts from Newark and dude just did not impress me all that much. He seemed like a good d1 prospect but not a #1 in his class type guy.......maybe he just had an off game or somethin....

Not questioning your opinion but dude did set the Oak Hill single season scoring record and single game record. And that's no joke at Oak Hill. Notto mention he averaged 34 and 6 against probably the toughest HS schedule in the country. Just go on youtube I'm sure you can find some of his"better games"
laugh.gif

I have a STRONG feeling im in the minority here, and yes Ive only seen him once and maybe thats why, but I saw him in a nationally televised game vs St. Benedicts from Newark and dude just did not impress me all that much. He seemed like a good d1 prospect but not a #1 in his class type guy.......maybe he just had an off game or somethin....

St. Benedict's (or is it St. Anthony's)
One of those schools ALWAYS shuts down the opposing teams biggest threat.....

Zona will be scary if Bayless and Budinger stay
eek.gif

(even though I doubt they will stay)

darius miller > jennings

tongue.gif

any kind of idea on whether Bayless is staying? waiting on the coaching situation to clear up?

Originally Posted by dfresh244

Not questioning your opinion but dude did set the Oak Hill single season scoring record and single game record. And that's no joke at Oak Hill. Not to mention he averaged 34 and 6 against probably the toughest HS schedule in the country. Just go on youtube I'm sure you can find some of his "better games"
laugh.gif

Not to throw shade on the man...but OH had one of their weakest teams ever compared to past years.

I can't see anyway Bayless would be back...he's a lock for the high end of the lottery

Not questioning your opinion but dude did set the Oak Hill single season scoring record and single game record. And that's no joke at Oak Hill. Not to mention he averaged 34 and 6 against probably the toughest HS schedule in the country. Just go on youtube I'm sure you can find some of his "better games"
I agree, I saw him play twice in person this season as well as on TV once. I'm not into all the hype. I closely watched him the two times inperson and I think anyone could average 30 a game in his position. (he went for over 30 both times I saw him) When I saw this kid takes every shot on his teamI mean he takes EVERY shot especially in the 4th quarter. That's how they got beat a matter of fact by a team her in Richmond because in the fourth quarterson was just jackin up shots like he lost his mind. I honestly don't think he is as good as people think he is RIGHT NOW. That can change once he is in AZ.You have to drop 30 if you take that many shots you just got to. Are the player stats available for that team this year ?

This year's OH team IS very weak that's why he has to score so much. Last year he averaged like 15 points and 14 assists per game. This year he'spretty much the only scorer so thats what he does.

See...I knew I wasnt crazy lol...still though, like I said I realize my opinion is the minority, not the MAJority.

And yea dre and allen, its def. St. Ant's...lol...that squad is NO JOKE...I seen them play in person this year and they are the business...My girl'syounger brother plays for a squad, Cardinal McCarick HS in Jersey, they a good team but St. Ants straight tore into them...Depth and D1 prospects to spare

arizona would be stack if they can return their star players

havent seen too much of bayless, what kind of player is he similar to in the nba (gilbert?)? is he a lottery pick and where does he rank among pgs coming out?

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I can't see anyway Bayless would be back...he's a lock for the high end of the lottery

Bayless needs to return and Budinger better not even think about trying to enter. Bayless is a pg at the next level. He wont get to work on it that muchnext to Jennings, but he will look even better next year playing with him. Jennings is
pimp.gif
. One of the only high schoolers that impresses me. He from my city too

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

If Bayless stays around a year
eek.gif

Seriously, him and Chase need to stay. They can't go out on such a sour note. Jennings is a nasty human being.
sick.gif

peep the blog http://www.goazcatsblog.com/definitely-not-disney-world/

Definitely not Disney World
Posted March 6, 2008 by Justin Adler 6 Comments

Brandon JenningsBrandon Jennings you just won the 2008 Naismith National High School Player of the Year Award. Wh
Brandon Jennings you just won the 2008 Naismith National High School Player of the Year Award. What are you going to do next?

I'm going to Arizona!!!

Wait… What?!… Arizona?!… The same unranked, whose-the-coach, possible-tourney-bubble-team University of Arizona.

While I'm just as amped as anybody for Jennings arrival next year, I think it's worth noting how unique Jennings' decision has became since he signed on to the UA program last summer.

Five of the past 10 Naismith Award winners jumped straight into the pros. Of the other five only Dajuan Wagner's Memphis team did not make it to the Tournament during his high school senior year. Additionally Greg Oden's Ohio State University was the only team of the remaining four to not make it past the second round while Oden was a high school senior. However, the Buckeyes still finished the season ranked No. 13 in the ESPN/USA Today Polls.

If Arizona's season finishes as it's projected, Jennings will become the first Naismith Award winner since Wagner (Memphis) to play for a team which finished the season unranked.

The last player to win the Naismith Prep of the Year Award from Oak Hill Academy was Ron Mercer in 1995. Mercer was committed to a University of Kentucky team which made it to the Elite Eight the same year.

Back
Top Bottom