Brands really mad that we are using their ™ name as nouns Vol. Velcro, Band-aid, Kleenex, Vaseline

I've received cease and desist letters from Luxottica for using the word 'wayfarer' and Alex Brands for using 'Slinky' on listings :lol: :smh:

Companies should be happy their product is that widely known.
they lose trademark protection. Word to nylon

The word nylon is no longer a trademark as it was deemed to have become a generic term. In a historic lawsuit competitors claimed that Nylon was such a household word that it could no longer be considered a Registered Trademark. As a result, Nylon is now a word in the English Language.

I swear business muddles life so much. No one cares about their gripe. 99% of people aren't that specific and/or don't care enough. I've never in life heard a person refer to it as hook and loop.

Its almost ironic that when you become so successful, you suffer.

The worst part is you know that they correct people about that stuff in real life.
Xerox and 3M are other examples.
To an extent, Google , Nike and Coke as well.

Edit: found a list of several others

https://amp.businessinsider.com/google-taser-xerox-brand-names-generic-words-2018-5

I can understand them not wanting you to use wayfarer to sell sunglasses.

Slinky though? Damn what the heck else are those called?

I would have respected their wishes if they didn't try to convince me with that atrocious song

Everything getting called Velcro now

It's like a paradox. You get so successful that the fame swallows you.
It reminds me of the saying regarding cancer "there's no money in a cure". They have to stay in between.

I swear business muddles life so much. No one cares about their gripe. 99% of people aren't that specific and/or don't care enough. I've never in life heard a person refer to it as hook and loop.

The worst part is you know that they correct people about that stuff in real life.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/google-taser-xerox-brand-names-generic-words-2018-5

MIND = BLOWN by a few of these.
Bubble wrap, dumpster, escalator, laundromat. :wow:

You are missing the business aspect of it.

When it becomes a generic term, companies end up losing out on $ since they lose out on the trademarks.

Y’all have NO IDEA how long it takes to name a brand. I saw one giant food company spend $15M coming with the proper name.

Back
Top Bottom