Braves release Tom Glavine.

[h1]Braves release Tom Glavine[/h1]
By David O'Brien

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

In a surprising move, the Braves released Tom Glavine on Wednesday, only days before he was expected to be added to the major-league rotation. They avoided paying the 305-game winner a $1 million bonus he was owed if he had been added to the major-league roster.

Glavine, 43, had been on the disabled list all season recovering from August shoulder and elbow surgeries. He pitched six scoreless innings in what was supposed to be his final minor-league rehab start Tuesday for Class A Rome.

Turns out it was the left-hander's final start for the Braves organization, period. Glavine left Turner Field without speaking to reporters today, and the move was announced after the clubhouse was closed and players were off-limits to the media.

Braves general manager Frank Wren was expected to talk to reporters at 6:30 p.m.

However, in a prepared statement he said: "We appreciate and respect everything Tom has done for and brought to the Atlanta Braves organization and our fans. His accomplishments for our club during his Hall of Fame career is a measure of his dedication that we will always respect and admire. We wish him nothing but the best."

Glavine, a former two-time Cy Young Award winner never went on the disabled list until 2008, when he was 2-4 with a 5.54 ERA in 13 starts before surgeries on his left elbow and shoulder.

He signed a one-year contract in February that includes a $1 million guaranteed salary, a $1 million bonus when he made the active roster, and bonuses of $1.25 million after 30 days on the roster, and another $1.25 million bonus after 90 days.

I'm kind of mixed on this one...

On one hand...Glavine is running on fumes at this age and we'd be lucky to get a 4.50 ERA out of him. This must have been done to clear the path forTommy Hanson.

On the other hand...with the way they announced this, it seems kind of like they just $%%! on one of the greatest players to ever play for the franchise.They let dude rehab and now they dump him instead of paying him the roster bonus.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by DLo13

with the way they announced this, it seems kind of like they just $%%! on one of the greatest players to ever play for the franchise. They let dude rehab and now they dump him instead of paying him the roster bonus.
grin.gif

wow....weird timing on this move. Glavine was rehabbing real well and by the time he was supposed to be ready to return, the FO cuts him?
eyes.gif

This isn't the Braves I know. They're better then that.
smh.gif

Well, if Tom wants to keep pitching, I hope he can land on a contender and give it another run. Best of luck to dude.

Originally Posted by JaysForDays

why would anyone want Glavine? he's a geezer running on E.
You know Stan Kasten has a thing for dudes that the Braves dump...
nerd.gif

In a text message Wednesday night Glavine said: "I am surprised and disappointed. I'm ready to pitch."

tired.gif

Tommy Hanson did get called up and debuts on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom