Breaking News: Jayson Williams sentenced to 5 years in prison

smh.gif

[h1] Jayson Williams Sentenced to 5 Years [/h1] [h2]"I'm not a bad man, but I acted badly," says tearful Williams[/h2] [h5]ByTRACIE STRAHAN and BRIAN THOMPSON [/h5]
jayson-williams.jpg

Getty Images

Former NJ Nets star Jayson Williamswas sentenced Tuesday morning to five years behind bars for his role inthe 2002 shooting of his limo driver Costas "Gus" Christofi. He mustserve a minimum of 18 months before he can be eligible for parole.

JudgeEdward Coleman accepted the plea deal Williams agreed to last month. Inreturn for pleading guilty, the state changed the charge against him toaggravated assault instead of reckless manslaughter.

A remorseful Williams cried as he apologized to his family and begged for forgiveness.

"Forgiveme for the pain I have caused," said a tearful Williams in court. "Youdeserve a better father, brother, son than I have been."

Williamswas acquitted of aggravated manslaughter in 2004 but convicted on fourcounts of covering up the shooting. His sentence for those convictionswill run concurrent to the assault sentence.

Prosecutors say it's about time Williams face the consequences of his behavior.

"Mr. Williams has a dark side," said Steven Farman of the StateAttorney General's office. " With wealth and fame comes responsibility.It is time, after eight long years, for Mr. Christofi's voice to beheard."

Farmanadded that in Williams' bedroom was "an arsenal of weapons to arm asmall militia -- There's a reason why we call it a deadly weapon."

Williamsapologized profusely to the Christofi family, saying he's visited thedead man's grave more times than he has his own father's.

"Frommy heart there's not a day I don't wake up and feel sorry for what Idid to Mr. Christofi," Williams said. "I'm not a bad man, but I actedbadly."

Freeon bail since pleading guilty last month, Williams, who turned 42on Monday, has been wearing an alcohol monitoring bracelet as orderedby a judge.

This after being charged with drunk driving for crashing his SUV in Manhattan.

Judge Coleman told Williams in court that he blames alcohol "for you being here today."

Williams will reportedly be transported to a facility in Trenton. After spending time there, authorities will decide the location where he'll serve his sentence.

Sad sad sad. If he would've just chilled out he would be still doing color commentary right now. I honestly believe dude is a good guy, but he just makes bad choices.

I'm still trying to get over how he thought he could trick the cops last time by switching seats
laugh.gif

He mustserve a minimum of 18 months before he can be eligible for parole.

I think we've seen this enough to know his real sentence will be closer to that number than 5 years.

im not saying the sentence was harsh at all

just a saying i tend to use crappy situations. poor choice of words (especially in this situation) but its a habit of mine

He gave the family 2-3.1 million dollars and the family told the judge to have mercy on him, so that's why his sentence is light.

Dirtylicious wrote:
5 yrs for killing a man is hardly a harsh sentence in my book
He got sentenced 8 years later 2

What exactly happened?

I know he shot the limo driver on accident but what did he do to try and cover it up?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

u make it sound like he's a cold blooded killer.....dudes only crime was trying to cove rit up

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck

u make it sound like he's a cold blooded killer.....dudes only crime was trying to cove rit up
indifferent.gif

yeah..right.lets forget the fact that he pulled the trigger of a loaded gun the direction of a man and killed him

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck

u make it sound like he's a cold blooded killer.....[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]dudes only crime was trying to cove rit up[/color]
indifferent.gif

I know he shot the limo driver on accident but what did he do to try and cover it up?
He tried to put the driver's fingerprints on the gun to make it look like a suicide.

Originally Posted by Steve212

He gave the family 2-3.1 million dollars and the family told the judge to have mercy on him, so that's why his sentence is light.
didn't know about that

Back
Top Bottom