Brethren, Please Help Diagnose me. Also Ignore the "Authenticate" prompt...

So for about a week now, I've had a cold of sorts. This is nothing out of the ordinary...

Yesterday, I noticed something weird.

When I excrete mucus/phlegm from my left nostril, I am pretty much blowing blood out; from my right nostril, however, the phlegm is standard color--white/clear.

Today, things got weider. My left nostril just begun leaking bloody phlegm (combination of blood and watery mucus), and when I say leaking, I mean flowing like an open pipe. I was actually in the train (car was empty--thank goodness) when this happened and I was sooo shook. I've never had a nose bleed in my life, so seeing blood gush out of my left nostril was pretty traumatizing. Again, my right nostril was fine.

I just googled my symptoms to see if I could get some answers and I'm not getting anything remotely accurate. For instance, it says that red/brown/bloody mucus could be a sign of asthma or bronchitis; I am neither asthmatic nor do I have a bronchial infection. I also don't have an irritated throat, I don't smoke, and rarely drink (I had one bottle of wheat beer, last week, and it was my first alcoholic beverage in about ~7 months)--the other possible reasons for having bloody phlegm.

The only other thing I feel the need to point out is that when I am engaged in an activity that creates and/or results in sudden movement of my head (running, bumpy car and/train ride, etc) I feel a localized pain in an area somewhere above the molars in the left side of my face; this is the same side with the bloody nostril. I'm sure they are related. (Though, I can't imagine what the genesis of the pain could be, as I haven't been struck in the face nor have I had an infection of any kind in recent memory. I honestly hardly ever get sick).

I know what you're already thinking--go see a doctor. I know, but I can't unfortunately. Your boy aint got medical coverage no mo'...:frown:.

So yeah, if anyone has experienced symptoms like mine and would like to shed some light on the matter, I'd greatly appreciate it. I know there are some Mds and Nurses on here. Any info would be greatly welcomed.

It could very well be nothing, but with no coverage, my psychological state is red alert.

Last edited:
So for about a week now, I've had a cold of sorts. This is nothing out of the ordinary...

Yesterday, I noticed something weird.

When I excrete mucus/phlegm from my left nostril, I am pretty much blowing blood out; from my right nostril, however, the phlegm is standard color--white/clear.

Today, things got weider. My left nostril just begun leaking bloody phlegm (combination of blood and watery mucus), and when I say leaking, I mean flowing like an open pipe. I was actually in the train (car was empty--thank goodness) when this happened and I was sooo shook. I've never had a nose bleed in my life, so seeing blood gush out of my left nostril was pretty traumatizing. Again, my right nostril was fine.

I just googled my symptoms to see if I could get some answers and I'm not getting anything remotely accurate. For instance, it says that red/brown/bloody mucus could be a sign of asthma or bronchitis; I am neither asthmatic nor do I have a bronchial infection. I also don't have an irritated throat, I don't smoke, and rarely drink (I had one bottle of wheat beer, last week, and it was my first alcoholic beverage in about ~7 months)--the other possible reasons for having bloody phlegm.

The only other thing I feel the need to point out is that when I am engaged in an activity that creates and/or results in sudden movement of my head (running, bumpy car and/train ride, etc) I feel a localized pain in an area somewhere above the molars in the left side of my face; this is the same side with the bloody nostril. I'm sure they are related. (Though, I can't imagine what the genesis of the pain could be, as I haven't been struck in the face nor have I had an infection of any kind in recent memory. I honestly hardly ever get sick).

I know what you're already thinking--go see a doctor. I know, but I can't unfortunately. Your boy aint got medical coverage no mo'...:frown:.

So yeah, if anyone has experienced symptoms like mine and would like to shed some light on the matter, I'd greatly appreciate it. I know there are some Mds and Nurses on here. Any info would be greatly welcomed.

It could very well be nothing, but with no coverage, my psychological state is red alert.

Strong username to post content ratio.

You need to see a doctor for real tho,.

where's Anton?

nerd.gif

what is it,  I don't want click.

no insurance is a motha, I had what looked like blood in my eyes and stttoooopid headache, and just had kanye shrug it off 
tired.gif

what is it,  I don't want click.

no insurance is a motha, I had what looked like blood in my eyes and stttoooopid headache, and just had kanye shrug it off 
tired.gif

He got an eel stuck up his rectum. Don't click the spoiler if you have a weak stomach, he included pics.

that's serious, do you live in NY? if so I had a very bad stomach infection and had to go to the ER. I didn't have insurance, but they gave me some papers to fill out that ended up covering my bills. you really got to get that checked out. either with your primary care doctor or go to the ER.

try signing up for medicaid after this too. 

http://www.healthcare.gov/using-insurance/low-cost-care/medicaid/#howmed

Last edited:
You can always go to the Emergency Room of a hospital and get checked out.  Might be like $50, but if you don't have the money you can let it go to collections...

Last edited:
I do live in NY.

Do you know what papers they were? I'll try to google.

I could probably go see a dr. if ishh hit the fan, (I have money, not too much though) but right now a part of me feels like whatever is happening to me will pass. Right now, I feel like I am on edge simply as a consequence of NOT having insurance; if I had coverage, I would probably be like "it's whatever...yolo."...:lol:

This leads me to my next point, and something I was thinking about all day: insurance is worth having, if you are an otherwise healthy and able-bodied individual, because it provides a certain level of psychological comfort. It's like psychological morphine in a way.

[QUOTE url="[URL]http://www.askthedoctor.com/topics-a-z/41-cold-and-flu/4196-cold-with-bloody-nose.html[/URL]"]
Dear Ask The Doctor:
  • I have a cold with severe head pressure. sometimes when I blow my nose it is bloody is that normal or not good just switched insurance not sure when it takes affect

Dear Rob:
  • A bleeding nose during an upper respiratory infection is common.  I would only see a doctor if the bleeding nose continues for more that 15 minutes.  If it is occurring only when forcefully blowing your nose, it is not of concern unless it continues well past the resolution of your cold.
  • As you recover, the use of a saline myst or nasal spray may help with your symptoms.  The head pressure you describe is common in sinus infections and a nasal spray would be beneficial for that as well.

http://www.askthedoctor.com/topics-a-z/41-cold-and-flu/4196-cold-with-bloody-nose.html

Not sure if you came across this post, but if that didn't help then you can always go to the Emergency Room of a hospital and get checked out.  Might be like $50, but if you don't have the money you can let it go to collections...
[/quote]

I don't have head pressure, and I am not coughing. This is why I am at a loss as far as self diagnosis is concerned. Right now, sitting upright while typing, my nasal passage is clear. I can breathe almost as easily as I could if I didn't have this mild cold I am experiencing.

If I tilt my head to the right though, I feel something running down (from somewhere) and pooling in my left nostril. Next, when I tilt my head forward and downward, the blood/mucus starts flowing out and onto the floor/sink etc. It's very "flowy" when I clear out my nose this way.

When I forcefully blow out my nose, however, it's thick and bloody...:x. This is all in my left nostril. When I blow my right nostril, I get barely anything. And if something comes out, it's the standard white/clear color. Also my right nostril doesn't run at at.

So yeah, I am pretty stumped right now. Prolly just pass like I said, but it's just all so nerve-wracking. Finna O.D on some fruits and veges tomorrow.

Also is the ER only $50? Thought it was north of $200+? Damn if it's that cheap then I'll def. be going to one. I can afford $50.

Last edited:
Not sure if you came across this post, but if that didn't help then you can always go to the Emergency Room of a hospital and get checked out.  Might be like $50, but if you don't have the money you can let it go to collections...
Also is the ER only $50? Thought it was north of $200+? Damn if it's that cheap then I'll def. be going to one. I can afford $50.
Actually, don't quote me on that because I read the prices differs depending on what the doctor does.  Check to see if there are any clinics near you or go to Urgent Care, the price should still be under $200...

funny how all the doctors on the sie dont know ish about things having to do with health issues 
laugh.gif

forget going to the doctor and taking medicine

all you need is a big healthy dose of jesus and some good ol bible reading.

if you can wait till sunday go to your nearest church and pray.

you just need faith and a good relationship with the lord.

Last edited:
funny how all the doctors on the sie dont know ish about things having to do with health issues 
laugh.gif

:rofl:

If the weather is very dry or humid you could simply have a bloody nose and this is nothing to worry about.

How is ur diet?
Are u recovering from a fever or something

No fever. I never get sick, honestly.

Diet is normal. If anything, I am eating healthier now than in recent memory (been slowly cutting out fast food and eating home cooked meals at work).

LITERALLY AS SOON AS I ENTERED THIS THREAD I GOT THE SAME THING.

Wrong thread.

Edit: On second thought, right thread.

LITERALLY AS SOON AS I ENTERED THIS THREAD I GOT THE SAME THING.

Last edited:
Ive gotten bloody mucus before too but it goes away.
How long had this been occurring? Give it a couple days and see what happens

Last edited:
laugh.gif

:rofl:

ok let me try to use my 2nd year skillz...

salient features:
-normal colored sputum
-no recent illness
-L side maxillary pain at times
-L sinus pooling
-R side of nose/face ok

let me ask a few more questions:
-its only on the left side every time?
-no recent head trauma/injury? no recent fever/illness?
-you said you havent been coughing, have you been sneezing? do you have allergies?
-any recent dental work in that area?
-any other differences youve noticed at all in your body/health?
-when did it start?
-is any area of your face swollen/red/warm at all?

from what i can tell it sounds like theres some bleeding into the maxillary sinus (cheekbone area, spans from upper molar to nose) on the left. nosebleeds arent a problem if theyre associated with trauma, hell i got sick a few months back, sneezing/coughing nonstop, and the nosebleeds came.

white-ish mucus is normal. even if you dont have a cold or allergies. green would signify a respiratory infection.

without some kind of trauma, my limited knowledge doesnt know whats happening. please see urgent care/ER ASAP.

You can always go to the Emergency Room of a hospital and get checked out.  Might be like $50, but if you don't have the money you can let it go to collections...

What?!? An ER visit is NOT $50. You won't make it past triage for $50. Most urgent care places you have to have insurance for, otherwise they won't accept seeing you. Try finding a charity care clinic. Those are free and they can get you help.

Its probably sinusitis or a respiratory infection. You should be on an antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom