Brett Favre to retire

One of the true legends of the game. You will be missed Mr. Favre... thanks for all the memories and highlights!
frown.gif

^ No problem.

For future reference, the filter doesn't filter variations of curse words. Like, it will edit the 'b' word, but not 'sonofab___h'.

Now you know.

No biggie.

Sal Palantonio (sp?) was on the radio, and he CLUBBED Brett Favre....I can't remember verbatim what he said, but I'll do my best....he was making somegood points, but see if you agree with anything here...

*He said that Brett Favre might not even be the BEST QB in Packers history...that honor would go to Bart Starr

*The Packers had been un-defeated at Lambeau, but are 2-3 in their past playoff games at home...Favre has lost to Vick, Culpepper, and Eli Manning...all ofwhom DON'T have the HOF resume

*Favre is horrid in the clutch. The INT's especially in the playoffs have been terrible. Palantonio said if he had to pick a QB to win a game in theclosing moments or when everything was on the line, Favre would not be anywhere close to the top of his list. He said, Montana, Aikman, Young, etc would neverhave such lapses in judgment like Favre.

*On the INT tip, Palantonio was saying that if a guy like McNabb had thrown 2 picks in OT, he would have to move back to Chicago ASAP, Eli would never be ableto leave GB, etc etc....Favre gets/got all sorts of passes over the course of his career

*Green Bay was favored by 14 in the SB a few years back, but lost to Elway and the Broncos.

Bottom line is that Favre is without a doubt a first ballot HOF'er, and one of the best to play QB. However, over the past 10 years, his #'s aren'tnearly as good as people should ought to believe. He had a mystique about him which often skewed or blinded many to a lot of his inadequacies. Especially thosein GB, who viewed him as someone who could do no wrong...

I'll dig around and see if I can find a transcript from the show today (John Riggins Show), but that was the gist of what he was saying.....

Discuss

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Sal Palantonio (sp?) was on the radio, and he CLUBBED Brett Favre....I can't remember verbatim what he said, but I'll do my best....he was making some good points, but see if you agree with anything here...

*He said that Brett Favre might not even be the BEST QB in Packers history...that honor would go to Bart Starr

*The Packers had been un-defeated at Lambeau, but are 2-3 in their past playoff games at home...Favre has lost to Vick, Culpepper, and Eli Manning...all of whom DON'T have the HOF resume

*Favre is horrid in the clutch. The INT's especially in the playoffs have been terrible. Palantonio said if he had to pick a QB to win a game in the closing moments or when everything was on the line, Favre would not be anywhere close to the top of his list. He said, Montana, Aikman, Young, etc would never have such lapses in judgment like Favre.

*On the INT tip, Palantonio was saying that if a guy like McNabb had thrown 2 picks in OT, he would have to move back to Chicago ASAP, Eli would never be able to leave GB, etc etc....Favre gets/got all sorts of passes over the course of his career

*Green Bay was favored by 14 in the SB a few years back, but lost to Elway and the Broncos.

Bottom line is that Favre is without a doubt a first ballot HOF'er, and one of the best to play QB. However, over the past 10 years, his #'s aren't nearly as good as people should ought to believe. He had a mystique about him which often skewed or blinded many to a lot of his inadequacies. Especially those in GB, who viewed him as someone who could do no wrong...

I'll dig around and see if I can find a transcript from the show today (John Riggins Show), but that was the gist of what he was saying.....

Discuss

Favre completed 25 out of 42 passes for 256 yards and 3 touchdowns, with 1 interception.

Elway finished the game with 12 out of 22 pass completions, for 123 yards and 1 interception.

Favre deserved to win that Superbowl, Terrell Davis just beasted, and Elway faded into obscurity. In that case, Brady isn't great either because hedidn't finish the undefeated season.

Horrid in the clutch is a bit of an overstatement I think, he has led dozens and dozens of 4th quarter comebacks, he just throws more picks to end the game(on the last drive) then he does failing to gain 10 yards on 4 downs.

I'd also like to add, how do these people always forget his freakin' 3 MVPs... Or how he might just be the toughest football player ever, dudesuffered a concussion, goes out on 4th down against the coaches will and throws the long +*# TD to Javon Walker. Or how about that time he was murdered bythree Steelers, went to the sidelines coughing blood, next play? Touchdown to score what would win them the game and clinch the division. How about havingarguably his greatest game ever the day after his father passes away?

I'll give you that the losses to the Vikings and Falcons were just terrible, but this last one against the Giants... That last pass wasn't a baddecision, just a lousy throw in terrible weather. I've always thought Favre is much better off in fair weather (even though he had some rediculouslyobscure record of being 36-0 when it was colder than 36 degrees Fahrenheit) because with the risky decisions he makes, he really needs to be on the money, anda lot of the time he was, 288 times... not so much.

On espn right now this dude is speaking my mind....Says he does not believe in Favre staying retired..hes positive that Favre will come back which is excactlywhat im saying

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

On espn right now this dude is speaking my mind....Says he does not believe in Favre staying retired..hes positive that Favre will come back which is excactly what im saying

If he does that... I will lose practically all my respect for him. Because then it will be CERTAIN this was all just a stunt to show the team they shouldhave got Randy...

^ i was also thinking if he comes back he will get ribbed like a mother for being a drama queen...but still i can see it happening and i want it to happen

Yoooo....after listening to that Mortensen voicemail over and over....is it me or does Favre just sound straight up bitter/mad??

Every time I listen to it, I can't help but think "Damn Favre, why the hell are you so pissed for?"

After going to work today in Wisconsin, the first full day after everybody found out about Brett retiring, I noticed that a lot of people were actuallyphysically bummed out about it like they had lost a family member. It made me realize how much people in Wisconsin really do live through the Packers andthrough Favre. There is nothing else here. Our MLB team always sucks, our NBA team always sucks, we have no nightlife or entertainment, it's almostdepressing for me to even think about. Heck, Green Bay is the 3rd largest city in Wisconsin with 105,000 people, and where I grew up that was "the bigcity." But one thing everybody could always count on (minus the 2 seasons before this year) is the Packers being pretty good and Brett Favre being BrettFavre. My friends in college from out of state couldn't believe all the yellow Packers license plates on just about ever other car that passes, and thecountless Packer shrines in people's yards all year round, and marquee signs with Packer references even during the off season. My friend is turning 24next month and he will be getting his chance at season tickets this year, only because his dad signed his name up when he was born....and now, 24 years laterhe is getting the opportunity to get tickets.

It's hard to explain, but to a lot of people the Green Bay Packers ARE Wisconsin, and Brett was one of the best to ever do it here or anywhere else. Allthe big cities that host pro sports teams have their glory a million times over....just let us have this one.

Originally Posted by Nek32

After going to work today in Wisconsin, the first full day after everybody found out about Brett retiring, I noticed that a lot of people were actually physically bummed out about it like they had lost a family member. It made me realize how much people in Wisconsin really do live through the Packers and through Favre. There is nothing else here. Our MLB team always sucks, our NBA team always sucks, we have no nightlife or entertainment, it's almost depressing for me to even think about. Heck, Green Bay is the 3rd largest city in Wisconsin with 105,000 people, and where I grew up that was "the big city." But one thing everybody could always count on (minus the 2 seasons before this year) is the Packers being pretty good and Brett Favre being Brett Favre. My friends in college from out of state couldn't believe all the yellow Packers license plates on just about ever other car that passes, and the countless Packer shrines in people's yards all year round, and marquee signs with Packer references even during the off season. My friend is turning 24 next month and he will be getting his chance at season tickets this year, only because his dad signed his name up when he was born....and now, 24 years later he is getting the opportunity to get tickets.

It's hard to explain, but to a lot of people the Green Bay Packers ARE Wisconsin, and Brett was one of the best to ever do it here or anywhere else. All the big cities that host pro sports teams have their glory a million times over....just let us have this one.

Preach.

It's actually kind of sad, it's like Wisconsin is a whole nother country in mourning due to the loss of its leader... It would be funny if Brett ranfor Governor
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom