BUJU BANTON FOUND GUILTY OF CONSPIRACY TO DISTRIBUTE COKE

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

Originally Posted by r33p04s

thytkerjobs wrote:
30t6p3b.gif
 do the crime, do the time. mad he's reppin my country like that.
brb re-reading my post to find where I said that he was the first/last Jamaican to traffic drugs

Why do I always have to do this...You said you were ashamed of how he was reppin' yard...obviously in reference to his recent drug trafficking conviction...I replied with he is not the first or the last...most times you don't know they get locked up...don't get worked up just cause a Buju dem lock upMy girl you earned this one
indifferent.gif

10 yrs...not bad

[h1]Buju Banton sentenced to 10 years in prison for cocaine trafficking[/h1]
The controversial reggae star is imprisoned by a Florida judge for his role in a cocaine deal, and hopes to be out in six years

Buju-Banton-007.jpg

Buju Banton has been sentenced to 10 years in US prison for his role in a cocaine deal. Photograph: Linda Nylind for the Guardian

The reggae star Buju Banton has been sentenced to 10 years in US prison for his role in a cocaine deal. His first trial on the charges ended last September in a mistrial, but in February he was convicted of conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute cocaine, possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offence, and using a telephone to facilitate a drug trafficking offence.

At Tampa federal court in Florida, Judge James S Moody gave Banton – real name Mark Myrie – the most lenient sentence permitted for thedrugs charges. Judge Moody threw out the gun conviction, which would have extended the sentence by five years, accepting Banton was not carrying a gun and did not know his confederates were doing so. Allowing for time served and good behaviour, his attorney said he could be free in six years.

"The man is not dead. Don't call him a ghost," said 37-year-old Banton in a statement. "The days that lie ahead are filled with despair, but I have courage and grace and I'm hopeful, and that is sufficient to carry me through."

During the trial, prosecutor James Preston portrayed Banton as a self-assured drug broker, offering as evidence several video and audiotapes made by an informant – including footage of Banton tasting cocaine at a Florida warehouse in 2009. But the singer was not present at the actual drug deal at the centre of the case, and Preston insisted Banton was just a "big talker". Dozens of supporters wrote letters to the court, including major reggae artists, a Jamaican government official, several of Banton's 15 children, and actor Danny Glover, who called Banton a "role model, philanthropist and spiritual leader in the community".

Banton's defence team said they plan to appeal. "This fight is not over," said attorney David Markus. "We will keep fighting for him. [Banton] is my brother, and I'm going to keep fighting until they tell me to stop."

A major reggae star for two decades, Banton became notorious for homophobic lyrics. Despite reports in 2007 that he had signed a pledge to stop performing homophobic music, Banton's management has denied any such agreement. Banton blamed Jamaica's rife homophobia for the tone of his lyrics, saying he could be seen by his Jamaican fans to be seen as sympathetic to gay rights. "Let's face the reality," he said in 2009. "Whatever is said in a positive light can't get out."

Banton won a Grammy award for best reggae album for his 2009 albumRasta Got Soul.

10 yrs...not bad

[h1]Buju Banton sentenced to 10 years in prison for cocaine trafficking[/h1]
The controversial reggae star is imprisoned by a Florida judge for his role in a cocaine deal, and hopes to be out in six years

Buju-Banton-007.jpg

Buju Banton has been sentenced to 10 years in US prison for his role in a cocaine deal. Photograph: Linda Nylind for the Guardian

The reggae star Buju Banton has been sentenced to 10 years in US prison for his role in a cocaine deal. His first trial on the charges ended last September in a mistrial, but in February he was convicted of conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute cocaine, possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offence, and using a telephone to facilitate a drug trafficking offence.

At Tampa federal court in Florida, Judge James S Moody gave Banton – real name Mark Myrie – the most lenient sentence permitted for thedrugs charges. Judge Moody threw out the gun conviction, which would have extended the sentence by five years, accepting Banton was not carrying a gun and did not know his confederates were doing so. Allowing for time served and good behaviour, his attorney said he could be free in six years.

"The man is not dead. Don't call him a ghost," said 37-year-old Banton in a statement. "The days that lie ahead are filled with despair, but I have courage and grace and I'm hopeful, and that is sufficient to carry me through."

During the trial, prosecutor James Preston portrayed Banton as a self-assured drug broker, offering as evidence several video and audiotapes made by an informant – including footage of Banton tasting cocaine at a Florida warehouse in 2009. But the singer was not present at the actual drug deal at the centre of the case, and Preston insisted Banton was just a "big talker". Dozens of supporters wrote letters to the court, including major reggae artists, a Jamaican government official, several of Banton's 15 children, and actor Danny Glover, who called Banton a "role model, philanthropist and spiritual leader in the community".

Banton's defence team said they plan to appeal. "This fight is not over," said attorney David Markus. "We will keep fighting for him. [Banton] is my brother, and I'm going to keep fighting until they tell me to stop."

A major reggae star for two decades, Banton became notorious for homophobic lyrics. Despite reports in 2007 that he had signed a pledge to stop performing homophobic music, Banton's management has denied any such agreement. Banton blamed Jamaica's rife homophobia for the tone of his lyrics, saying he could be seen by his Jamaican fans to be seen as sympathetic to gay rights. "Let's face the reality," he said in 2009. "Whatever is said in a positive light can't get out."

Banton won a Grammy award for best reggae album for his 2009 albumRasta Got Soul.

Originally Posted by Eyrkel

Y'all actually believe the charges
laugh.gif
, Listen to his music and realize why these real lies have been placed upon him open your eyes. Not a conspiracy theorist but come y'all have we become this warped and easily manipulated into believe anything that is told us.

more info is needed

Originally Posted by Eyrkel

Y'all actually believe the charges
laugh.gif
, Listen to his music and realize why these real lies have been placed upon him open your eyes. Not a conspiracy theorist but come y'all have we become this warped and easily manipulated into believe anything that is told us.

more info is needed

^I don't know if these are lies or not,but a CERTAIN portion of that article posted on this page did make me do a double take.

^I don't know if these are lies or not,but a CERTAIN portion of that article posted on this page did make me do a double take.

I've been thinking Buju Banton and Burro Banton were the same person. 
laugh.gif

Come at me bro.

I've been thinking Buju Banton and Burro Banton were the same person. 
laugh.gif

Come at me bro.

Back
Top Bottom