Bulls get Salmons and Miller for Gooden and Nocioni

NBA.com

[h1]Aldridge: Bulls to land Salmons, Miller for Nocioni, Gooden[/h1]
By David Aldridge, TNT analyst
Posted Feb 18 2009 4:33PM

The Sacramento Kings are the latest NBA team to engage in cost-cutting moves that will pare money from the team's books next season.

advertisement_160.gif

The Kings agreed on Wednesday to a trade that sends forward John Salmons and center Brad Miller to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for forwards Drew Gooden and Andres Nocioni, according to league sources. The deal will reduce Sacramento's obligations next season, saving the Kings millions on the salary cap and keeping them well under any potential luxury tax payments. Gooden, making $7.15 million this season, will likely come off the team's cap after this year, and now, the team is free of the $5.4 million due to Salmons in 2009 and the $12 million due to Miller in '09.

This will be Miller's second go-round in Chicago; he played two-plus seasons in Chicago after being traded from Charlotte in 2000 before being dealt to Indiana in a trade that also sent Ron Artest to the Pacers in exchange for Jalen Rose.

Sacramento will absorb the remaining four years and $28.4 million on Nocioni's contract, but Nocioni's contract actually goes down after next season, when he's scheduled to make $7.5 million, to $6.8 million in 2010 and $6.6 million in 2011 before going back up to $7.5 million in the final season -- a season that will be the Kings' option to pick up.

The Kings have gotten good financial news all week. They traded a future second-round pick to Boston for veteran Sam Cassell on Monday in a deal that will net Sacramento approximately $500,000. And yesterday, the Kings learned that the league will grant them financial relief on the remaining two seasons on the contract of forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim, who has retired after years of knee problems. Because he hasn't played this season, the league will allow insurance to pay 80 percent of his remaining salary. So while he'll stay on the team's books, its out-of-pocket payments will be reduced significantly.

With second-year center Spencer Hawes and rookie forward Jason Thompson playing big minutes for Sacramento, Miller was a luxury. And Salmons' good play this season made him a candidate to be moved, with Dallas in hot pursuit for several weeks. The Mavericks had hoped to entice Sacramento with the contract of guard Jerry Stackhouse, who is guaranteed only $2 million of his $7.2 million salary next season (Stackhouse would get the full amount if his team wins the NBA title, unlikely in the extreme if he had been sent to the Kings).

Miller's presence could conceivably clear the way for Chicago to move one of its young pivotmen, either Tyrus Thomas or Joakim Noah, in another deal. Thomas was part of a package the Bulls were trying to move to Phoenix for forward Amar'e Stoudemire, but the Suns have indicated in recent days that they're more likely to keep Stoudemire now that they've replaced former coach Terry Porter with assistant Alvin Gentry.

The Bulls have also been looking to cut costs for next season, and have been shopping Nocioni hard for months. Chicago is still looking for a suitor for Larry Hughes, who has essentially been deactivated from the team in the last month by coach Vinny Del Negro while management seeks a deal for him. Sources indicate Hughes could still potentially be sent to Washington in exchange for guard Mike James and center Etan Thomas if the Bulls don't make any other big deals.

ESPN.com first reported the discussions between the Kings and Bulls.

Damn. I kinda liked Nocioni. He was decent off the bench. Hopefully Miller still has some gas lef tin his tank to give the Bulls some inside help, especiallyif Thomas or Deng is traded as well.
ohwell.gif

Gooden should be called a journey-man player...dude's played everywhere
laugh.gif

dig through all those pages?
laugh.gif
its called last page son. i know that might be difficult for the internet challenged corkys out there.

laugh.gif
at the clown making a salmons/nocioni trade thread.

like i said before, good deal for the bulls. too many guards though. need to cut it down a bit. i expect a bigger deal coming up.

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

No.

I'm sure there's people like me who don't wanna dig through alllll those pages.

Mini-mods...
laugh.gif

Actually, every trade/rumor is posted on the 1st and last (current) page by me and NTers who use that thread.

People weren't complaining in the Chandler to OKC thread...
eyes.gif

I like the trade for Chicago. Tyrus can continue to beast. Miller > Noah. Salmons can do a lot...especially score.

Originally Posted by heat23

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

No.

I'm sure there's people like me who don't wanna dig through alllll those pages.

Mini-mods...
laugh.gif

Actually, every trade/rumor is posted on the 1st and last (current) page by me and NTers who use that thread.

No doubt.

Good work bro.

Originally Posted by Joe McKnight Is A Pimp

dig through all those pages?
laugh.gif
its called last page son. i know that might be difficult for the internet challenged corkys out there.

laugh.gif
at the clown making a salmons/nocioni trade thread.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Corkys
laugh.gif

I would have loved to get rid of Ben Gordon in this deal! Id rather have salmons at the 2 gaurd than BG! @@#! ben gordon please get him out of this city.

I've been saying it all year that Noc had to leave... he's developed a bad reputation with his hard fouls and crying to the refs after every play. Ilike Noc, dude has tons of heart but he's turning into a mini-Sheed.

As a season ticket holder I'm not floored by this trade but it does look like a good move for us. Salmons is better than most think and has been under mostradars because he was with the Kings, I'm thinking he may not get to play a game for us though.... I guess there is still more to come from the Bullsbefore tomorrow afternoon???

^i expect one of your guards to be gone. maybe hughes, BG, but im not sure, since im not familiar with your rooster.

BangDak wrote:
^i expect one of your guards to be gone. maybe hughes, BG, but im not sure, since im not familiar with your rooster.
Please GOD!!! I wont ask for anything else, I PROMISE!

Back
Top Bottom