Buying a car for the summer?

Has anyone here ever purchased a car just for the purpose of using during the summer (or any other temporary period of time) and then sold it back?

I recently sold my '02 TL
eyes.gif
and now I'm feeling the need forsomething to drive during the summer (june,july,august) but I know I'll have no use for it come september.

So how was your experience? Did you find re-selling the car difficult? Is there some type of rental plan I could use instead? Think it makes more sense to buya total hooptee or should I got for something nice since I'm bound to resell it. Any feedback is appreciated.

how come only during the summer? will you be visiting from college or something?

if you buy a car, just keep it till next vacay time.

I don't want to pay insurance and don't have a place for it to just sit.

Basically I have college starting again in September and I'll have NO time at all to drive anywhere.

Originally Posted by OGfiend

Basically I have college starting again in September and I'll have NO time at all to drive anywhere.

Oh OK. Well do you have any rental places around?

zip car if its in your area-

also enterprise and all of them have long term "rentals" or leasing- couple $100 a month depending on the car

just figure out what will cost your less...you prob gonna take a L buying a car, paying tax and reg and insurance then trying to sell it a couple monthslater...esp in this market-

Originally Posted by OGfiend

sign in
close https://www.zipcar.com/register/user-login method=post> Sign In to Zip Car Username Password
remember me?
forgot your password?GO

Find cars near youNew York/New Jersey Search
close
[h3]where can I drive?[/h3]
[h2]no matches[/h2]Sorry, we couldn't find any zipcars near you. Please select a link below.

Type in a location above, or select from the list below.

(ex. Cambridge or 02139 or 10 State St, Boston MA)

[h2]zipcar cities[/h2]
Zipcars live in 50+ cities across North America and the UK. See all Zipcar cities.

[h2]newest zipcar universities[/h2]
Zipcars live on 100+ campuses across North America. Find your university.

[h1]Is Zipcar for Me?[/h1] [h2]Who exactly is the car-sharing type?[/h2]
The beauty of the Zipcar community is that we're all different shapes, sizes, and colors. But if you're unsure if Zipcar is for you, we've put together some scenarios.

[h5]I take public transit, but need a car sometimes.[/h5]
Public transportation (and even cabs) can't always get you where you need to go. With 180 miles included with every reservation, you can find out what's at the end of the line. See what's included

[h5]I want to save money.[/h5]
Zipcar members report an average monthly savings of more than $500 compared to car ownership. Whether you're a car owner or a taxi taker, there are savings to go around. Find out how much you could save

[h5]I don't want the hassle of owning a car.[/h5]
Maybe you're looking to shed a car, or maybe you're looking for a way to never have to own at all. Either way, Zipcars practically take care of themselves: they have parking spaces, plus cleaning and maintenance crews.

[h5]I want to do my part to take care of our planet.[/h5]
Zipcars are good for the planet and the wallet. Each Zipcar takes 15-20 personally owned vehicles off the road. See why Zipcar is a sustainable transportation solution

[h5]Once in a while I need a second car.[/h5]
Did your spouse or roommate take your car for the day? Hello, Zipcar. Thinking of adding another car to the family? First check out how much you could save by using Zipcar instead. Learn more

[h5]I need a big car for a big job.[/h5]
Reserving Zipcars online (in seconds) beats the heck out of renting a moving truck, or bothering your brother-in-law for his pick up - reserve your own. Find cars (and trucks!)

[h5]I want a cute car to match my new shoes.[/h5]
There's a Zipcar for every moment (and outfit). Go ahead and try them all.

[h5]I want to impress my boss.[/h5]
We have a couple of solutions: take them out in a swanky BMW, or save your company hundreds and hassles by joining Zipcar for Business. We see a promotion in your future. Learn about Zipcar for Business

We try not to typecast anyone. So even if you don't see yourself here, Zipcar might still be for you. Convenience and savings seem to work for almost everybody. Otherwise, tell a friend

Good looks on the zipcar info. That's something to consider.

Anyone have thoughs on the buying option?

Lease a rental from hertz, budget, Avis, Enterprise, Thrift,Alamo or similar location. Best way to go depending how much you want to spend. For 3 months thoughand depending on the taxes you're looking at a minimum of $2800.

Hmmm. So factoring in insurance + DMV fees if was to buy one, it would still be less than 2,800. Question is really how much would I lose on the resale to seeif it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom