buying a car thats been in an accident vol: bad idea?

so im in the process of buying a car. i was planning on getting a used 05-07 acura tl. as i was searching for the best price for one i come across this spotaround the way that buys cars that have been in accidents, repairs them, then sells them for thousands below bluebook. i see it as a too good to be true typeof thing.

the titles are probably salvaged, what's the deal/problems with salvaged titles?

its a 2007 type-s with 10k miles for $18k. if i were to get this model with these many miles from a dealer it would be in the 30k range. as long as there isntany frame damage im good right? plus it should still have the factory warranty

this is what the car looked like before
blacktl2.jpg

blacktl1.jpg

this is after
DSC03602.JPG

DSC03599.JPG

thoughts?

Originally Posted by Hen Lin 32

eh.. I would do it. there's always the shock damage that you cant see or fix.
thats what im kinda worried about is the suspension failing while im driving on the freeway. or just something with the front end being damaged.

the titles are probably salvaged, what's the deal/problems with salvaged titles?
Cars are designated salvaged by the insurance companies when the cost the repair them cost more than 75% of the value of the car. The car willnever have any resale value in the case you decided to sell it. I would never touch a salvaged high end luxury car. Its ok if you spent a couple of G's ona salvaged beater just to drive around, but I wouldn't recommend purchasing this car, repairs will be out of pocket and expensive.

Originally Posted by yAyToNyO

Cars are designated salvaged by the insurance companies when the cost the repair them cost more than 75% of the value of the car. The car will never have any resale value in the case you decided to sell it. I would never touch a salvaged high end luxury car. Its ok if you spent a couple of G's on a salvaged beater just to drive around, but I wouldn't recommend purchasing this car, repairs will be out of pocket and expensive.

thats what i figured, thanks

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Cars are just never the same after accidents, and saving money is never more important than safety.

Back in the day I had a 1996 Maxima that was bullet-proof in terms of reliability. It was in a similar accident as this TL in 2000, with the front end beingsmashed, and it had multiple issues afterwards.

go for it

i need to find something like this in the states

3673307-1001.jpg

all it needs is a lil TLC an a new home.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by doosta45

thats what im kinda worried about is the suspension failing while im driving on the freeway. or just something with the front end being damaged.

the whole drive terrain could be shot.

like yaytonyo said, cars like that are better off scrapped for parts

I wouldn't even worry about the terrain you'll be driving on yet, i'd worry about the drive train. But shoot, as long as everything was properlyrepaired, go for it. Inspect and test the hell out of it though. As with everything it depends, it might be the worst decision you've ever made, or thebest.

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

I wouldn't even worry about the terrain you'll be driving on yet, i'd worry about the drive train. But shoot, as long as everything was properly repaired, go for it. Inspect and test the hell out of it though. As with everything it depends, it might be the worst decision you've ever made, or the best.

well damn.............

might as well tell him to go flip a coin
laugh.gif

doosta45 wrote:

Hen Lin 32 wrote:

I wouldn't even worry about the terrain you'll be driving on yet, i'd worry about the drive train. But shoot, as long as everything was properly repaired, go for it. Inspect and test the hell out of it though. As with everything it depends, it might be the worst decision you've ever made, or the best.

thats the thing, on the site they say they test drive the cars for over 1k miles but they only offer a 60 day warranty
indifferent.gif
i may pass and cop onefrom an acura dealership
frown.gif

Originally Posted by lurkin2long

go for it

i need to find something like this in the states

S5

all it needs is a lil TLC an a new home.
pimp.gif
is an exception.

lol, Dr. Spaceman... thats what i meant to say/type
embarassed.gif

Doosta45... know a good mechanic with a fully function garage? go for it.
i know quite a few mechanics, hell i know one that works for an acura dealership and another that works for toyota and others that work forindependent shops

Originally Posted by lurkin2long

well damn.............

might as well tell him to go flip a coin
laugh.gif

Pretty much. We can't really answer this for him.

laugh.gif
and yeah i know Hen.

If you want to make the biggest mistake in your lifetime then go for it.
I recently purchased a 2006 magnum from the auction for about $8000 after taxes.
Come to find out, this car use to be a rental and its also been in 2 accidents.
Between 30-50 mph the front end continues to harlem shake until I come to a red light.
There's some many things wrong with my car I get pissed just thinking about it.
You might be better off just putting that $18,000 toward a new car or a certified used vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom