Buying from a Used Car Dealer...Pointers NT?

Hey NT
So I have a '93 300E Mercedes, has 270k miles. Runs great, but I'm looking to pick up another car to drive on weekends. Found one I like, but it's a little north of NYC, and I'm in Philly.

I was thinking of going up next week and looking it over. I kinda wanted to take the train up & then drive the car back.

My question is: what is the process going to be like? It's not a BMW/Mercedes dealer, but they have a lot of those cars. I got my last car from a guy near where I live & we just went to AAA and transferred the title.

Price isn't a problem, I'd buy the car at the price they've listed. My concern is stuff I can't see/understand- like engine, suspension. I have a great mechanic & I'd love for him to take a look at it before things are finalized, but he's over 150+ miles from this place. Can I get like a 10 day warranty or something along those lines?

Appreciate all the help.

carfox.JPG

Find a forum relating to the car youre contemplating. Checkout the list of common issues. Every car has things that will need to be addressed post purchase.

Originally Posted by Phen0m

Find a forum relating to the car youre contemplating. Checkout the list of common issues. Every car has things that will need to be addressed post purchase.

This..wish I did this before I purchased my Accord. Also most spots tend to mark cars up 2k more than it's worth, so check out kbb and also your state dmv website to find out the avg going rate for the car .. I'm talking about the price they use for calculating taxes. The dealership is going to want the tax, title and registration money right then and there so make sure you have enough to cover it, and try CL to see the rates the car you're going to get is average if you already haven't. Out here in TX I've been to used dealerships that have asked for almost twice the car's value when financing

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

Originally Posted by Phen0m

This..wish I did this before I purchased my Accord. Also most spots tend to mark cars up 2k more than it's worth, so check out kbb and also your state dmv website to find out the avg going rate for the car .. I'm talking about the price they use for calculating taxes. The dealership is going to want the tax, title and registration money right then and there so make sure you have enough to cover it, and try CL to see the rates the car you're going to get is average if you already haven't. Out here in TX I've been to used dealerships that have asked for almost twice the car's value when financing

These, Make sure you test drive it obviously check engine lights and things of that sort, quick break check, as for suspension, enlightenment take your hands off the wheel (sounds ******ed but really one of the most effective ways to check) and shocks/suspension Car should only bounce one time then return to regular position. I'm going through it now. Don't let them try and big league you, play hardball back, bring cash if possible and you can get the car for wholesale price... The almighty dollar is the key in these deals, usually can talk them out of dealers fees and stuff too. Give them the "economy" talk.
Also don't be afraid to demand that they have newer tires and brakes shaved (if needed) and the car detailed before you get it
smokin.gif
you have the money, you ultimately have the power.

Take it to a local mechanic near the dealership. Call around and get quotes first and make an appointment with the cheapest one. Make sure the dealer is okay with it. If they aren't then they probably are hiding something. Car fax also doesnt show everything. It won't show any accidents if they didn't go through the insurance. It's the safest bet because you don't want to buy a lemon. A couple weeks ago I went to check out a miata and everything looked great and the test drive seemed okay but after I took it to a mechanic he showed me that the transmission was leaking and it had some bondo repairs that car fax didn't show and it wasn't worth the buy. Spending $100 is better than buying a messed up car for a couple grand and having it break down.

BOSS TYCOON 408 wrote:
Take it to a local mechanic near the dealership. Call around and get quotes first and make an appointment with the cheapest one. Make sure the dealer is okay with it. If they aren't then they probably are hiding something. Car fax also doesnt show everything. It won't show any accidents if they didn't go through the insurance. It's the safest bet because you don't want to buy a lemon. A couple weeks ago I went to check out a miata and everything looked great and the test drive seemed okay but after I took it to a mechanic he showed me that the transmission was leaking and it had some bondo repairs that car fax didn't show and it wasn't worth the buy. Spending $100 is better than buying a messed up car for a couple grand and having it break down.
^ This.

If you are traveling that far you should have other cars you are looking at so that the trip isn't wasted if you find out an issue with your favorite one.

Also note the Used Car prices are through the roof, with models (especially for fuel efficient models) actually appreciating vs. their prior used car prices.

Oh yeah, make sure you don't get robbed, toting all that money with you.

Link or pics to the car you're looking at? I'm kinda interested since your willing to go that far to buy a car.

Back
Top Bottom