Calhoun gets into heated spat over salary

By PAT EATON-ROBB, Associated Press Writer 9 hours, 16 minutes ago

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP)-Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun got into a heated exchange at a postgame news conference Saturday with a freelance journalist andpolitical activist who questioned why the coach of a public university was making $1.6 million in tough economic times.

"Not a dime back," Calhoun joked as Ken Krayeske asked about Calhoun's salary and the state's budget deficit, which is estimated at $944million for the current fiscal year and up to $8 billion over the next two years.

When Krayeske continued the line of questioning, Calhoun got angry.

"My best advice to you is, shut up," said Calhoun, who offered to talk to Krayeske after the news conference that followed the top-rankedHuskies' 64-50 victory over South Florida.

"If these guys covered this stuff, I wouldn't have to do it," said Krayeske, who had been granted a photo pass to attend the newsconference.

Now visibly angry, Calhoun responded.

"Quite frankly, we bring in $12 million to the university, nothing to do with state funds," Calhoun shouted back. "We make $12 million a yearfor this university. Get some facts and come back and see me. … Don't throw out salaries and other things.

"Get some facts and come back and see me. We turn over $12 million to the University of Connecticut, which is state-run. Next question."

Krayeske, of Hartford, is a political activist and self-described freelance journalist who has landed in the headlines after other high-profile incidents inthe past.

They included his January 2007 arrest at Gov. M. Jodi Rell's inaugural parade, where Hartford police charged Krayeske with breach of peace andinterfering with an officer.

The charges were later dismissed.

Calhoun, who has two national championships, is set to make $1.6 million in 2009-10, the final year of his contract. Women's basketball coach GenoAuriemma, who has brought five national championships to Storrs, recently signed a 5-year, $8 million deal that begins July 1.

Connecticut football coach Randy Edsall signed a 5-year deal a year ago that pays him an average of $1.5 million annually.

The three coaches are among the state's highest paid employees.

Is there any video of this? I
laugh.gif
at this other outburst he did at a press conference:

We got Caron Butler and Emeka Okafor-THEY'RE NOT BAD.

Saw the highlight on ESPN....

"The advice I got for you"...
"Yeah?"
"Shutup"
"Thanks"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by donfratrachelli

yea that reporter was a total douche

He was , but Calhoun is a pretty arrogant person and most of the local reporters are actually scared of him

Originally Posted by JoeClear

He was , but Calhoun is a pretty arrogant person and most of the local reporters are actually scared of him

Yea but hes 100% right, if the team nets 12 million for the school you have to just pay Jim that salary. Besides hes still underpaid.

Originally Posted by JoeClear

Well the reporter did a fine job of out-douching Calhoun. The reporter had no intention of discussing the game or anything related to athletics.His questions were out of line and but i'd expect nothing less from some fringe leftist freelance reporter.

I was there, that was so funny.
roll.gif
Calhoun thought he was joking at firstand then put him in his place.

I hate it when people complain about how much coaches get paid or over facilities, athletics bring in ridiculous money to Universities.

Originally Posted by jrp44

Saw the highlight on ESPN....

"The advice I got for you"...
"Yeah?"
"Shutup"
"Thanks"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

That guy came in with NO facts. Please.

Originally Posted by vctry20

I hate it when people complain about how much coaches get paid or over facilities, athletics bring in ridiculous money to Universities.

I mean, I love college sports but the idea that Academic institutions put sports over academia is pretty questionable. You go to college to be a scholar not anathlete, that's why no other country had college sports. But at this point that is just how it is but it could still be regulated better than it is.That's why half of the dudes who are in the league end up broke because they are uneducated dudes who don't know how to invest and spend money.

i'm a journalism major and that line of questioning is totally in the wrong. that is not the forum to discuss a coach's salary. a postgame conferenceis to discuss and get the players/coaches' take on the game. you want to talk about other things, get a private interview.

what an idiot.

Who the hell is he to question Calhoun's salary. I hate the fact that athletes and coaches take the fall for making a lot of money, when they're notthe ones making the most money. The universities and owners are the ones that get the majority of the money.

I agree but I hate it in general whether it be athletics, celebrities, etc. If somebody will pay you that why not get that money how many ofthese cats that are complaining wouldn't take that same money if given the chance. Thats why so many people are stuck in life worrying about otherpeople's money instead of trying to improve their own situation.

I mean, I love college sports but the idea that Academic institutions put sports over academia is pretty questionable. You go to college to be a scholar not an athlete, that's why no other country had college sports. But at this point that is just how it is but it could still be regulated better than it is. That's why half of the dudes who are in the league end up broke because they are uneducated dudes who don't know how to invest and spend money.
Bold = if you playing intramural. Now I don't know you but I'm going to assume your not stupid though. What big time recruits goto amajor program to be a scholar first over an athlete. Let's be real thats a sounds good answer cause we all know college is about trying to improveyourself for the future and if that is in athletics (provided your good enough and don't get hurt) thats your real major. Now of course their are catsthat this doesn't apply to but if your good enough to make millions at 21,22 who really is going to turn that down for being a scholar? If they end upbroke thats on them (and I agree they should have better management) but I'm pretty sure that a problem alot of us would like to deal with.

The universities and owners are the ones that get the majority of the money.
Your right but growing up most of us never thought we could run a university or own a team but most of us thought we could play or maybe coach. Thats why people get upset cause they see people getting paid alot for things they think are easy.

Why shouldn't people question it? Regardless of what the basketball teams brings in, UCONN is a STATE school.

I heard Calhoun has some skeletons in his closet dealing with Irish Mob in Boston. He also drives around the school in a Bentley GT. Dude's a G.

Originally Posted by Jello B Afro

Why shouldn't people question it? Regardless of what the basketball teams brings in, UCONN is a STATE school.
And without the basketball team they would be in a bigger mess then are already in.
eyes.gif

^^^Agreed. Why should Calhoun have to give any of his salary back? Is the state's defecit his fault? Not at all. He runs (as well as Auriemma) a good,successful program that generates a ton of money for the school. Every state that is in a huge defecit it is their own fault for overspending. That reportershould go after the CEO's of banks and places like GM and AIG who have run their companies into the ground and continue to take home millions and millionsper year even when their operations are not successful. Those are the scum of the earth who do not deserve a dime, or a job for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom