California Supreme Court UPHOLDS gay marriage ban.... but existing same-sex marriages to stand

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

I don't get the "do what you do in your own privacy" comment. What are gay people doing in public that's so horrible?
nerd.gif
Dey're kissin' n touchin' is curruptin' my lil chillren's and I don't like it and its gross!

/Hick rant.

It goes against the Bible and everything that God and America stand for! They should be thrown from the highe....they shouldn't be allowed to be married!

/Jesus freak rant.
laugh.gif
the sad part is that's exactly the reasons thosepeople give...
laugh.gif

hte a big protest going on. i work a few blocks from city hall and people have blocked off a bunch of streets.

$@*# ALL YOU RELIGIOUS ZEALOTS AND HOMOPHOBES

smh.gif

it's a damn shame that a lot of people who voted for "change" voted for Prop 8 because of idealogy.

$@*# religion too.

Good! EDIT: I don't believe in the whole "I was born gay" debate, smh, being gay is a choice, that YOU choose, period.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

well the law can still be repealed... this isn't over. it's just gonna sit for a year or two longer.
Yup

Expect a ballot initiative by next year to repeal this ban. More CA resources and funds to go down the drain.

Personally I voted NO on Prop 8 because I used to believe in giving them what they want. Gays are not going anywhere. They are here to stay so something needsto be done so why prolong it? However after the election I was put off at how Gay rights activist reacted by protesting violently, showing civil disobedience,showing their ignorance and hate against religious institutions, and ruining businesses that supported 8.

The lack of civility shown by these Gay rights activist was so sickening that now I am on the opposite side of the spectrum and against Gay Marriages so Iapplaud this decision.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

well the law can still be repealed... this isn't over. it's just gonna sit for a year or two longer.
Yup

Expect a ballot initiative by next year to repeal this ban. More CA resources and funds to go down the drain.

Personally I voted NO on Prop 8 because I used to believe in giving them what they want. Gays are not going anywhere. They are here to stay so something needs to be done so why prolong it? However after the election I was put off at how Gay rights activist reacted by protesting violently, showing civil disobedience, showing their ignorance and hate against religious institutions, and ruining businesses that supported 8.

The lack of civility shown by these Gay rights activist was so sickening that now I am on the opposite side of the spectrum and against Gay Marriages so I applaud this decision.
wow... you are an idiot

Yup

Personally I voted NO on Prop 8 because I used to believe in giving them what they want. Gays are not going anywhere. They are here to stay so something needs to be done so why prolong it? However after the election I was put off at how Gay rights activist reacted by protesting violently, showing civil disobedience, showing their ignorance and hate against religious institutions, and ruining businesses that supported 8.

The lack of civility shown by these Gay rights activist was so sickening that now I am on the opposite side of the spectrum and against Gay Marriages so I applaud this decision.
So were they just supposed to give up? When you want something bad enough you go out and do anything in your power (peacefully) that you can toget it done. Civil disobedience is a cornerstone of a strong democracy and if you don't think so then you must want to live in China. Also, you also ignorethe ignorance and hate spread by these business and religious institutions before the vote.

There is zero scientific evidence that homosexuality is genetic.

If it were, there would be a gene and/or additional genetic determinants present.

There is none.

Furthermore, if homosexuality was genetic, it would be passed down. But since gay people cannot reproduce, and therefore the "gay gene" cannot bepassed on, wouldn't there be very little, if any, gay people left?

It's a choice but has been argued as genetic in efforts to legally legitimize it (ex. the gay marriage issue).

Originally Posted by Burns1923

If it were, there would be a gene and/or additional genetic determinants present.

There is none.

Furthermore, if homosexuality was genetic, it would be passed down. But since gay people cannot reproduce, and therefore the "gay gene" cannot be passed on, wouldn't there be very little, if any, gay people left?

It's a choice but has been argued as genetic in efforts to legally legitimize it (ex. the gay marriage issue).

just be quiet...

not to mention gay people can reproduce... since im sure alot of gay people just repress those feelings & live heterosexual lifestyles & havechildren... which would be "passing the gay gene"...

not saying there is one, just pointing out the failure of your logic

i don't even see why this is an issue. let the homosexuals marry already. they aren't doing anything to anybody and why should we even care??

it shouldn't even have to be something a person has to vote on. it should already be allowed IMO.

and i'm a heterosexual catholic, if that matters. and the eff religion comments are offensive. its not about religion IMO but about ignorance and fear.

Originally Posted by ericberry14

There is none.

Furthermore, if homosexuality was genetic, it would be passed down. But since gay people cannot reproduce, and therefore the "gay gene" cannot be passed on, wouldn't there be very little, if any, gay people left?

just be quiet...

not to mention gay people can reproduce... since im sure alot of gay people just repress those feelings & live heterosexual lifestyles & have children... which would be "passing the gay gene"...

not saying there is one, just pointing out the failure of your logic

Huh?

I pointed out that gays don't reproduce because they do not engage in activity that results in a pregnancy. Technically, they retain the ability toreproduce but, of course, only with the opposite sex.

I stated scientific facts that disprove homosexuality as genetic.

Your rebuttal is to say that you're "sure alot of gay people just repress those feelings & live heterosexual lifestyles & have children...which would be "passing the gay gene"... "? Really? That's your argument?

So most gay people are repressed individuals living straight and producing families, and that's how the "gay gene" is "passed"?

Did you not just read that there is no gay gene? It doesn't exist and therefore cannot be passed on.

The only failure in your case is that you posted a knee-jerk reaction of a comment without processing any facts on the subject.

"Just be quiet"?

Typical intellectually-ignorant response.

Marriage is for the Church, Civil Unions should be given by the government.
QFT. When the custom of marriage was created, there was no governing body. Then the Church became that governing body. In ancient times, thestate would pass on any marital issues over to the church. Marriage began as a religious institution and thus should stay one. I'm all for Civil Unionsfor whoever the heck wants them, but marriage is for a man and a woman. YES THIS IS ABOUT SEMANTICS.

Yup

So were they just supposed to give up? When you want something bad enough you go out and do anything in your power (peacefully) that you can to get it done. Civil disobedience is a cornerstone of a strong democracy and if you don't think so then you must want to live in China. Also, you also ignore the ignorance and hate spread by these business and religious institutions before the vote.
Off course not but I expect them to take it with a grain of salt and show some maturity. Nothing comes easy in life. One day, gays will be ableto marry here in California, just wait your damn turn. However when I read these instances of hate coming from these Gay Rights Activists just because thingsdidn't go their way well lets just say voters will be turned off and turn to the opposite side.
Rev. Jim Garlow says signs urging a "Yes" vote on Proposition 8 are being stolen, churches have been pelted with eggs, cars have been parked outside the homes of supporters bearing the message "Bigots live here," and some supporters have been physically assaulted. Garlow says a pastor even had the windows of his car shot out because he was displaying a "Yes on 8" sticker. "One man in Modesto was beaten as he was handing out 'Yes on 8' signs, and had stitches in his eye," he adds.
Someone opposing California's Proposition 8, White said, had just issued a pair of email death threats. One was directed at Autry, the other at Franklin, both of whom had spoken on Sunday at city hall in support of Proposition 8, which would restore traditional marriage as the only kind recognized in the state.
"Yes on 8" organizers say similar vandalism has occurred all over the state. In Huntington Beach, vandals scrawled the word "biggot [sic]" on a sign supporting the measure. In Mission Viejo and the City of Orange,Proposition 8 foes left dog excrement on supporters' doorma
According to eyewitness reports published on the Internet, racial epithets have been used against African Americans at protests in California
gay rights activists have begun publishing lists online exposing individuals and organizations that have donated money in support of Prop. 8. On AntiGayBlacklist.com, individuals who gave money toward Prop. 8 are publicized, and readers are urged not to patronize their businesses or services.

So let me get this right. Gay Rights Activist wants this RIGHT to marry but voters whom are exercising their RIGHT in the political process are to be harassedand condemned because they do not vote a certain way? Unbelievable.
smh.gif

nothing you said is of any relevance to me...

you wasted precious bits of time that you will never get back typing it...

Facts aren't relevant to you?

Ok, whatever you believe. Ignorance really must be bliss for some.

And stating the truth is never a waste of time.

Yup

wow... you are an idiot
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Thank you for posting this. You provided me with the PERFECT EXAMPLE of why I NO longer support Gay Marriage.

Passing a bill to limit the right to marry is +$#@@$% ludicrous. There's a big difference between a bill legalizing gay marriage and one specificallydesigned to take away another person's rights. Shameful that the bill passed, and shameful that the Supreme Court upheld it.

nothing you said is of any relevance to me...

you wasted precious bits of time that you will never get back typing it...

Translation:

Even though I feel passionately about this issue, I cannot adequately articulate and present a contrary argument.

I am happy that California's Supreme Court upheld the will of the people,

HOWEVER,

the people themselves must change.

Marriage is honest, pure and right. No person should be barred from entering such a union.

It's pretty telling that some of you look at the reaction of voters (in either direction), propaganda (as furnished by religious institutions, proponentsin their favor), and uproar (as subjectively accepted to provide a view 'rationally') to decide the way you lean aside from the principle issue athand.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

it shouldn't be up to the people's vote to establish something that should be defined as equal (human) rights.
exactly..

For it to be defined, somebody's gotta do the defining, so it was defined. By the people. In a democratic vote.

Case closed.

Back
Top Bottom