California Supreme Court UPHOLDS gay marriage ban.... but existing same-sex marriages to stand

siren.gif

California Supreme Court upholds gay marriage ban...
...but existing same-sex marriages to stand...

6-1: CA Supreme Court upholds gay marriage ban...
...but existing same-sex marriages to stand

Schwarzeneggersays he'll carry out ruling...
Ralliesplanned...

I see what SunDoobie is saying, and only to that extent, I'd have to agree. There could be dire effects to poll numbers and people voting on importantmatters if the CA Supreme Court took this and over-turned it, regardless of your believe on the underlying matter.

Although, it shouldn't be up to the people's vote to establish something that should be defined as equal (human) rights.

At least they won't annul those marriages that were done between the passing of gay marriage and the subsequent Prop 8.

Mormons all over showing their joy, I'm sure.

not really fair at all. it's blatantly unconstitutional. but it's a legislation issue, and marriage isn't something that the government and courts(local or federal) want to touch. it's never gonna make it to the U.S. Supreme Court either, so this is unfortunate.

i disagree with the decision though, very very strongly.

well the law can still be repealed... this isn't over. it's just gonna sit for a year or two longer.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

This is only FAIR considering this was voted by the people of California.
This.

And marriage isn't a human "right." It isn't a federally or legally created institution.

People vote, largely, on what they believe is in the best overall interest of themselves.

Californians (Californians!) voted against Prop 8. The will of the electorate must stand.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

This.

And marriage isn't a human "right."

People vote, largely, on what they believe is in the best overall interest of themselves.

Californians (Californians!) voted against Prop 8. The will of the electorate must stand.
yes but the rights of the majority do not override the rights of the minority...

Ah, tyranny of the majority upheld, how democratic.

This never should have been an issue to be decided by the people of the state. It is a question of the rights of the citizens of California, and that is to bedecided by the courts.

Originally Posted by swizzc

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
WHOOOOOOTTTTTTT WHOOOOTTTTT!!!!

Gays dont deserve to be married under the constitution.

Just as African Americans did not deserve to be free under the Constitution?

If you want to get technical about it, no one deserves to be married under the constitution, every citizen of the United States should be granted a license ofcivil union, not marriage. Marriage is for the Church, Civil Unions should be given by the government.

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

Ah, tyranny of the majority upheld, how democratic.

This never should have been an issue to be decided by the people of the state. It is a question of the rights of the citizens of California, and that is to be decided by the courts.

Originally Posted by swizzc

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
WHOOOOOOTTTTTTT WHOOOOTTTTT!!!!

Gays dont deserve to be married under the constitution.

Just as African Americans did not deserve to be free under the Constitution?

If you want to get technical about it, no one deserves to be married under the constitution, every citizen of the United States should be granted a license of civil union, not marriage. Marriage is for the Church, Civil Unions should be given by the government.

exactly.

Originally Posted by ericberry14

Originally Posted by Burns1923

This.

And marriage isn't a human "right."

yes but the rights of the majority do not override the rights of the minority...

In the sense that a free vote amongst the people of a republic stands, it does override the "minority" will.

Democratic elections in a republic (such as the United States) necessarily decide issue and law. The Founders were aware of how this dynamic works andunderstood that it is the only fair and just means by which citizens can decide matters.

Gay is a choice, not a birth defect, not a right. It is NOT the new black and I do NOT agree with it. That said, I don't hate or discriminate against gays,they do there thing that's fine with me. But forcing us to accept there "culture" is completely unjust and selfish. Do what you do in your ownprivacy.

I'm disappointed, but this isn't the end of it. It'll come up again.

This thread is about to go 50 pages, though.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Jetpacunlimited

Gay is a choice, not a birth defect, not a right. It is NOT the new black and I do NOT agree with it. That said, I don't hate or discriminate against gays, they do there thing that's fine with me. But forcing us to accept there "culture" is completely unjust and selfish. Do what you do in your own privacy.

Ignorance is a choice, being a homosexual is not. Forcing them to stay in the shadows and denying them their rights is unjust and selfish.

Originally Posted by Jetpacunlimited

Gay is a choice, not a birth defect, not a right. It is NOT the new black and I do NOT agree with it. That said, I don't hate or discriminate against gays, they do there thing that's fine with me. But forcing us to accept there "culture" is completely unjust and selfish. Do what you do in your own privacy.
Simple and well-said.

pimp.gif

I don't get the "do what you do in your own privacy" comment. What are gay people doing in public that's so horrible?
nerd.gif

Jetpacunlimited wrote:

Right, because im sure people would LOVE to choose to be discriminated against, harassed, told they can't marry, and be ostracized by theirfamily over just going out and going after the opposite sex. I have two gay cousins, and after the $$*% their parents put them through when they came out,there is no WAY they chose that life style. They've even said as much to me.

Why don't people just stop worrying about what others do? I say if you want to like another man if you're a man, then fine. You do you...

Plus that means that's 1+ more female available for me
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

I don't get the "do what you do in your own privacy" comment. What are gay people doing in public that's so horrible?
nerd.gif
Dey're kissin' n touchin' is curruptin' my lil chillren's and I don't like it and its gross!

/Hick rant.

It goes against the Bible and everything that God and America stand for! They should be thrown from the highe....they shouldn't be allowed to be married!

/Jesus freak rant.

Back
Top Bottom