Calling all Communication Majors vol. sophomore, 3 years, ain't picked a career

i'm a second year and still haven't picked a major.
tired.gif
however, I'm leaning on choosing communication because it seems like a major that won't make me stay in college for longer than 4 years. I did some researching and even had a meeting with the major counselor and still clueless on what the best possible ($$$) path i could lead with a communication major. for all the communication major, what type of jobs did you get and what does your salary look like? what kind of advice do you have for me?

Why would you do that? If you need to stay in college for more than 4 years then do it. Don't pick comm because its considered the easy major. You might as well waste your money on something else if you're going to do that. I'm not knocking comm majors by saying that but come on duke, you should want to do what you want to major in or have a general interest in it. Additionally, with comm majors, if you're not interning, you're not getting hired in the field point blank. If you declare comm as your major, apply for internships the day you declare because you are behind.

Comm major? im a comm studies, i'd seriously look into grad school...

what both of them said...its basically just like a psychology major. Worthless and uselss. Only dumb chicks do those type of majors just to say they have a degree. Sorry if anyone is majoring in either psychology or comm. thats just how i feel

Classes may be easier and more interesting but if your goal is to get out of school in 4 years and find a good job in the field, that's not likely with just a bachelors degree in communications. You'll have to go to graduate school if you want to have the best chance at a career in the field, plus like mentioned, the internships are very important.

i was in the same spot... i went with sociology... people might say its not a real major, but that doesn't bother me, everybody who knows me knows i coulda done just about any major i wanted, but something about peoples interactions and just learning about society interested me, idk... good luck OP.

a comm degree is not useless. You will be able to find jobs where you deal with customers/suppliers and have interaction with a variety of people in your given industry.

The bottomline is, unless you are going to be a specific profession, doctor, lawyer, engineer etc etc, a degree is a degree to most hiring managers. Do you know how many Business Adm majors are working at cell phone kiosks at the mall?

Get a degree in a subject matter that you enjoy and can work hard in to get a good GPA and enjoy your college experience. At the end of the day, most people work for the man their entire life, sometimes even in jobs that have nothing to do with their degree anyway.

I got a degree in Mass Communications/Journalism in May 2009 and found a job at a daily newspaper in my area instantly. Only the pay doesn't equal the hours you work, the industry is failing and you'll hate your life.

I'm going back to school in August for nursing. Do NOT get a Masters degree in Communications. That would be a fatal option.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

what both of them said...its basically just like a psychology major. Worthless and uselss. Only dumb chicks do those type of majors just to say they have a degree. Sorry if anyone is majoring in either psychology or comm. thats just how i feel
frown.gif

i'm a comm broadcast major, but already have my foot in the door w CNN en español.. like everyone else said, it's all about the internship, man. most people intern @ a place that they can see themselves working @ but in this field, your internship could very well be your only bet. that is unless you know someone in the business... in that case, none of this applies to you.

I agree with manamazing55.

In a world where damn near everything and everybody is fake and fradulent, who's to say what's real and to whom??

Damn near everyone you see working on television, broadcast, have degrees in Communications.

How is that useless? Stop.

Once again, I don't know where people are getting this 'useless' thing from, I've been doing marketing and PR (international) for the past two years and I'm not even finished my degree
If you're talking undergrad than it shouldn't matter, but if you're picking a degree because of the time period than you should reconsider... pick something you really enjoy

Originally Posted by friscostylez

tired.gif
however, I'm leaning on choosing communication because it seems like a major that won't make me stay in college for longer than 4 years. I did some researching and even had a meeting with the major counselor and still clueless on what the best possible ($$$) path i could lead with a communication major. for all the communication major, what type of jobs did you get and what does your salary look like? what kind of advice do you have for me?
Go to a book store, and find out what you're interested in. My number one criteria for picking a career path would be if I enjoyed what I would be doing, not how much money I'd be making.

Originally Posted by manamazing55

a comm degree is not useless. You will be able to find jobs where you deal with customers/suppliers and have interaction with a variety of people in your given industry.

The bottomline is, unless you are going to be a specific profession, doctor, lawyer, engineer etc etc, a degree is a degree to most hiring managers. Do you know how many Business Adm majors are working at cell phone kiosks at the mall?

Get a degree in a subject matter that you enjoy and can work hard in to get a good GPA and enjoy your college experience. At the end of the day, most people work for the man their entire life, sometimes even in jobs that have nothing to do with their degree anyway.
Co-sign.

I was Radio, TV, Film major and Comm. Studies minor. I work in radio.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by friscostylez

tired.gif
Go to a book store, and find out what you're interested in. My number one criteria for picking a career path would be if I enjoyed what I would be doing, not how much money I'd be making.
Preach! I'm a Comm major and if it wasn't for me going back to my original career choice then I would be trying to intern at ESPN or something like that. its a good major, especially mass media studies because if you're interested in that and marketing it can help out a lot! but really make sure you  have a solid interest then chose a major from there.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

indifferent.gif

You sir, are a slacked jawed yokel

I picked marketing because the analysis of marketing is great and I love it.. I also know it like the back of my hand... I am a month from completing my Junior year... Looking around at the marketing field, I made a mistake..

My new thing for the moment is a college professor..... I really think I'd enjoy that job.... The marketing field is a wasteland

My major is inter-disciplinary studies, but Comm is one of my disciplines.

Lookin at tryna start a PR firm by next year.

The opportunities are endless with a Comm degree.

Don't let the fools on NT tell you otherwise.  You have 16-18 years olds trying to give their two cents when their idea of the Real World is what they see on MTV.

NT makes it sound like you should either have an Accounting, Econ, Business, Finance or become a Doctor/Lawyer in order to be successful. 
laugh.gif

There are so many things you can do in life, do what makes you happy.  Some people want to slave away in school for 7+ years to push a nice whip when they get older, that's their prerogative.  Props to those that want to do it for ethical reasons....you know Doctors and Lawyers.

Originally Posted by Essential1

I picked marketing because the analysis of marketing is great and I love it.. I also know it like the back of my hand... I am a month from completing my Junior year... Looking around at the marketing field, I made a mistake..

My new thing for the moment is a college professor..... I really think I'd enjoy that job.... The marketing field is a wasteland
Not true at all. If you knew marketing like the back of your hand, then you would know how broad marketing is, ranging from strategic management, advertising, writing, sales, retailing, print design and even internet digital marketing. Truth is, the newest thing is internet marketing/social media as a supplement to and already active traditional campaign.

I'll credit you with one thing though. Since marketing is so broad, many graduates have NO DIRECTION on where to go. College never taught me how to copywrite, how to sell, and how to run an effective digital marketing campaign. I knew the basics, just like you do, but never understood the key to marketing, like many other majors, is specialization. You have to find one particular facet of marketing that you enjoy and are good at, then become an expert at it. Maybe you're manager material, maybe you like the creative aspect. That, you have to find out on your own.

This video is for you, and everyone else questioning the power of marketing. I dare you to tell me marketing is a wasteland after watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/v/9EtbL9Nhlug&hl=en_US&fs=1&http://www.youtube.com/v/9EtbL9Nhlug&hl=en_US&fs=1& http://www.youtube.com/v/9EtbL9Nhlug&hl=en_US&fs=1&http://www.youtube.com/v/9EtbL9Nhlug&hl=en_US&fs=1&

edit: No hate though, essential. You still one of my fav NTers for consistently laying the truth down on those political threads.

pimp.gif

[h2]Calling all Communication Majors vol. sophomore, 3 years, ain't picked have'nt chosen a career. sheesh.[/h2]

Back
Top Bottom