Calling all Greeks (Frat/Soror) x Christians. vol: You've got some 'splaining to do...

7,501
3,740
Joined Dec 3, 2007
Please, this is not a God/Religion bashing thread. This thread is for Christians and other religious folk who happen to be involved in Greek Life...

So I'm currently watching this youtube video and it seems to propose that, there is a contradiction in being a Christian and being a member of Fraternityor Sorority.




If you watch this first part of the video, then you'll get the gist of it. But for those of you that didn't watch it, the video essentially draws lightto the fact that many of the greek organizations are rooted in their worship of pagan and/or Egyptian gods. Other installments in the series (also found onyoutube) discuss branding, late-night rituals, and even covers free-masonry.

The point is, these activities are not becoming of a christian or any religious person for that matter. So with that said, I just wanted to get the opinions ofthose Christians that are involved in Greek Life.

What are your thoughts--from pledging to SERVE the organization, to its basis in false/lesser gods...

AirAnt, MisterP...where y'all at...


...
 
14,944
5,573
Joined Oct 8, 2003
People dont join frats/sororities to worship greek or egyptian gods, and trust when I say no hardcore christian would join one.
 
7,501
3,740
Joined Dec 3, 2007
Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

People dont join frats/sororities to worship greek or egyptian gods, and trust when I say no hardcore christian would join one.
Well that's definitely part of the issue--people don't join to worship greek or egyptian gods but do they KNOW that, that is essentiallywhat they're doing...

Additionally, no hardcore christian might join but then what about the remaining "liberal" christians...

...
 
7,394
237
Joined Sep 11, 2008
I remember one of my homeboy's aunts screaming down on us about how joining a frat was going against christian values when we were debating on pledging.
 
2,815
11
Joined Apr 18, 2008
I know the Deltas definitely have Christianity as a pillar....



of course, I mean, c'mon....who really is a "christian" christian? They bout as christian as people who join churches are. They are christian inthe sense that you believe in Jesus and you wake up and go to church despite what you was doing the previous night....
 
769
10
Joined Apr 5, 2008
Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

People dont join frats/sororities to worship greek or egyptian gods, and trust when I say no hardcore christian would join one.
Well that's definitely part of the issue--people don't join to worship greek or egyptian gods but do they KNOW that, that is essentially what they're doing...

Additionally, no hardcore christian might join but then what about the remaining "liberal" christians...

...
What are YOU talking about. This thread and the video are laughable. I am a member of Omerga Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. Everybody is entitled totheir own opinion, but without being a member of a greek organization how can you speek on the principles of the organizations. I didn't watch the wholevideo, but I heard enough after hearing the guy talk less than a minute. Speaking from my experiences with my organization, there is no association with the"worship of pagan and/or Egyptian gods". Actually it's quite the opposite. The foundation of Omega is in Christianity and Christian values. Nooffense to the OP, but you sound very ignorant to the whole concept of greek organization.
As to the guy in the video, in my college experience I found that the very religous students seemed to form their own sort of organization. In many ways it didnot differ from greek organizations, if not more extreme in that if you weren't a part you are looked at as an outsider.
In closing, there are many members of greek organizations who go on to become spirital leader (i.e. pastors, bishops, decons, etc...) as well as communityleaders. I have never heard somebody in the pulpit asking any members to bow to Omega, Alpha, Kappa... I could go on and on...bottom line, I DISAGREE with thisthread, the video and OP.
 
4,158
1,104
Joined Dec 13, 2003
::Yawwwwn:: Here we go again. Alpha is NOT the head of my life, GOD is. I cant speak for all of my brothers ,or the rest of the NPHC for that matter, but Iassume that majority feel like me.

Oh yea, cant leave without one of these............ 1 1 1 1 9
 
227
10
Joined Nov 19, 2001
I was a member of a fraternity and part of the process clearly stated that "we will never ask for anything that would or could conflict to your god,personal and religious beliefs."
 
5,739
2,611
Joined Nov 27, 2007
Can any of you guys in frats explain the roots of your organization?(not an attack, just curious) if it's not too secretive? Because I never understood howblack and greek got together.
 
9,260
1,697
Joined Oct 17, 2008
Meh, I'm Catholic, idolatry happens all the time with the worship of Saints. I don't see anything wrong with frats; I think dude is reaching and takingthings out of context.
 
7,501
3,740
Joined Dec 3, 2007
Originally Posted by phaze1123

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

People dont join frats/sororities to worship greek or egyptian gods, and trust when I say no hardcore christian would join one.
Well that's definitely part of the issue--people don't join to worship greek or egyptian gods but do they KNOW that, that is essentially what they're doing...

Additionally, no hardcore christian might join but then what about the remaining "liberal" christians...

...
What are YOU talking about. This thread and the video are laughable. I am a member of Omerga Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but without being a member of a greek organization how can you speek on the principles of the organizations. I didn't watch the whole video, but I heard enough after hearing the guy talk less than a minute. Speaking from my experiences with my organization, there is no association with the "worship of pagan and/or Egyptian gods". Actually it's quite the opposite. The foundation of Omega is in Christianity and Christian values. No offense to the OP, but you sound very ignorant to the whole concept of greek organization.
As to the guy in the video, in my college experience I found that the very religous students seemed to form their own sort of organization. In many ways it did not differ from greek organizations, if not more extreme in that if you weren't a part you are looked at as an outsider.
In closing, there are many members of greek organizations who go on to become spirital leader (i.e. pastors, bishops, decons, etc...) as well as community leaders. I have never heard somebody in the pulpit asking any members to bow to Omega, Alpha, Kappa... I could go on and on...bottom line, I DISAGREE with this thread, the video and OP.
What's good with the hostile undertones in your response...this was not meant to offend you, if it did, my bad...but please calm down...really...

So because you don't agree with what is being presented in the video, it's laughable...ok buddy...
. Furthermore, I've yet to offer an opinion on the matter so feel free toshow me where I interjected my opinion on the principles of the organization. What I offered in the OG post of this thread was A SUMMARY OF THE POSTED VIDEO,for those who, for one reason or another, couldn't view it. As previously stated, I have yet to offer my opinion so chill with subliminal shots at myintelligence, word to "...you sound very ignorant"...--coming from a guy who "didn't watch the whole video" and heard "the guytalk [for] less than a minute...".

But enough of bickering, I'd rather prefer we had a "mature" discussion. Considering you watched less than a minute, I'm very sure you missedthe part in the video where connections are made to the various pagan and egyptian gods--a connection that essentially shows the relationship between theselesser gods and the various greek organizations.

Phi beta Sigma -- associated with the egyptian god Horus
Alpha Kappa Alpha -- assocciated with the god Katesh, a semetic egyptian god worshipped in the egyptian "book of the dead"
Alpha Phi Alpha -- associated with the Sphinx
Delta Sigma Theta -- associated with roman goddess Minerva/ egyptian goddess Isis/ greek goddess Athena
Kappa Alpha Si -- associated with Thaw (sp)
Zetta Phi Beta -- associated with the egyptian god Bastet, the devouring lady and cat goddess (word to baby phat emblem)
Omega Si Phi (your fraternity) -- associated with Anubis, the jackel god word to why the symbol for Omegas is a dog...

This is all in addition to the fact that some of these gods/goddesses are presented on the shields/crests or the respective fraternity/sorority. I don'tdeny that members of the aforementioned frats/sorors are "good" people who do things to help the community. The real issue is whether theseindividuals have full knowledge of the roots of the chosen fraternities/sororities. That's the real issue here.

Realities and perceptions can differ greatly. The perception may be that these organizations are rooted in christianity, but the reality may reveal other wise.


...
 
2,200
14
Joined Nov 28, 2007
I love when non-Greek affiliated people try to discuss Greek matters. You have FAR too much time on your hands and are reading into this way too much.
 
2,754
142
Joined Mar 1, 2007
Originally Posted by D723

I love when non-Greek affiliated people try to discuss Greek matters. You have FAR too much time on your hands and are reading into this way too much.
how does he have far too much time on his hands? he watched a video and asked people what they thought about the information that the videopresented...no where in his posts did he put his opinions about "Greek matters"
 
7,501
3,740
Joined Dec 3, 2007
Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Can any of you guys in frats explain the roots of your organization?(not an attack, just curious) if it's not too secretive? Because I never understood how black and greek got together.
I have professors and friends who are member of black frats or sorors and from my understanding, these came about in response to the exclusion of blacks fromwhite greek organizations, back in the day, as a consequence of skin color (race). So in essence, the black greek organizations are a response to thealienation created by white greek organizations.

At the end of the day, and interestingly enough, both "groups" utilize the same symbols and categorize themselves under the "greek"umbrella--

...
 
3,620
728
Joined Feb 2, 2003
Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

What's good with the hostile undertones in your response...this was not meant to offend you, if it did, my bad...but please calm down...really...

So because you don't agree with what is being presented in the video, it's laughable...ok buddy...
. Furthermore, I've yet to offer an opinion on the matter so feel free to show me where I interjected my opinion on the principles of the organization. What I offered in the OG post of this thread was A SUMMARY OF THE POSTED VIDEO, for those who, for one reason or another, couldn't view it. As previously stated, I have yet to offer my opinion so chill with subliminal shots at my intelligence, word to "...you sound very ignorant"...--coming from a guy who "didn't watch the whole video" and heard "the guy talk [for] less than a minute...".

But enough of bickering, I'd rather prefer we had a "mature" discussion. Considering you watched less than a minute, I'm very sure you missed the part in the video where connections are made to the various pagan and egyptian gods--a connection that essentially shows the relationship between these lesser gods and the various greek organizations.

Phi beta Sigma -- associated with the egyptian god Horus
Alpha Kappa Alpha -- assocciated with the god Katesh, a semetic egyptian god worshipped in the egyptian "book of the dead"
Alpha Phi Alpha -- associated with the Sphinx
Delta Sigma Theta -- associated with roman goddess Minerva/ egyptian goddess Isis/ greek goddess Athena
Kappa Alpha Si -- associated with Thaw (sp)
Zetta Phi Beta -- associated with the egyptian god Bastet, the devouring lady and cat goddess (word to baby phat emblem)
Omega Si Phi (your fraternity) -- associated with Anubis, the jackel god word to why the symbol for Omegas is a dog...

This is all in addition to the fact that some of these gods/goddesses are presented on the shields/crests or the respective fraternity/sorority. I don't deny that members of the aforementioned frats/sorors are "good" people who do things to help the community. The real issue is whether these individuals have full knowledge of the roots of the chosen fraternities/sororities. That's the real issue here.

Realities and perceptions can differ greatly. The perception may be that these organizations are rooted in christianity, but the reality may reveal other wise.


...
How so? You act as if the founders of these fraternities were undercover pagans or something, which was clearly not the case. Yes, there may besome correlation with pagan type rituals and symbols, but that just comes with the territory of the FRATERNITY tradition. Hell, christianity itself rippedalmost everything from pagan traditions/"lessor gods"/other religions.
 
7,501
3,740
Joined Dec 3, 2007
Originally Posted by D723

I love when non-Greek affiliated people try to discuss Greek matters. You have FAR too much time on your hands and are reading into this way too much.
So why don't you enlighten me...

Or have you "pledged" not to discuss "greek matters" with people like me--a person who hasn't taken the oath to serve theorganization...



...
 
5,739
2,611
Joined Nov 27, 2007
Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Can any of you guys in frats explain the roots of your organization?(not an attack, just curious) if it's not too secretive? Because I never understood how
black and greek got together.
I have professors and friends who are member of black frats or sorors and from my understanding, these came about in response to the exclusion of blacks from white greek organizations, back in the day, as a consequence of skin color (race). So in essence, the black greek organizations are a response to the alienation created by white greek organizations.

At the end of the day, and interestingly enough, both "groups" utilize the same symbols and categorize themselves under the "greek" umbrella--

...

I see. Thanks
 
7,501
3,740
Joined Dec 3, 2007
Originally Posted by sn00pee

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

What's good with the hostile undertones in your response...this was not meant to offend you, if it did, my bad...but please calm down...really...

So because you don't agree with what is being presented in the video, it's laughable...ok buddy...
. Furthermore, I've yet to offer an opinion on the matter so feel free to show me where I interjected my opinion on the principles of the organization. What I offered in the OG post of this thread was A SUMMARY OF THE POSTED VIDEO, for those who, for one reason or another, couldn't view it. As previously stated, I have yet to offer my opinion so chill with subliminal shots at my intelligence, word to "...you sound very ignorant"...--coming from a guy who "didn't watch the whole video" and heard "the guy talk [for] less than a minute...".

But enough of bickering, I'd rather prefer we had a "mature" discussion. Considering you watched less than a minute, I'm very sure you missed the part in the video where connections are made to the various pagan and egyptian gods--a connection that essentially shows the relationship between these lesser gods and the various greek organizations.

Phi beta Sigma -- associated with the egyptian god Horus
Alpha Kappa Alpha -- assocciated with the god Katesh, a semetic egyptian god worshipped in the egyptian "book of the dead"
Alpha Phi Alpha -- associated with the Sphinx
Delta Sigma Theta -- associated with roman goddess Minerva/ egyptian goddess Isis/ greek goddess Athena
Kappa Alpha Si -- associated with Thaw (sp)
Zetta Phi Beta -- associated with the egyptian god Bastet, the devouring lady and cat goddess (word to baby phat emblem)
Omega Si Phi (your fraternity) -- associated with Anubis, the jackel god word to why the symbol for Omegas is a dog...

This is all in addition to the fact that some of these gods/goddesses are presented on the shields/crests or the respective fraternity/sorority. I don't deny that members of the aforementioned frats/sorors are "good" people who do things to help the community. The real issue is whether these individuals have full knowledge of the roots of the chosen fraternities/sororities. That's the real issue here.

Realities and perceptions can differ greatly. The perception may be that these organizations are rooted in christianity, but the reality may reveal other wise.


...
How so? You act as if the founders of these fraternities were undercover pagans or something, which was clearly not the case. Yes, there may be some correlation with pagan type rituals and symbols, but that just comes with the territory of the FRATERNITY tradition. Hell, christianity itself ripped almost everything from pagan traditions/"lessor gods"/other religions.
Well phaze1123 stated that: "The foundation of Omega is inChristianity and Christian values..."

I Drink YourMilkshake also stated that : "I know the Deltas definitely have Christianity as a pillar.... "

Ask yourself, are these realities or perceptions...? From my point of view, those statements are opinions (perceptions). The association of these greekorganization with pagan/egyptian gods is definitely factual (reality) though. The evidence is quite clear in a few cases where the representative god isovertly displayed on some crest and/or emblem of prominence.

I highly doubt that the founders of black greek organizations were undercover pagans. But, be aware that black greek organizations, in some ways, stem fromwhite greek organizations. The relationship is not direct but there is definitely a relationship. With this in mind, and taking into the account that blackgreek organizations are a response and in some ways, an off shoot of white greek organization, the real question becomes--"were the founders of most ofthese white greek organization possibly undercover pagans"...and to be honest, I think so. Especially when you realize that the "free-masons",possibly the oldest "brotherhood" in existance, and possibly the blue print from which many, or a few, of these white greek organizations are basedon, is heavily inundated with pagan rituals, symbols, and gods.

To me, the fact that all these organizations have some association with some pagan/egyptian god is proof enough that this is more than a randomcorrelation--which is what I assume you're implying (i could be wrong in my interpretation h/e). And even if these correlations come with theterritory--then we're right back at my OG question, which is inferred (I would hope) in my OG post. Which asks whether it is appropriate for Christians toassociate with the aforemention fraternities and sororities--greek organizations-- which clearly show associations and correlations to pagan/egyptian gods.

...
 
1,328
10
Joined Mar 5, 2005
the whole frat thing is stupid.
you must really hate partying and hooking up with girls


not to mention we get better grades than the kids who are not in frats.

Hell, christianity itself ripped almost everything from pagan traditions/"lessor gods"/other religions.
/thread
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now