Calling all leasing agents** Help me find an APT in NYC

Just looking for advice on our soon to come move from University of Florida to NYC.....any help is appreciated

I have been looking at listing on craigslist nearly everyday. Just hoping to get some more advice thru nt

Details
Me = 22 yr old male with job at Macys in herald square
Girlfriend (Mabeliti$) = 22 yr old with job in elmherst area of queens. Exact location = we wish to keep nameless

Both recently graduated

Looking to spend a combined price of 1800 or less with everything included

I can get to my job with ease no matter the location.

A location near her area of work or within 30 minute train ride would be awesome

An apartment in VERY CLOSE walking distance to subway would be preferred as I dont want her walking long distances late at night.

We would be willing to do a single/loft/etc. or even take one bedroom out of a multiple bedroom apartment/house/etc.

Looking to move in Sept. 1 the latest as my first day of work is Sept. 10...willing to move in earlier such as August something.

Mods= If this post is not allowed for some odd reason. please just tell me where to move it to. I rarely post on NT and have been here for 5 yrs. I am just looking for any sort advice from the community

Thanks in advance!!

EDIT .....i realize our price range is not the most feasible in manhattan....unless we mazbe joined a 3 bedroom....and we shared a room........we are mainly looking at queens or northern brooklyn

soooo.....actually....if this thread doesnt get any help.....ill just get my girl to make the thread....im sure it will get a lot more attention......although, probably not any helpfull kind

bump

Not an agent but I do live in Elmhurst. I suggest you look for places in either Roosevelt Island or LIC those are midway between where you two work and they'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than looking for a place in the city.
TEAM [Scrubs]
I just stab my way up the weaponry chain. Have a knife, but need a gun? Stab a cop. Have a gun, but need explosives? Shoot a construction worker. Blow up an army guard post. Drive your tank into a nuclear missile silo, and so on.

Thanks, what is elmhurst like?

We plan on visiting from aug 7-21 to look for places....what do u suggest we plan for and do while there? As of now, we are just planning on looking for open house listings on craigslist for those 2 weeks and hoping to find somethign that way

from what ive seen, i dont plan on living in manhattan....but somewhere in queens or north brooklyn

it will be difficult to get a good apt without using a broker. you can try craigslist for a while...but if you're in a time crunch.. you might want to pony up and pay the broker's fee since they'll have access to the best listings.

T E A M N E R D​
Selling: DS Brazil Dunk Low sz 9.5
anyone want to trade a size 9.5 air safari for my size 9?

First reply was to other Falcon

Dirty.....yea....but 10-15% will kill us.....we are tryin to save up some money by shacking together......i mean i have a full two months from now......but the problem is, it seems as though people do not post listings until 2 weeks before they want a tenant at most......so having all this time is really not so useful.

Elmhurst? Nice place. Actually kinda boring but a pretty decent place to live and visit.
In Queens during that time? I'm sure my friend would want me to plug her Filipino cultural show but there's no shortage of concerts and museums throughout the city, check any tourist site and you'll be good.
TEAM [Scrubs]
I just stab my way up the weaponry chain. Have a knife, but need a gun? Stab a cop. Have a gun, but need explosives? Shoot a construction worker. Blow up an army guard post. Drive your tank into a nuclear missile silo, and so on.

Thanks....haha.....i mean im sure there will be a thread about her workplace within a week of her starting......but wed like to give it a shot.......wed be down to attend some event like that.....for suuure.....

Done and done sorry man, no disrespect meant. :wow:
embarassed.gif
TEAM [Scrubs]I just stab my way up the weaponry chain. Have a knife, but need a gun? Stab a cop. Have a gun, but need explosives? Shoot a construction worker. Blow up an army guard post. Drive your tank into a nuclear missile silo, and so on.

I found my apt. by using rent-direct.com - the fee is something like $160 (could be more now, this was over 2 years ago). It was very risky but I was running out of time and all the ads on CL were through brokers so I had to do something quick b/c I wasn't trying to pay a ridiculous amount of money to a broker. Anyways, rent-direct.com has ads of available apts. and gives you the direct number to the landlord of the building, cutting out the middle man. The ads weren't updated as much as I would have liked, but it's worth a shot b/c in my case I saved around a couple G's.

EDIT: I messed it up, it's rent-direct.com

wait, mabelitis is the girl in your avy right?
Code:
     New York Jets_New Jersey NetsWhat's the difference between me and you? (What?)About five bank accounts, three ounces and two vehicles

No offense, but you ain't living in NYC on that money. Take it to Jersey homie.

"Gentry Is The OG Killer" - 3thaman

All I have to say is FORGET looking anywhere in manhattan.

I'd suggest queens as the borough you should look at, especially since your girl works there. You could look in to Roosevelt Island too but seeing as its technically a part of manhattan, they probably share the same 6 figure prices for rent.

Quote:
Looking to spend a combined price of 1800 or less with everything included

What's "everything"? Gas & hot water?

i personally have met people who pay 1100 or 900 and such in a 3 bedroom......we cant find a 1 bedroom or loft for 1800?.....come on......

that everything means all utilities and internet and such.......from the research i have done it seems feasible to find a place in queens or northern brooklyn.......my preference is not manhattan at the moment...

Also ....is it normally "allowed" for a couple to share a bedroom in a 2 or 3 bedroom apt?......i mean if we were both in one room in a 3 bedroom.....then we would obviouly pay more than 1/3 total rent, but wed pay less than 1/4 total rent......and everyone would save money......all 4 room mates sharing 3 rooms......that woudl be ideal

Quote:
i personally have met people who pay 1100 or 900 and such in a 3 bedroom

Probably live in a rent-controlled apartment and have been living there for some time. A 3 bedroom for 1100? Now? I'm willing to call that a MYTH.

You're looking at atleast a grand for a 1 bedroom.

hahaha.....NOOOO....thez live in a 3 bedroom.....but thez pay 1100 for their one room.....not the whole apt........is that still mythish?

I live on 97th and Madison for free. My father owns a few buildings in Manhattan.

Jamesiswhite, that makes more sense. My father charges 1700 for a one bedroom

Cruthik3, you sound like my new best friend.......any leads for me?....does my situation look like something your father would be interested in helping me with?

1800 could go a long way in Brooklyn. Look in Park Slope, Fort Greene, Brooklyn Heights. Fort Greene was cheap back when I lived there but since then it's been gentrified so it's becoming much more expensive. All of those neighborhoods are amongst the most expensive because of how close they are to the city. You could get a spacious 3 bedroom all to yourself for 1500 in Flatbush but that is a bit further away and it isn't exactly Park Slope. :wink:
wink.gif

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."​

^^^^^
I thought 1800 was reasonable....thanks for that confirmation....i was freaking out for a second there.....Where do you stay now?....800 for a one bedroom sounds niiiiceeeee......shes tiny and we dont demand a lot of space for our first year or two in nyc.....saving money would be nice....

Right now I'm in Flatbush. Not exactly a "good" neighborhood, but I'm in the "best" part of it. Depending on where you gotta go to in the city, it may not be that bad. My friend and I share a 3 bedroom (yes, 2 people in a 3 bedroom) for only $1300, utilities included. That price is not realistic though, because we got the apartment under special circumstances. You should expect to pay $1500 for a place like mine (without utilities included). That being said, you could get a decent 1 bedroom here for under $1000. I saw an ad for a 1 bedroom in Borough Park (which is more or less the same distance from the city as Flatbush is) for $750. That is actually what I was gonna take before I moved here.

So it basically depends on the neighborhood you're willing to live in. If you'd put up with a @#%$ neighborhood, you'll save a lot. You were only being unreasonable if you were thinking $1800 would go a long way in the Manhattan. Brooklyn and Queens is a whole different story.

Edit - A quick search on craigslist and I found a "Large 2 room studio" near Prospect Park for $900

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."​

Back
Top Bottom