Calling All NT'ers w/ Diabetes & High Blood Pressure/NT Nutritionists/Health Nuts

cliffs notes version of what happened:  discharged from the hospital yesterday w/ the diagnosis of low potassium, acute renal failure, and hypertension. 

so the dr's called it a 'lifestyle change' on my diet.  after 28 years, my unhealthy diet caught up w/ me.  and so i ask you NT'ers:  what is good stuff to eat for the rest of my life?  i have pamphlets and websites and i get the 'no sodas, no salt' information.  but i'd like to know foods that are great for a on-the-go schedules and foods that are low maintenance to prepare aka little-to-no cooking.

you should try ants-on-a-log..

raisin-ants.jpg

celery stalks (washed & cut into about 5" pieces)
peanut butter in the inside
raisins

really good. really easy. pretty damn healthy snack for on the go.

Damn OP.. Sorry to hear that. How old r u btw? That kidney failure hit you pretty quick.. Hope all turns out well.

Keep that diabetes and hypertension in check.. Goodluck

Originally Posted by J Dilla Himself

^substitute regular peanut butter with natural peanut butter and replace the raisins with something else.

that defeats the purpose! what could possibly be a good enough substitute?
eyes.gif

^substitute regular peanut butter with natural peanut butter and replace the raisins with something else.

Also the celery should be switched with something healthier.

Basically, that snack sucks.

^aren't you the one who eats fried $!@* like everyday? from the little trucks on the corner of (insert generic ny streets here)?

your opinion is null & void, health food n00b.

check out this dvd called raw in 30 days it's about diabetes.

stay away from juices fruit juices gatorade etc.

Go to dr. mercola.com

hope you get better

Whats renal failure mean?

But I think this thread has inspired me to really start eating better. And not just diet but really make a change in the way I eat all the time.

Eventhough, I cant give up soda
frown.gif

Originally Posted by starzinoureyes

that defeats the purpose! what could possibly be a good enough substitute?
eyes.gif
oh, i just dont like raisins

Originally Posted by KatieJade4

Eventhough, I cant give up soda
frown.gif

RIP.

To the person up there talking about fried stuff from cars....I've no clue what youre talking about.

OP, Ill give you some of my recipes in a few.

oh, i just dont like raisins

me neither. let's cheat.. chocolate chips ftw.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Diego

To the person up there talking about fried stuff from cars....I've no clue what youre talking about.

you're a funny guy.

serious business

I think I could never give up soda..... thats why I save it for a special occasion and I never eat candy or anything sweet only soda

Acute renal failure is a condition where your kidneys fail to perform its job, which is essentially to filter out blood and regulate blood pressure. ACUTE renal failure is usually reversible and normal to near normal function is usually restored once the inciting factor is removed.

In the case of OP, who most likely suffers from high BP and i'm speculating diabetes or borderline diabetes, forgive me if i'm wrong, he's going to have to keep his diabetes and hypertension in check lest his kidneys be irreversibly damaged. Acute renal failure can cause lots of bad things to happen and can lead to chronic renal failure to the point where you would need dialysis or a kidney transplant.

Most people don't know that the kidneys are the primary organs for regulating blood pressure and damaging it could lead to an increased risk for cardiac events (heart attacks, strokes). Its kind of like a vicious cycle. High blood pressure can cause kidney damage and the kidney damage can precipitate high blood pressure. And as we all know high blood pressure = heart attacks, strokes, etc.

So what's the moral of the story? Lets all cut back on the salts, fast foods, and exercise regularly. Goodluck again OP

thanks for all of your guys' concern. much appreciated

to answer some of your guys' questions: on the go, meaning i am at work quite often. put in about 40-47 hrs and tired when i get home. not in the mood to cook. i'm looking for something healthy that i can prep, but still taste like good food.

i will be 29 this month. yes, it this hit me pretty early, but this is all fault. having a bad diet, you don't realize the importance of your diet until you're laid up in the hospital being woken up every 4 hrs to take vitals and have the liquid bags constantly flowing thru the IV. not a fun experience. i went to the ER for something else and came out w/ this information.

the good news is that my kidneys were negative after they 'flushed' my system and gave me the potassium pills.

today was my 1st day and it wasn't the best eating experience, but i cut out soda completely. i had fruit juice, 0-carb powerade, ranch doritos, a chicken wrap, fig newtons, and a very bland dinner that consisted of a specially-prepped chicken, brussel sprouts, and mashed potatoes. pretty disgusting, but i don't have a choice.

DIEGO-  i would GREATLY appreciate any recipes you could offer.

I'm curious as to what were your symptoms.

What did you go in for? 

Not to get nosy, just curious, I'm close to your age and I'm starting to watch my health more.

My vice is soda (Diet, still bad I know).  I hardly drink alcohol anymore and I don't drink juices (What the $%@+ is Juice?
laugh.gif
) since they are high in sugar.

I have increased my water intake, even though I don't really like drinking water outside of the gym.  I carry around an Arrowhead Jug and just refill it at work since I have plenty of water coolers I can mooch water from
laugh.gif
.  I'm thinking of getting a couple of Sigg bottles, but damn those things are expensive, the Jugg will do for now.

Eating healthy could get boring.  However, there are a ton of recipes on the Men's Health website.

I'm too lazy so I just marinate chicken breast and cook them on my George Foreman grill.  It's boring, but it's easy and I love Chicken Breast. 

I was 240 in December, decided to pig out for the holidays.  Down to 230 now, and have stepped up my biking/running.  Trying to get to 210-215 which is the weight I'm most comfortable in.

I have hbp. I'll run through many of the changes I made to my diet.

Breakfast - regular whole milk and eggs/bagels/bacon to fat free milk and oatmeal.

Lunch- burgers/fried chicken/fish to salads and homemade food. I'd eat the salads usually when I eat out for lunch. Get the dressing on the side.

Dinner- cheese steaks/pizza to salmon/tuna/baked chicken.

So, when you are out, try to eat salads with the dressing on the side. Order grilled instead of fried. Water for soda.

When chicken is on sale at the market, buy a bunch of it, freeze what you don't eat now. Then buy some frozen veggies. Get some seasoning, bake the chicken, toss the frozen veggies in the pot and 30 minutes later, you have dinner today, lunch tomorrow, and then maybe even dinner the next day.

Eat salmon, tuna, if it's tuna salad, make it yourself because most places use too much mayo, grilled/baked chicken. Grilled pork chops. (stay away from the ribs and bacon) Also, try to stay away from cheese. When you eat out, order your food without cheese if you can. Cheese is high in saturated fat.

Good luck bro.

Back
Top Bottom