Calling all NYU alumni/students...

I just got accepted, and I have literally no knowledge of the school at all.
So Niketalk NYU alumni or students...
Why should I attend NYU?

wait... so you applied to the school despite having no knowledge of it whatsoever?

...why? is that what kids do these days?

great school, in the city, high suicide rate...there are bars on some of the dorm windows. There is one kid every year who jumps off a campus building...

if your not majoring in finance or anything in tisch, save your money and go somewhere else where you'll probably get alot more money.

Originally Posted by holler mcdollar

wait... so you applied to the school despite having no knowledge of it whatsoever?

...why? is that what kids do these days?

Exact same thought. 
OP: go to collegeconfidential.com forums. There is a specific NYU forum. I looked at this site while making my college decision. 

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

high suicide rate...
eek.gif

i dono how nyu got so gassed up over the years. probably because it's in manhattan and that's the only reason. i got in too when i applied but i'm glad i didn't go there, would've been a waste of money for a mediocre school.

UNLESS you got into stern business, don't bother coming all the way from cali unless you're loaded. even if you get scholarship, i doubt you would get that for the 4 years and at one point would probably have to pay out of pocket.

I'm definitely going to weigh my options before I choose which college to attend, I'm still waiting on about 8-9 schools to respond.

Originally Posted by milkandcookies

Originally Posted by McL0vin

Important question... Are u from one of the 5 boroughs?
no, I'm from the san francsico bay area.
Then u'll prolly enjoy it.

This was my dream school till I visited the campus. I hated how small the rooms were, hated the majority of ppl at the school and just didnt like the vibe I got from being there.
Had a couple friends go to the school that I visited often and they all hated it. Only their friends from out of state liked the school and the city, but congrats on getting accepted and def visit the school before making a decision if u can.

high suicide rate...
eek.gif
It's the truth, you see about it in the post every year, students and professors alike. 

In all honesty, though, I didn't go there, but from what I can see from living in New York and from NYU friends, it's obviously not your typical college experience.  There is no campus, and the the quality of life is very poor.  Don't be expecting house parties or what not, and from what I've heard, tuition goes up every year. 

If you do decide to go there, though, join a Fraternity, I think it'll help you to see the city more since most bars are pretty strict on IDs.

don't do it man. I go to GW and GW and NYU are very similar.

once you get to college, you'll realize that names aren't as important as what you do at a school.
if you're not going for business or tisch, don't go because it's not worth it. honestly, I regret not choosing
a traditional college. being in the city is too much and kills the whole college vibe imo. especially, being from
a beautiful place like the bay, you might not like NYC.

just my opinion though.

Originally Posted by reigndrop

high suicide rate...
eek.gif
It's the truth, you see about it in the post every year, students and professors alike. 

In all honesty, though, I didn't go there, but from what I can see from living in New York and from NYU friends, it's obviously not your typical college experience.  There is no campus, and the the quality of life is very poor.  Don't be expecting house parties or what not, and from what I've heard, tuition goes up every year. 

If you do decide to go there, though, join a Fraternity, I think it'll help you to see the city more since most bars are pretty strict on IDs.

tuition goes up at every college every year lol.

Congrats kid
pimp.gif
. I got into NYU as well a few years back but the money situation was horrible. Hopefully they throw some nice grants and scholarships your way. They are notorious for terrible financial aid with it being among the worst in the nation.

first off, congrats for getting in. i dont go to NYU but a couple of my friends do and i've been up there a couple times.

but are you sure you can afford it? NYU is NOT cheap, and they're stingy like ##!$ with financial aid. i would look at my other options first before i commit to doling out 50k+ a year. unless you're in the Stern business school, idk if its worth it... and even Stern is overpriced.

as for the suicide thing, yeah a kid jumped off a balcony this year but i wouldnt worry about that too much.

what are your other options?

I'm in Stern. It's not worth the money if you're not in Stern and they probably aren't going to give you any aid. I love it here regardless of the tuition situation.

It depends on what you plan on going to school for. If you aren't going to Stern or Tisch don't waste the money.

Attended NYU from 2004-2007 (lived in dorms my freshmen year) Stern school of business, didn't graduate (finished my BA at S.U.) Being born and raised in NYC it was a great accomplishment my parents were proud but later complained about the price.

It took me 3 years to realize how OVERRATED NYU is. If your major isn't in finance or in the arts I wouldn't recommend it. I know people who majored in other fields who are in $100K+ debt in student loans making a regular salary and on the flip side I know people who were students with me who've been making six figures before the age of 23.

I would research the job market of your area of study regardless of what University you choose to attend before applying. NYU does have a lot of networking opportunities that can advance your career, my final advice would be just to work hard.

Back
Top Bottom