Calling all Texas (spec. Houston) residents (real estate)

I live in Chicago now and with my graduating soon. Im looking for a place to live since Chicago is not that great and mostly because real estate is so expensive. I know that it is very cheap in Texas, I look at a few websites. Im wondering why this is and if you guys like living there. Thanks for any input.
TEAM FINANCE​
No one ever got rich working​

Houston:

Downtown is amazing. I feel really bad leaving for college because I really love downtown.

The food is amazing. The nightlife is ok, unless you like Mikejones.

It's cheap to live in Texas because the C-of-L is so low.

For example, $20.00 in Chico might be $60.00 in Houston.

go over to the regional forums

i live in dallas and houston property is cheaper than dallas...one reason houston is cheaper is because there's no zoning in the city..its still cheaper than the midwest. i bought a house 6 months after moving here..there's no state tax in TX so that makes a difference too.

one reason its cheaper than chicago is there's no basements. when they build a house they dont have to dig too far underground, and the weather is nice so they can build year round..
Go Huskers, Bengals, A's, Blazers.
Anti Variant Movement!www.myspace.com/rafaeldagreat
402 Omaha,NE native

I don;t live in Houston but I've visited the city a couple times and the real estate is a great deal.

You can get a large four bedroom home with a large yard and varanda for chump change and you can actually buy a house like that near down down, you don't have to live out in the sticks to get a good deal on a home.

Downtown Houston has all of the cultural stuff like any big city, the night life is pretty good and the restaurants are damn good. The weather is oppresively humid during Summer days but the nighst are great because it feels like the tropics.

Best of all you will be ahome owner before most of us and since land is so cheap you will probably be owning a Summer home in Galvestnon (the nearest beach/vacation town) when us SF/LA/NYC/Seattle/Chicago people will be finally getting our first two bedroom condos. :lol:
laugh.gif
Team Economics
From Friedman to Sowell, we know what's up.
Official Roster: Rexanglorum, KingLouisXIV, vkhoj, SunDOOBIE, geeduptrickyG
AIM: Roy Anglais​

Texas Mutha F**ka Thats Where I Stay.....

You will like Texas, the weather is alot better than Chicago's and the people are nicer.
Trelvis Tha Thrilla
www.myspace.com/trelvisrecords
Wanted: Jordan X Steels and XII in 10.5 or 11...Let me know!

I hated TX growing up, but after visiting other cities and even countries ... it doesn't get any better.

babydill.
baby-dill.com is in FULL effect. check it out every week for new updates

It depends where you want to do real estate, of course like all cities. There are couple neighborhoods around mines are actually going down in value for some reason. My house, in an older neighborhood( around 15+ years older) went up in value as of recent. Pops bought the house for around 150,000 back in 2000-2001. It now cost 200,000+/- for the house now. While the neighborhood my girl stays( just built up around 4 years ago) bought the house for 190,000, and is now 185,000

I lve in the greater houston area, outside of the beltway 8 loop, were its more residental. Between beltway 8 and 610 loop, you have older model homes, but cost alot more since its alot closer to the city. And of course the innerloop is the urban area. Costing a butt load. Of course there not going to be NYC or D.C prices, like pushing 1 mil for a 3 room apartment, but its alot heftier than where im leaving.

Just say you can build a pretty bad mofo house with 500,000-750,000. Your looking at private driveway, 6-7 rooms, 5+ baths, probably up and down stars living room, spiral stairs, pool in the back, and probably 3-4 garage parking.

My house that was 150,000 has 4 rooms, 2.5 baths, 2story, fish pond, glass room, and seperate garage just to give you an idea.

Hopefully you have a car too, you would die if you dont have one in houston, everything is really spread out.

If your balling enough, look up the post oaks/galleria area of houston. Or even sugarland.
"IS IT WRONG TO BE STRONG?
-FS: BNIB IPOD 2GB NANO - LASER IV - FLINT XIII -

Quote:
I hated TX growing up, but after visiting other cities and even countries ... it doesn't get any better.

:DALLAS MAVERICKS:
>TLN PRODUCTIONS<
"Dirk is working that defense like a part time job right now!"

Similar question but what can you natives tell me about Pearland, Kingwood, or Woodlands? How far are they from downtown? Not to sound disrespectful, but how imperative is knowing Spanish? Thanks
JS"

I dont know much about pearland, other than its a drive from the city. (south of the city, about 30 mins south)

Kingwood I know notoriously. Because the last couple years, my highschool basketball team has a rival with them. We always seem to win during the regular season but lose in the playoffs to them. Also, they hold the kingwood classics in kingwood, where all the highschool prospects come and ball it up in tournements. OJ mayo + co were there last year. As for distance from the city, i would wanna say 20 mins depending on traffic...(going atleast 70ish) north of the city. Its the whiter part of the great areas of houston.

Woodlands is really literally "ballin". I go up there to do some shopping since its mall is in a really nice part of town. Alot of places to do there and houses are really nice yet expensive. Its about a 15+/- min drive from the city depending on traffic. (60ish) Also a whiter part of the greater area of houston

You do not need to know spanish down here. You can get by with english.

Texas :pimp:
pimp.gif

:DALLAS MAVERICKS:
>TLN PRODUCTIONS<
Josh Howard for All-Star Campaign Leader

Quote:
I dont know much about pearland, other than its a drive from the city. (south of the city, about 30 mins south)
:rofl:
roll.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif
:smh:
smh.gif

..:team TEXAS:..
.:832:.
Certified Member: Fear em, as soon as ya hear em; upon my arrival the dope dealers cheer em.

^^ Lol yeah, your right, i just see the sign pearland whenever i drive to galveston, and im like damn, its all the way out here. I am from NW of houston. 1960 and I-45.

Quote:
. To be honest though if you really want to come up, look in San Antonio. The cost of living is even cheaper there and development is BOOMING.
at 120k now they've lowered them a great deal to attract future home buyers.
he's all in my life like hip hop​

Damn Drunken Cow...you live really close by me...what high school do you go to? Klein? Westfield?
I might be in the 12th grade, but I'm still a fresh man.

I love Htown...

coming from huntsville to houston at night and looking downtown with the windows down jaming jeezy is the best feeling in the world.

The almighty westfield...( our sports department feel off so bad compared to last year...)

Property tax is expensive, thats all I gotta say. The peeps that own property know what i'm talking about.
LONG BEACH TO HOUSTON

FS ONLY: KID ROBOT PASTEL HOODIES SIZE MEDIUM IN MENS & WOMENS. ESTEVAN ORIOL "WEST COAST" T-SHIRT SIZE MEDIUM.

i couldn't stand the burbs of houston.... but now i live in an apt inside the 610 loop and i love the area.

Back
Top Bottom