Calvin Johnson: Greatest WR of All Time Discussion

Dudes on here playing mix and match with players, teams and quarterbacks now.....:lol: .  Talk about trying to shuffle the deck of cards.   At the end of the day, you can only go by what a player actually does on the field and the level that they produce at.  With that being said, the greatest receiver of all-time is still Jerry Rice. 

This.

"Well what if Rice didn't have Young or Montana" Oh I'm sorry its Jerry's fault. :lol:

Wait, you place Fitz above TO? I dunno man. I currently have TO 2nd All-Time behind Jerry and ahead of Randy.

Jerry
TO
Randy

Wait, you place Fitz above TO? I dunno man. I currently have TO 2nd All-Time behind Jerry and ahead of Randy.

Jerry
TO
Randy

T.O. drops too many passes for me. And I've seen Randy disappear in the playoffs WITH Tom Brady. Moss and T.O. are great too but I trust Fitz a lot more.

Last edited:
Well what if Rice had Jim Everett throwing him the ball... :lol: Would Rice even be considered top 1000?

And you couldn't say the same thing if Jim Everett threw the ball to Calvin... If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. I don't to play QB carousel you can if you want to though.

Moss was a Tyree helmet catch away from having the game winning TD in a Super Bowl on his resume. :smh:

Ches, was that MVP Gannon throwing Rice the 1,200?

We just going to act like TO ain't put the team on his back with a surgery repaired ankle in the Super Bowl? Win or lose, I've never seen a performance like that considering the context.

Doesn't matter to me whether or not Randy has rings. He changed the game. He was a freak. We never saw anyone at WR like that before. Calvin has some similarities but is humbled and works hard. Randy quit and had his problems off the field. I have no issue with people saying he's not the greatest because of his childish behavior at times.

Jerry was great no doubt. He had two HOF QBs which helped him out and stayed in the league for a very long time just to stack his numbers.

from the "Week in Review" thread
Calvin is definitely the best right now , but let's not get carried away calling him better than Rice and Moss because hes great at getting a bunch of yards . hes nowhere close to either one of them when it comes to getting in the end zone

way too early to put him in the conversation of best WR of all time

But Calvin also faces coverages in the red zone/end zone that no other receiver has ever faced.

Doesn't matter to me whether or not Randy has rings. He changed the game. He was a freak. We never saw anyone at WR like that before. Calvin has some similarities but is humbled and works hard. Randy quit and had his problems off the field. I have no issue with people saying he's not the greatest because of his childish behavior at times.

Jerry was great no doubt. He had two HOF QBs which helped him out and stayed in the league for a very long time just to stack his numbers.

ON THE MONEY

Moss isn't the greatest, but if I'm a QB who needed that last throw in the endzone I would take Moss over anybody.

That 2002 Jerry Rice team that Chester alluded too is a perfect example of what Jerry thrived on his whole career.

MVP Joe Montana
MVP Steve Young
MVP Rich Gannon

San Fran had Roger Craig, John Taylor, Tom Rathman, Brent Jones around.
When they left, Ricky Waters, JJ Stokes, even a young TO cam aboard.

That Oakland team had Charlie Garner who ran and caught for 900+ yards EACH
Tim Brown
Jerry Porter (who led the team in receiving TD's)
and Doug Jolley

Rice was awesome. He was also surrounded by weapons his whole career, with 3 of the most accurate QB's who all won MVP's.

If Calvin can keep Stafford, Reggie Bush, Pettigrew around and somehow get a healthy #2 receiver to take some coverage off of him, Calvin may be able to make some playoff runs and see if he can at least match what Fitzgerald did, if not get to where Jerry did.

As of now, per game, his numbers are right in line with Rice in his San Fran days. Shade over 5 catches a game, 87 yards a game to Jerry's 80, and 61 TD's with Jerry bein around 80-85 or so. (not sure where exactly at the 100 game mark)

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!

Calvin Johnson, at 28, is sitting at:
535 Receptions
8,657 Yards
61 TD's

1 Playoff game. 12 receptions, 211 yards, 2 TD

Larry Fitzgerald, at 30, is sitting at:
800 Receptions
10,883 yards
82 TD's

6 Playoff games. 42 receptions, 705 yards, 9 TD.

:nerd:

for the record, calvin can't himself affect the number of playoff games he plays in. just want to note that since people glossed over it.

:lol: @ Fits being slow.

We just going to act like TO ain't put the team on his back with a surgery repaired ankle in the Super Bowl? Win or lose, I've never seen a performance like that considering the context.

Nah. T.O. was a beast but he still dropped too many passes to be in my top 3.

Calvin is a beast, no doubt about that.

A couple of questions though:

Is he putting up these type of numbers because of the way secondaries have to cover WRs now a days with all the rule changes and touchy flags being thrown?

Is he putting up these type of numbers because there are no legit lockdown man to man cover corners in the league right now? Don't give me Revis or Sherman either.

You guys don't have to lowkey throw shade on Stafford to put CJ in a more positive light. He's gonna be catching passes from Stafford for a long time so those "what if he was catching passes from Montana/Young" arguments should go out the window.

Back
Top Bottom