Cambodian workers hurt in Nike factory clash

jchambers

Banned

Cambodian workers hurt in Nike factory clash

Police with stun batons were called to end a protest over pay by 3,000 mostly female workers making clothes for the US firm

Reuters in Phnom Penh
The Guardian, Monday 27 May 2013 10.33 EDT

View media item 431174
Kim Leap, 44, the mother of a worker who died during an accident in a shoe factory, cries near the coffin of her son in Kampong Speu province. Workers at a Nike factory in the province are now protesting over pay. Photograph: Samrang Pring/Reuters

At least 23 workers were hurt in Cambodia on Monday when police using stun batons moved in to end a protest over pay at a factory that makes clothing for Nike, a trade union representative said.

Police with riot gear were deployed to move about 3,000 mostly female workers who had blocked a road outside their factory, owned by Sabrina (Cambodia) Garment Manufacturing, in Kampong Speu province, west of Phnom Penh.

According to the International Monetary Fund, clothing accounted for 75% of Cambodia's total exports of $5.22bn (£3.45bn) in 2011. Low-cost labour has attracted manufacturers making clothes and shoes for western brands but strikes over pay and working conditions have become common.

This month, two workers were killed at a factory making running shoes for Asics when part of a warehouse fell in on them.

A series of deadly incidents at factories in Bangladesh, including the collapse of a building last month that killed more than 1,000 people, has focused global attention on safety in Asian factories.

Sun Vanny, president of the Free Trade Union at Sabrina, said the workers making the Nike clothing had been staging strikes and protests since 21 May. They want the US sportswear firm, which employs more than 5,000 people at the plant, to give them $14 a month to help pay for transport, rent and healthcare costs on top of their $74 minimum wage.

Authorities declined to comment on the clash, saying they were still collecting reports. No immediate comment was available from Nike.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/27/cambodian-workers-hurt-nike-factory-clash

Last edited:
Where is the attention on this? We continue to buy nice shoes, complain about camping over night, and put a high pedestal on these material goods, all while they are being shipped from factories with people working in terrible conditions. The money spent on brand image needs to go over there and fix this.

Last edited:
lets see how much attention this thread gets........

mjpopcorn.gif

Last edited:
Where is the attention on this? We continue to buy nice shoes, complain about camping over night, and put a high pedestal on these material goods, all while they are being shipped from factories with people working in terrible conditions. The money spent on brand image needs to go over there and fix this.

Cambodian workers are secretly getting back at consumers for purchasing these products by making the shoes poorly. That's why the sole came off of ninjahood's XII's.

Cambodian workers are secretly getting back at consumers for purchasing these products by making the shoes poorly. That's why the sole came off of ninjahood's XII's.

:rofl: :smh:

This is the company that has people paying 300 for Lebron's and the consumers continue to display their allegiance.

Companies would have to cover then lost profits somehow if they move their factories to the more expensive USA. The real question to everyone is, would you be willing to pay a more premium price for the stuff we buy everyday? That's not just shoes, but everything from smart phones to clothing. I think most would say yes on the outside, but internally I think a majority of people would not agree to it

Crazy how 1 pair of Jordans equals almost 3 months of wages for 1 person over there....smh...

When you see how these people are treated it makes you not even want to buy products from Nike or any of the other big companies.

Crazy how 1 pair of Jordans equals almost 3 months of wages for 1 person over there....smh...

When you see how these people are treated it makes you not even want to buy products from Nike or any of the other big companies.

Didnt know that fact.
pretty sad

nike_frown.jpeg

Companies would have to cover then lost profits somehow if they move their factories to the more expensive USA. The real question to everyone is, would you be willing to pay a more premium price for the stuff we buy everyday? That's not just shoes, but everything from smart phones to clothing. I think most would say yes on the outside, but internally I think a majority of people would not agree to it

it would have to be the corp's taking a smaller cut , which we know would not happen at all nike is already making 300 percent profit!! that's crazy enough , now ask nike or apple if they would take a less cut to move production to the US doubt it "rich get richer while the poor are just poor " the feeling of reading $74 a month while i spend 100 plus on J's made me feel sick, seeing all this BS flawsing while the real world is starving is sicking:smh::smh::smh:

laugh.gif
tired.gif
@ you dudes just now realizing that Nike is just another scumbag global corporation who puts profit over people

If conditions are really as bad then I can see why the grey market exist.

did you skip over the part that says they get $74 a month????? wtf is that ??? you cant even pay a cell phone bill with that let alone live on or feed your famliy ,this ****t is bad , I WOULD LOVE TO BOYCOTT NIKE AND SHOW THEM THEY DONT RUN US WE MADE THEM WHAT TEHY ARE LETS HURT THERE POCKETS FOR A CHANGE :smokin:smokin:smokin

:x:x

Last edited:
honestly, this is a major reason why i stopped buying sneakers so often. i still like them but i can't justify buying $150 pair that someone gets paid 30 cents to make.

next pair is a new balance made in usa.

did you skip over the part that says they get $74 a month????? wtf is that ??? you cant even pay a cell phone bill with that let alone live on or feed your famliy ,this ****t is bad , I WOULD LOVE TO BOYCOTT NIKE AND SHOW THEM THEY DONT RUN US WE MADE THEM WHAT TEHY ARE LETS HURT THERE POCKETS FOR A CHANGE :smokin:smokin:smokin

:x:x
Which Is why I;m starting to be sympathetic with the grey market. Work at the factory and learn to make some air maxes then make the air maxes on your own time and seell them your self to feed the kiddies.

it would have to be the corp's taking a smaller cut , which we know would not happen at all nike is already making 300 percent profit!! that's crazy enough , now ask nike or apple if they would take a less cut to move production to the US doubt it "rich get richer while the poor are just poor " the feeling of reading $74 a month while i spend 100 plus on J's made me feel sick, seeing all this BS flawsing while the real world is starving is sicking:smh::smh::smh:

The consumer won't pay more, and the company won't accept less. Both sides will argue the other should sacrifice. I don't think people really care about the well being of those workers

honestly, this is a major reason why i stopped buying sneakers so often. i still like them but i can't justify buying $150 pair that someone gets paid 30 cents to make.

next pair is a new balance made in usa.

Take a look at the inside tag on NB's next time you go shopping.

they need to bring them jobs to the u.s.. we hurting for jobs out here. guarantee u there would be less crime.

They're not willing to shrink the profit margins

New balance does it, but they make a hell of a lot less profit per shoe in comparison to Nike

Back
Top Bottom