Can a store change the price after you have paid for an item online?

Okay so I purchased a faucet online for $271.15 and paid using Paypal. I get an e-mail a day later from the store saying the item was incorrectly priced and is telling me that if I still want to purchase the faucet they will have to charge an additional $143.15.

I could have sworn this was against the law? Isn't a seller obligated to sell something as it is priced, especially AFTER I have already paid?

I bought a pair of cords when I was 13 that were marked at like $17 dollars. When the cashier rang them in they were $39. Chick tried changing the price. Lady I was with was like "nope, you have to sell them to him as they are priced." I was like
pimp.gif

How is this different?

This happens to websites all the time and they will ususally make you pay full price for the item

With a brick and mortar store you might have had a shot, but with the internet I seriously doubt you can do anything. I'd just get my money back and not support a site that 
treats their customers like that,especially spending that much on stuff.

for some reason, websites arent obligated to honor such "errors"

probably some bs in the terms and obligations (which most people dont read) about pricing errors

if its in store, you get the item for the price listed but online they dont have to honor jack.

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

for some reason, websites arent obligated to honor such "errors"

probably some bs in the terms and obligations (which most people dont read) about pricing errors

Sounds like a "bait and switch". But, the inspector is correct.

You can call the corporate office and fight it.  Tell them that they did a "bait and switch" move.

Normally stores website has some sort of disclaimer about what happens if there is a price error. But I don't think the law states they have to honour the price error, though it depends on the location.

correct me if I'm wrong but I was always under the impression that with online sales it is not considered "sold" until it ships which gives them the authority to change the price.

Originally Posted by Esco51

correct me if I'm wrong but I was always under the impression that with online sales it is not considered "sold" until it ships which gives them the authority to change the price.

this was my thinking too but I'm not sure either.

See if you can get a credit for the inconvience

Originally Posted by Esco51

A lot of online retailers have this clause in their Terms & Conditions. Gives them time to backtrack on their own mistake(s)...

If they stand pat, just say you'll send a kindly-worded letter claiming fraud to your state attorney general. They'll back off (trust me). They don't want to deal with that.

its only a bait and switch if they try to sell him a different product...

this is a pricing error and until they process the order the company has done nothing wrong. They still have the right to refuse sale.

if they shipped then you pay what it shipped at. but if they caught the mistake before handing the product over to you then they have the control.

Asked them for a refund. Now they're asking me to keep the order and they'll take 5% off the order or a future order. Told em to just give me my F%^& refund.

Back
Top Bottom