Can anybody school me on the NAVY?

Long story short I'm about to be 21 in August. 

-Took a year off from college

-Plan going back to the university that I left in the fall

-Stating to reconsider going back because I'm starting to realize it might be a waste of money that I dont have in the first place. I also feel like I'm going back for the wrong reasons.

I really just want to know everything basically. Like the jobs,benefits etc.

I went to bootcamp August 3rd of last year. I was suppoused to graduate September 30, but I acted like I had paranoia to get sent home. I came home on September 20 now i'm in chool and I love it. Just know what you're getting urself into.Military life is very controlling and not for strong minded ppl but to each its own.

Originally Posted by vell23

went to bootcamp August 3rd of last year was suppoused to graduate September 30 I acted like I had paranoia got sent home September 20 went to school now I love school..mply put know what you're getting urself into it's very life controlling and not for strong minded ppl but to each its own
please tell me you're typing on some type of mobile device or that english isn't your first language.

I went to bootcamp August 3rd of last year. I was suppoused to graduate September 30, but I acted like I had paranoia to get sent home. I came home on September 20 now i'm in chool and I love it. Just know what you're getting urself into.Military life is very controlling and not for strong minded ppl but to each its own.

lol you meant weak minded right? and did you start off going to school and decided to go to the service or vice versa?

Originally Posted by First Round Draft Pick

lol you meant weak minded right? and did you start off going to school and decided to go to the service or vice versa?

no sir strong minded people. unless you like people dictating your life to you I don't suggest it. That's the thing that turned me off from the military lifestyle. It's kinda like joining a gang if you ask me. They treat you like crap at bootcamp(getting jumped in), and show you love at graduation. After that you're in for a set number of years. You get little perks and crap like that, but you're life is also being dictated to you. Just think about what you want to do. Oh yeah I went straight out of highschool.

I'm going to Navy OCS later this year. I wish I could help you, but I've only done the application process myself. What makes you want to join the military and the Navy specifically?

no sir strong minded people. unless you like people dictating your life to you I don't suggest it. That's the thing that turned me off from the military lifestyle. It's kinda like joining a gang if you ask me. They treat you like crap at bootcamp(getting jumped in), and show you love at graduation. After that you're in for a set number of years. You get little perks and crap like that, but you're life is also being dictated to you. Just think about what you want to do. Oh yeah I went straight out of highschool.
my bad I read it wrong. I see why you said you love school that's why I asked did you go after you was in school or straight out of high school. I've experienced the whole college/university life. 

my bad I read it wrong. I see why you said you love school that's why I asked did you go after you was in school or straight out of high school. I've experienced the whole college/university life. 

Yes sir that's why I said to each it's own. By no means am I bashing military lifestyle, I'm just stating how I felt about the situation. Do it for the right reasons don't do it for money or because you know someone who did it.

Trust me.. If your doing it for the benefits/school, join the Air force.. If your doing it to fight or get combat experience, join the Army/Marines. The only reason you should join the Navy is if you love being on the ocean. The cons outweigh the pros to me. If I could go back, I'd easily pick Air Force or even Coast Guard over the Navy. I'm speaking on the Navy right now though since I don't know about the benefits of the over services, but I'm sure they're the same. Navy has tuition assistance %100 paid for while your in. So in theory, you can get a bachelors degree for free while your in, and still have your GI bill when you get out. Your degree should be your #1 focus right now. Cant tell you how many people want to get out, but cant since there experience in the navy doesn't carry them as much as a degree would. Also, if you get to boot camp and realize there that military life is very controlling, your an idiot. Boot camp is designed to make you feel suffocated and trapped. That's the worst part about it. Its not hard, its just being there is annoying. Please know what your getting yourself into. Also know that your recruiter will tell you what you WANT to hear, not what you need to hear. Just keep that in mind. In closing, join the Air Force.

Yes sir that's why I said to each it's own. By no means am I bashing military lifestyle, I'm just stating how I felt about the situation. Do it for the right reasons don't do it for money or because you know someone who did it.
Its a good thing you didn't go Combat Arms.

Originally Posted by Any Given Sunday89

Trust me.. If your doing it for the benefits/school, join the Air force.. If your doing it to fight or get combat experience, join the Army/Marines. The only reason you should join the Navy is if you love being on the ocean. The cons outweigh the pros to me. If I could go back, I'd easily pick Air Force or even Coast Guard over the Navy. I'm speaking on the Navy right now though since I don't know about the benefits of the over services, but I'm sure they're the same. Navy has tuition assistance %100 paid for while your in. So in theory, you can get a bachelors degree for free while your in, and still have your GI bill when you get out. Your degree should be your #1 focus right now. Cant tell you how many people want to get out, but cant since there experience in the navy doesn't carry them as much as a degree would. Also, if you get to boot camp and realize there that military life is very controlling, your an idiot. Boot camp is designed to make you feel suffocated and trapped. That's the worst part about it. Its not hard, its just being there is annoying. Please know what your getting yourself into. Also know that your recruiter will tell you what you WANT to hear, not what you need to hear. Just keep that in mind. In closing, join the Air Force.
are you currently in the Navy?

always thought about the navy
smokin.gif

Meh....I wouldn't do it. If you need stability in your life then yea, that's a decent route. But If you feel like you're going to get rich and live out your wildest dreams.......good luck. With anything it's what you make it though.

Navy 8 years And I wish I would've went to college and got my degree prior to getting in. Officers have it great, yea there held to a higher standard than enlisted folks but the money they get verses doesn't compare. I'm not sure how close you are to having your BA degree but if I was to get another go at it I would get my BA first, then enlist. It really depends what way your trying to build your future, i am dental side navy and I can't complain. The amount of hands on experience you get is ridiculous. Its not all sailing seas unless you pic a Job that puts you there. If your lucky enough to even be able to get in these days I would strongly suggest you figure out the route you want to take and then consider which branch suites your path the best. Don't worry about boot camp, +%!% is a joke, nothing but a game which u will soon find out when your done. The 100%tuition isn't always a sure thing because what ever command (work group) your assigned to has to sign off and approve you to go to school. In other words it's not always givin to you how it's supposed to be. However, if you do decide to do the damn thing and sign your name on the line make sure your getting the job you want. They may tell you things that may not be what you want and provide a lil bonus or whatever but realize that once you select something it's a he'll of a lot of crap to get into something else if you don't like what u selected. Good luck with whatever path you choose to take. Cell entry any typos my apologies

how do you like it? would you recommend going in as an officer?

Everyday and twice on Sunday. Being an Officer, is almost like a regular job. Your not gonna need to always check in with people like we do. Depending on your job, you'll most likely work a 8-4 mon-fri plus a duty day, but don't quote me(this of course is if your not at sea). Just what I've seen. You get treated with respect everywhere you go. Pay is awesome. Responsibility is a lot. I have yet to met an Officer who doesn't like it. If you plan to stay in, get ready to play the politics game hard. I personally cant wait to get out. Don't hate it, nor love it. Just ready to move on.
The 100%tuition isn't always a sure thing because what ever command (work group) your assigned to has to sign off and approve you to go to school. In other words it's not always givin to you how it's supposed to be.

I've never seen anyone denied TA. Thats basically the command saying they don't want you to go to school, which they wont do.

Come to Hawaii you will see some TA chits disapproved. But yea officers do live the cake life.
If you can run miles n miles ...u can be a officer and u would love it. I'm also ready to move on with the mili
Politics like crazy has ruined my thurst. Do your research op!!

success in the navy depends on you and your willingness to adapt. first thing you'll have understand is that you're no longer living the civilian life and you're now bound by new rules and held to a higher standard. Sitting back and dwelling on all the "luxuries" you had as a civilian will only eat you alive and send you down the wrong path.

Here's my checklist for success in the navy starting with recruiting.

-STUDY FOR YOUR ASVAB, HIGHER SCORE MEANS MORE RATES/JOBS OFFERED TO YOU.
-MAKE SURE YOU GET A RATE/JOB. DONT FALL FOR THE UNDESIGNATED SN/FN/AN TRAP. IT, LS, AND PERSONNEL RATES HAVE THE BEST BILLETS. OTHER RATES WILL LIMIT WHERE YOU CAN BE STATIONED. FIND OUT WHAT YOU CAN DO TO GET IN AT A RANK HIGHER THAN E1
-bootcamp is a joke, play the game. dont take anything personal, they're just trying to groom you for "military life." forget about trying to "keep it real."
- A or C school. you'll love the freedom compared to what you've just experiened in bootcamp. enjoy it but stay focused on your goal ie. to learn your rate and keep it moving. you'll learn about MAST and how to avoid it, LISTEN AND TAKE THE ADVICE SERIOUSLY. MAST CAN RUIN YOUR CAREER AND CHANCES FOR ADVANCEMENT. YOU WILL REGRET IT.
-out in the fleet. this is where the real navy starts. its a different beast from bootcamp. no one will be yelling in your face telling you to drop and do push ups but you still will be tested in a different form. there will be so much crap that you dont agree with but dont think you're the almighty for pointing this out and try not to lose sleep over it. jus do what you're told. if you have a suggestion or an idea, bring it up to your superiors and they'll either embrace it or tell you to shut up and go back to work. either way, get on with your day. choose your friends wisely. they will have a hugh effect on how well you do in the navy. Scenario; you and friend A go out to the club. you're going in on female X while friend A who's out of your sight pops off with stranger B over issue not so serious. story makes it back to your command because someone got hurt or property damaged. yea, you guessed it right, you're both F'd and there goes your evaluation and again, chances for advancement. get all the qualifications you can. you'll know the ones you need. there are people in your chain of command who will look out for you without a doubt so take their advice. after a few months at your first command, you'll see the roads clearly ahead of you and you'll have to choose your path to success or failure. if you dont NEED a car, dont get one. if you really think you NEED a car, get one thats cheap and reliable. stack your paper and once you get your money right you can go half down and half financed or even better. you'll probably be moving every few years so dont hoard and try to stay away from trendy clothes/kicks. if you're offered the chance to be stationed overseas, take it. the stateside naval experience is wack, seriously its wack and you get paid way more overseas. no matter what you've been told by someone who didnt make it in the navy, you do infact control your destiny while youre in.

Back
Top Bottom