Can We Do It?? Our Own Lil Music Discussion Thread...

The Mazda line was from How We Roll. Takes me back to freshman year at Morgan. I remember rewinding that song all the time on a DJ Clue mixtape I had. I staaaaaaaayed reciting that damn song. I still do sometimes. lol

I'M THE ILLEST LYRICIST IN AMERICA!!! EMCEES CAN'T SEE ME CUZ I'M TOO QUICK FOR THE HUMAN RETINA TO REGISTER!!!!

Ah yes. Those were the days.

*goes to find old pic of her and Canibus* lol
At night at dream that when I wake up, the males in the area will no longer be dressed like deflated packs of Skittles.

^Shut up, backpacker!

You, your berkinstocks, and your efin' chewstick! I want to hear some IGNORANCE!

*Diddy-bops out to "Drink and my Two step"*

Sike. I hate all that BS. Even the "Old School" rap sucks. Hell, who in the world even cares about a new Q-Tip record? Sounds good, but will probably sound dated at best. These guys want to play off of our "need to return to the real" when in fact, they should've been sticking to the "real" the entire time. Kanye Made it cool to be different again, yet spawning an entire generation of sheep followers. The music lost its idenity and diversity LONG AGO. The streets no longer dictate what's cool anymore, we're told what's cool by marketing groups targeting their demographics. Corporate level we have the Steve Stoutes, Ground level we have people like (insert local marketing group, etc). Most of these local wanna be marketers would be scared to do legit market research, so they create the false need to the sheep.

The business of Hip-Hop isn't the bad part, it's the the people in the business that's not always genuine.

I could go on forever, but ain't enough time for the lessons

Team DC/MD/VA​

MD/DC/VA Forum's Ironhand Enforcer..
O.G. Member #7 Da God Number

Hip Hop died when it became a "business"...
DestinationKicks: real great idea tommie, real great stereotee : you never f'n know these days stereotee : remember the alamo
"There is a fanbase that wants to hear good music, but there is a media that promotes foolishness." -Rhymefest

Thanks to Mr. Boney Starks for the info on this nonsense that has erupted on the internet..

About Lupe Fiasco and his initial response about his mistake at the VH1 HIP HOP HONORS.

For those out of the loop, here is what Lupe said, which sounds like something that would come out the mouths of a few local artists in "DMV" for real, not a dude signed to a major label and was "discovered" by Jay-Z:

Lupe Fiasco:
Quote:
"So I've explained this to a lot of people...let me name drop a few:

#1 Fab 5 Freddy
#2 Q-TIP!!!!...THAT'S RIGHT THE LEADER OF THE GROUP HIMSELF!!!
#3 Common
#4 Questlove

and more....ahem....

"I DID NOT GROW UP ON ATCQ!!!..."

THE LITTLE GHETTO KID FROM THE MEAN STREETS OF THE WESTSIDE OF CHICAGO GREW UP ON SPICE 1, 8-BALL & MJG, NWA AND SNOOP DOGG...

I WASNT A BACKPACKER RAP ENTHUSIAST!!!...I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE...I GREW UP ON GANGSTA RAP!!!

HAVE I LISTENED TO MM IN ITS ENTIRETY?...NO!!!...(Sorry Quest)...

GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES AND YOUR SACRED COWS...SOME OF YA'LL MAKE ME SICK...

AND FYI WHEN IT WAS INITIALLY OFFERED TO ME I TURNED IT DOWN BECAUSE I FELT IT WAS OUT OF PLACE FOR ME TO BE HONORING THEM BECAUSE WHILE I WAS FULLY AWARE OF THEIR IMPACT IN HIP-HOP I WASNT REALLY AWARE OF THEIR MUSIC LIKE THAT...BUT GUESS WHO WANTED ME TO BE APART OF IT....HMMMM...HOW ABOUT...Q-TIP!!!...

SO NOW ARE YOU GOING TO HATE ON "ATCQ" BECAUSE THEY WANTED SOMEBODY WHO DIDNT REALLY KNOW THERE MUSIC TO HONOR THEM BY COVERING SOME OF THEIR MUSIC?...THINK ON THAT OKP'S

P.S. I FORGET THE WORDS TO SOME OF MY OWN SONGS ON STAGE...HEY IT HAPPENS...

THE COOL DEC. 18TH..."

Phonte' from Lil' Brother's response:
Quote:
You @#%$ up, my nig. Straight up and down.

What's even more amazing is the same cats on this site defending your arrogance and ignorance on this topic are the same ones who would be ready to FLIP if the statements you made about MM were said by a Webbie, Plies, or Soulja Boy.

I purposely remained silent during Fiascogate just to see how it all would play out and to see how my man would gain control of the situation, but with you forgetting the lyrics to a classic song from a classic group on national television while paying tribute to them, the 2nd plane has officially hit the tower.

You're my homeboy and a colleague that I hold in high regard. I'm a fan of your work. Even moreso, we've chopped it up on numerous occasions so you know that everything I say is coming from a place of respect and concern:

>"I DID NOT GROW UP ON ATCQ!!!..."

>THE LITTLE GHETTO KID FROM THE MEAN STREETS OF THE WESTSIDE OF
>CHICAGO GREW UP ON SPICE 1, 8-BALL & MJG, NWA AND SNOOP
>DOGG...

That's fine, but your music and more importantly your image leans more towards Native Tongues than killaman-killaman-saykillamankillaman-wit me glock. If it walks and talks like a duck, most people would call it one. You can't blame OKP's or anybody else for putting you inside a box that you were willing to sit comfortably in and benefit from (see: Diamonds, American Terrorist, Daydreaming, I Gotcha).

>I WASNT A BACKPACKER RAP ENTHUSIAST!!!...I NEVER CLAIMED TO
>BE...I GREW UP ON GANGSTA RAP!!!

I have several problems with the term 'backpacker rap,' but okay. However, if you truly grew up on gangsta @#%$ and it was a big influence on you, you should do more Pop Pop's and less Dumb It Down's to help your listeners understand that.

>HAVE I LISTENED TO MM IN ITS ENTIRETY?...NO!!!...(Sorry
>Quest)...

This statement is nothing but pure arrogance. I wonder how your friend Q-Tip would feel about you 'having no interest' in hearing what many consider to be his landmark album....especially after you forgot his lyrics during a tribute and your only defense is, "hey, @#%$ happens......but I still ain't listening to the album tho..."

>GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES AND YOUR SACRED COWS...SOME OF YA'LL
>MAKE ME SICK...

I'm an artist so I understand how we all go through our times of arrogance and flat out niggotry, but seriously, now is not the time for this. You had a @#%$ up and there's really no one to blame but yourself.

>AND FYI WHEN IT WAS INITIALLY OFFERED TO ME I TURNED IT DOWN
>BECAUSE I FELT IT WAS OUT OF PLACE FOR ME TO BE HONORING THEM
>BECAUSE WHILE I WAS FULLY AWARE OF THEIR IMPACT IN HIP-HOP I
>WASNT REALLY AWARE OF THEIR MUSIC LIKE THAT...BUT GUESS WHO
>WANTED ME TO BE APART OF IT....HMMMM...HOW
>ABOUT...Q-TIP!!!...
>
>SO NOW ARE YOU GOING TO HATE ON "ATCQ" BECAUSE THEY WANTED
>SOMEBODY WHO DIDNT REALLY KNOW THERE MUSIC TO HONOR THEM BY
>COVERING SOME OF THEIR MUSIC?...THINK ON THAT OKP'S

Tip was covering his @#%$.

More than anything, it seems to me that Tip knew you were one of the only available celebrities that would translate to VH1's audience and do his legacy justice.

Kanye is in the stratosphere right now. The LB's, Tanya's, Kidz, and Strange Fruit's of the world are nobodies on a mainstream level. You and Pharrell are the only celebrities who are (seemingly?) cut from Tribe's cloth and would make sense in the context of the show.

>P.S. I FORGET THE WORDS TO SOME OF MY OWN SONGS ON STAGE...HEY
>IT HAPPENS...

Normally cats would be forgiving of a slip up, but when that slip-up was preceded by several months of bragging about how 'I've never heard the album and really don't care to,' well......you do the math.

Just some words of concern, fam.

Best of luck with "The Cool" and I hope the remix comes out dope.

Your Homie, Peer, and Fan,
Tigallo

But lately im making the connection between you so called peaceful, spritual, africa loving, ankh sporting, higher level mug @#%$ ers and flat out lunacy. (c)Young H

LET'S DISCUSS!!!!
Dream Team of MD/DC/VA - TRUTH hurts, doesn't it?
'TeePeso,' 'Ryan8478,' DCShoeDon,' 'JaywhYeNeX,' 'Importking,' 'DCshoechick,' 'Scott Scotch,' 'rudolph1996,' '7hillz'​

And to kick things off...

I would be the first to admit, I was on my HAMMER TIME hard when Tribe's first album dropped (you know, since people act like they weren't down either, although dude sold how many records???)...

When "Theory" dropped, I was on my Teddy Riley "Pump it Hottie" @#%$, winning dance contests all over D.C.

When "Midnight" dropped, I was a fan... But was listening to Snoop and Dre way more.

However, I'm not ignorant enough to not know the impact of ATCQ'slegendary
'TeePeso,' 'Ryan8478,' DCShoeDon,' 'JaywhYeNeX,' 'Importking,' 'DCshoechick,' 'Scott Scotch,' 'rudolph1996,' '7hillz'​

Quote:
Hell, I wasn't even born when Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" released
:lol:
laugh.gif
THAT WAS A PIMP SCHOOL MAN!

^
I was 3.

or 4.

I remember being sent to my room when it starting playing at night...

hmmmmmmm...

torn about this...imma young cat but was blessed with a older brother with a wide range of music.Everything from Kenny G to Crucial Conflict to every Rakim album made.

Foreal foreal, music wasnt as segregated as it is today. Back then you could have ATCQ and Daz in the same playlist and everything is cool. Bring some conscious/backpack music into a group full of ignorant/gangsta ninjas and its like kryptonite. :lol:
laugh.gif
Quote:
Hell, I wasn't even born when Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" released, but best believe its part of my CD collection.

Team DC/MD/VA
"EQAUL OPPORTUNITY RACIST"
O.G. Member DreadHeadTHE MANGO JUICE KEEPS DRIPPIN

I haven't watched the shoe just yet, so I haven't seen how bad he did on the mess up.

Based on what I have read, I am trying to figure out why he is being villified for messing it up. Why do I need an apology? He didn't mess my song up. lol

Quote:
I remember being sent to my room when it starting playing at night...
DestinationKicks: real great idea tommie, real great stereotee : you never f'n know these days stereotee : remember the alamo
"There is a fanbase that wants to hear good music, but there is a media that promotes foolishness." -Rhymefest

Separate post, because I have thought about this a little more.

The one thing I would question Lupe on his is professionalism. I wonder if he put in the work to actually learn the song at all. And if you didn't care, then why say yes. Regardless of who is asking.

What would have been ill is if they had someone who appears to be the opposite of ATCQ, but was a fan to do the song.

Good point Shuman, about the mixed playlist. If I recall correctly, it wasn't until the blinging part of the Bad Boy era that radio started really formatting their playlists. Around that time you could hear Anita Baker, ATCQ, Barry White and Snoop right after each other on PGC, 92Q and KYS.

Quote:
Bring some conscious/backpack music into a group full of ignorant/gangsta ninjas and its like kryptonite.

Real rap I have class in about 8 minutes but I'm going to put this 78 WPM thing to use.

Lupe @#%$ up. Plain and simple. Though I feel like a lot of the flack that he is catching is strictly from hip hop purists, it is well deserved. My first issue with it is that he uses the crutch that he didn't listen to the album and didn't plan on doing so...my son if it wasn't for cats like QTip, Phife, and Ali (even Jarobi..although I say De La Soul were the originators) he wouldn't be anything, and the fact that he @#%$ up trying to pay tribute to someone is an even bigger slap in the face. Like I was telling EOH, If I'm giving a tribute to someone, I'm goin' to make sure that its correct in every way possible. There is no reason why he shoulda messed up, granted its a bar, but for him to then follow up with the sissy statement that he came with is laughable.

I gotta go to class now..but umm...I'll be back once I've brewed on this a little more, [Whodini] In the mean time the in between time..[/Whodini]
335632155_5afc8e4e1a_o.jpg
:nerd:
nerd.gif

My-T.
LISTEN TO THE KIRKOUT HOUR LIVE!
THURSDAYS 5-7PM EST
WWW.XTSR.ORG
WWW.SMOKINGSECTION.NET
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/BONEYSTARKS

*starts American Gangster*

Thoughts anyone??
At night at dream that when I wake up, the males in the area will no longer be dressed like deflated packs of Skittles.

"I'm getting it"

Didn't like "Blue Magic" originally, but didn't get the intention and feeling of it. Now that I understand, I'm loving it.

As for the video, I'm loving the euros in place of the dead presidents.

Quote:
^What about it?

Should he have called it Mexican Gangster??!!!

What do you mean what about it?!!!! What do you think of the album??!!! lol American Dream is the @#%$.

I got booo you on the Black Album thing. This album is better than that piece of crap Kingdome Come, that's for sure. But no way would I say it's better than the Black Album. Too much greatness on songs that make you feel all fuzzy inside on the Black Album.

Kingdom Come is going to be be seen in better light a few years down the road.

Not comparing the two, but in a way that Reasonable Doubt was.

Back
Top Bottom