Can We Do It?? Our Own Lil Music Discussion Thread...

I agree with you Dan, AG is better than The Black Album only thing stopping me from sayin' it's classic is Hello Brooklyn otherwise this album is amazing, can't wait to see him live in NY next sunday

I mean I know everyone is entitled to their opinions and all but I think you guys are crazy. I mean AG is dope, especially for these days in hip hop...but I dont think its near a classic. And I liked black album better. Pete rocks version of the black album is pure dopeness.

Anyone up on Oddisee, Kev Brown, Kenn Starr, Damu or any other DC MC/Producers like that?

I personally was offended when watching Lupe 'phukkup' that verse... my mouth dropped and my girl had not idea what I was upset about... It made me sick...

LOL, I thought you were referring to the movie? I haven't been in the loop music-wise. I ahven't been to my regular sites, etc. I haven' heard AG yet, but from Blue Magic and the other single, I'm not impressed yet.

Actually, that's not saying much as most fo the new music hasn't been impressive overall in the last 2 years.

Team DC/MD/VA​

MD/DC/VA Forum's Ironhand Enforcer..
O.G. Member #7 Da God Number

Quote:
Actually, that's not saying much as most fo the new music hasn't been impressive overall in the last 2 years.
:wink:
wink.gif
THAT WAS A PIMP SCHOOL MAN!

I'm a 80s baby.

Thus, most of the music I initially started to appreciate is from the 70s, via my parents, grandparents, uncles, etc.

With that being said, I agree with "AllanHouston20" 500% -- The "American Gangster" soundtrack is something S-E-R-I-O-U-S.

It's knocked Jill Scott off of my daily rotation (sorry guys, I don't download or listen to albums early).

Track 7 -- Crack in a pipe.

Dream Team of MD/DC/VA - We are RESPECTED for a reason...
'TeePeso,' 'Destination Kicks,' DCShoeDon,' 'JaywhYeNeX,' 'Importking,' 'DCshoechick,' 'Scott Scotch,' 'rudolph1996,' '7hillz,' 'MyTSharp'​

Downloading/listening to albums early saves you from wasting money on crap.
At night at dream that when I wake up, the males in the area will no longer be dressed like deflated packs of Skittles.

HHHEEEELLLLOOOOOOO BRRROOOKKKLLYYYYNNNNNNN!!!

Anyone up on Oddisee, Kev Brown, Kenn Starr, Damu or any other DC MC/Producers like that?
Oddisee is a monster!!!
pimp.gif
Asheru also...music right there isill.

any Stones Throw fans in here?

The soundtrack to the movie was ok. It could've been better sequenced, but that Anthony Hamilton song is a certified banger.

Other than that, most muisc these days is complete uninspired garbage. And I'm not too big on the backpack rap as most of them wannabe ecentric, left fieldN's try too hard to be different when half their stuff is whinning cap anyways.

I think a thread is needed on what makes a record or a recording project good. There are rules to it. It usually rests on a competent A&R.

That thread coming soon.

Originally Posted by shuman15

HHHEEEELLLLOOOOOOO BRRROOOKKKLLYYYYNNNNNNN!!!

Oddisee is a monster!!!
pimp.gif
Asheru also...music right there is ill.

any Stones Throw fans in here?

yessssssssir, Im a huge dilla fan.

Originally Posted by DC ShoeDon

Other than that, most muisc these days is complete uninspired garbage. And I'm not too big on the backpack rap as most of them wannabe ecentric, left field N's try too hard to be different when half their stuff is whinning cap anyways.

ahhhhhh hush up. what do you know old man!
laugh.gif

extraDC - thas whassup! dont know to many Stones Throw fans out here. I just wish Guilty Simp. and Dilla did more projects before his passing.

you going to the B-Ball Zombie War tour by PBWolf @ Black Cat? speaking of Black Cat LB should be there soon? Ghostface @ Sonar ect. ect.

^Well, since you must ask, considering I didn't specifically call out anyone was, that people sometimes are sooo pressed to listen to something leftfield,whether it's good or not, just to say, "You're not up on this..." To make themselves feel better. Is that somebody you?

I listen to all music, however I find that some of those "backpackers" want the same things that everyone else want. To be relevent and to havematerial wealth. Believe me, they ain't just doing it to to enlighten you. And besides, beatwise and album cohesiveness, some of their topics and the likesare just as repetitious as the "ringtone" rap.

But, I gotta remember who I'm talking to.

Carry on.

^^^ i agree that damn near everyone is obsessed with having the "new new"...but i dont think material wealth is on the radar of a lot of artist butbeing heard and considered relevant is something else

^No one, I REAPEAT, NO ONE makes or wants to be in the music industry and NOT be paid.

Everyone wants to make that cash, believe that.

^^^^
WWHHHOOOOAAAAA!!!

Is that somebody you?

laugh.gif
ease up old man. i didnt really wanna know hence the
laugh.gif

and quite frankly music does make me feel good!!! its an amazing thing...

we all know you know everything about music O.
wink.gif
I damn sure dont, justwhat I like...

I definately dont agree with...
To be relevent and to have material wealth. Believe me, they ain't just doing it to to enlighten you.
relevant as far as what they feel is relevant.
there are many ARTIST out there content with what is posed to be medicore (anyone who isnt mainstream) in the music business. not everyone is looking for thatfame and money tree most are set out for...a plant or two sure, who wouldnt...
but to each is own.

and who are you talking to exactly?
grin.gif

Most backpack(underground rappers) are too extreme and most commercial(ringtones bammas) are just as extreme. Most rappers today seem like they are trying tohear to be underground, radio friendly or gangster. Only a few people manage to find a happy middleground like Common, Nas and Jay-Z where they can captureany audieuce due to there lyrical ability and address any subject they want without sounding forced.

I agree with O on the being paid part. People definitely want to get paid for their hard work. I do however think that many of them (backpackers) would ratherget paid on lyrical ability than formatting themselves to fit into the major corporation structure of 'what's hot.' The problem is they put in morework that the national acts but receive what appears to be far less financial gain than those national acts. But how many of those national acts are reallyeating like they say they are? The list is short. Balling today probably will not sustain itself over the span of their lifetimes. And the ones that are livinglike they say they are all have other streams of generating revenue to make up for what selling records isn't providing. In the XXL with Kanye on thecover, Common said he got into acting because he knew he needed something else to sustain his income when his rap career was over. Why? Because what heactually makes from it wouldn't last.

Some people would suggest going independent because you make more money. But being independent means you work 10X harder because you are now responsible foreverything. And your budget and reach for collaborators can be limited to the people you know.

There are numerous artists that are dealing with the major vs. independent issue, but from what I have heard Little Brother do the best job of expressing whateach of them mean.

Speaking of which, just got my hands on the 'Get Back' album. Tried the week of, but it was sold out at both of the Best Buys I went to (Also alimitation of being independent- Harder to get people to really stock your!@%!.). I was wondering why I hadn't seen any advertisements for it. The answer-they are back to ABB.

Anyway, I've only gotten through it once in its entirety. First impression is "I'm Loving It."

Well, as one would have it, Relevency is in the ee o the beholder. Independent doesn't necessarily mean it's harder to get pushed. Independent is arelative term used to describe ANY artist on a major. Most artists out there are "Independent". A major would be NOW Island Def Jan, Sony/Columbia,Universal and WEA recording group. Everything else is just a Big Indie or Plain Indie.

REgardless of "feeling" good, music is ALSO a BUSINESS. Record companies are investing in your art and are loking for a return. The average newcontract gives you .36 cents per record that's manu'd for around 3-4 dollars, wholesaled for 6. Subtract marketing budgets, A&R direction,Producers cuts and Admin fees and there's nothing left. Going gold used to have people breaking even.

But I digress. YOu don't want to know ALL that, most of you all just pontificate nothingness.

BUT, I will say this: The Music industry isn't the cash cow it used to be. Most artists now albums suck more than that high school harlot you know. Icopped that Talib Kweli joint just recently and even the somewhat cohesiveness of his album still had me saying "eh".

I really do miss the Golden Age of HIp hop when there weren't any stupid catagories. You just rode your lane. Musi was pure. Now, people just trying to besomething they're not.

Sort of mirrors real life these days, eh?

Wow, just checking in. Hope I haven't missed any good discussions. I skimmed the thread:

Blue Magic - meh..
Hip Hop - still boring and uninspired
something about fiascogate and the hip hop awards
Hip Hop - still boring and uninspired
MD urrea producers - fire

Hope to add to the discussion here, I've paid my dues in the main Music Forum so I think I can do some good here...

Back
Top Bottom