Can you get by in Hong Kong without knowing Chinese?

the hot women in hong kong most likely wont give u the time or day unless ur pocket is filled with stacks. u can look like william hung but drive a gallardoand come home to a model. like i said if u dont have a lot of money, ull most likely wont enjoy living there.

Originally Posted by anticop23

transportation is relative expensive (compare to local standards), pretty cheap compare to other countries. it can get you everywhere. on average on MTR, two to three stations will cost you like $ 6-10 HKD (compare this to food in HK, a bowl of noodle is like $ 10-20).

the only expensive part in HK is transportation/ living, food is damn cheap. i also use the Mcdonld standard: ice cream cones in HK are $ 2.50 HKD (use to be $ 2), compare to Canada, where i live is $ 1.50 CDN = $ 9 HKD.

but if you only know english, stick with the MTR for transportation. if u run into problems in MTR, ask the MTR station workers, they are super courteous and helpful. and yes you might get lost in the MTR, due to many lines (like 5-10 lines) and transferring to a different line in the transfer stations can be difficult.
MTR is the best transportation system I've ever used. It's so convenient and I really didn't find it that expensive at all. Hong Konghas this thing called the Octopus card where you deposit money onto it and you can use it to swipe for the trains or to use at like 7-Eleven's and stuff.You want a difficult and confusing transportation system? Try Japan's JR
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

I don't like Euro Trash Broads. I want the Asian chicks like the ones I see in the Hot Asian Women thread
devil.gif
devil.gif
And are there a lot of White/Asian mixes there since Britain did colonize them for all those years?
lets hope so
laugh.gif
devil.gif

I want to go to HK baaaaad. Sick place
pimp.gif
some ballers out there foreal.

HK is probably one of the safest places in the world. I've lived here pretty much my whole life and I don't speak a word of Chinese (Cantonese orMandarin - Canto is the local language). Taxi drivers usually speak enough English to know where you want to head to and the MTR (our subway) is real easy tounderstand. Everything's in English. If you can use the Subway in New York, you can definitely use the MTR.

If you want local girls, I suggest heading to Causeway Bay to a few clubs there. They are more local (less expatriates). Girls shoudl be pretty easy to bag butyou gotta put in a little effort (a couple of days of hanging out). Lan Kwai Fong is a little more upmarket. They have a lot of expatriates there as well as alot of locals. Drinks are pricier here but the atmosphere is more fun IMO. Are you more into clubbing or bar hopping?

Originally Posted by tjuice77

HK is probably one of the safest places in the world. I've lived here pretty much my whole life and I don't speak a word of Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin - Canto is the local language). Taxi drivers usually speak enough English to know where you want to head to and the MTR (our subway) is real easy to understand. Everything's in English. If you can use the Subway in New York, you can definitely use the MTR.

If you want local girls, I suggest heading to Causeway Bay to a few clubs there. They are more local (less expatriates). Girls shoudl be pretty easy to bag but you gotta put in a little effort (a couple of days of hanging out). Lan Kwai Fong is a little more upmarket. They have a lot of expatriates there as well as a lot of locals. Drinks are pricier here but the atmosphere is more fun IMO. Are you more into clubbing or bar hopping?
How'd you end up in HK if you don't mind me asking? Parents moved there for work?

Originally Posted by DL2352

HK is probably one of the safest places in the world. I've lived here pretty much my whole life and I don't speak a word of Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin - Canto is the local language). Taxi drivers usually speak enough English to know where you want to head to and the MTR (our subway) is real easy to understand. Everything's in English. If you can use the Subway in New York, you can definitely use the MTR.

If you want local girls, I suggest heading to Causeway Bay to a few clubs there. They are more local (less expatriates). Girls shoudl be pretty easy to bag but you gotta put in a little effort (a couple of days of hanging out). Lan Kwai Fong is a little more upmarket. They have a lot of expatriates there as well as a lot of locals. Drinks are pricier here but the atmosphere is more fun IMO. Are you more into clubbing or bar hopping?
How'd you end up in HK if you don't mind me asking? Parents moved there for work?
Yeah parents moved here for work and after I finished college I moved back for work since the job market is a @#$# in NY.

To answer the question on why someone would want to come here - It's like New York, but smaller, and with more Chinese people. Haha. Also, Singapore isWACK. It's like going to Boston when you can go to New York. It makes no sense.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

why would you choose hk?
1. it looks cool
2. I want to live in a different country for a few years
3. I like Asian chicks

Move to Japan. Japan>HK
English isn't as mainstream over there, and it's more expensive isn't it?? And Japanese people just seem so weird to me, (no offenseto anyone).

man have yall fellow hong kongers been to clear water bay, stanley beach and repulse bay? *@!# is beautiful there.... almost kind of like hawaii.

Yeah parents moved here for work and after I finished college I moved back for work since the job market is a @#$# in NY.

To answer the question on why someone would want to come here - It's like New York, but smaller, and with more Chinese people. Haha. Also, Singapore is WACK. It's like going to Boston when you can go to New York. It makes no sense.
what's your occupation
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
and are you Caucasian?

hong kong > new york. new york city has absolutely no sense of nature whatsoever. its so industrialized where as in hong kong u got all these nice beachesand nature parks. i miss HK so much... i plan to move there once i graduate.

also the food in hong kong > anywhere else. u can have all kinds of cultural cuisines in hong kong, but nothin beats authentic chinese food. this place isdope too

spaceball.gif
spaceball.gif
img_4819.JPG

why would you choose hk?
1. it looks cool
3. I like Asian chicks

Move to Japan. Japan>HK
Japan is like 4x the cost of living in HK also. Even though English is taught in school of Japan, it isn't as widely used as it is in HK. Vacationing wish I would much rather go to Japan, but if I were given a choice to live factoring language barriers and cost HK is the way to go

why would you choose hk?
1. it looks cool
3. I like Asian chicks

Move to Japan. Japan>HK
Debatable.

1. Japan is a country. Hong Kong is a city. Of course when most people think of Japan, they think of Tokyo. Is Tokyo > HK? Depends on the person.
2. Japan, for the most part and especially the major cities like Tokyo, is an extremely expensive place to live.
3. Food quality is comparable. You can find excellent Japanese food in Hong Kong but I doubt you can find excellent Cantonese/Chinese food in Japan.
4. Shopping? About equal in my opinion. HK is such a fashion forward country that even if a particular brand isn't sold there officially, you'll stillbe able to find it through importers and what not. Same for Japan of course.
5. Girls? I think girls from HK are hotter. It seems like more Japanese girls have crazy looking grills.

To answer the question on why someone would want to come here - It's like New York, but smaller, and with more Chinese people. Haha. Also, Singapore is WACK. It's like going to Boston when you can go to New York. It makes no sense.
what's your occupation
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
and are you Caucasian?
I'm in business, we're traders/consultants. Is me being Caucasian going to influence your opinion of what I've said about HongKong?
grin.gif

I'm originally Indian for your information.

Ohh I see. I guess I'm kind of the opposite. Parents from HK, moved to California, and here I am
laugh.gif
. I would love to move to HK though, Ilove that damn city. HK really is like a Chinese version of NYC, except with better food, taxis, and a Disneyland
laugh.gif

what's your occupation
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
and are you Caucasian?
I'm in business, we're traders/consultants. Is me being Caucasian going to influence your opinion of what I've said about Hong Kong?
grin.gif

I'm originally Indian for your information.
sorry, if I offended you. Just wanted to see a "foreigners" point of view.

Thanks

Nah not offended, just didn't understand why you were asking. That's all. It's a very diverse place and chances are your friendship group willconsist of people from all over the world. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom