Car Heads: Car customizing question...

let me post

Banned
Sup ya'll, my boy got 22s for his 2003 Monte Carlo SS. We went to try and get them put on today, and they said it rubbed up against the fender well. Where's a good spot to take that car to have that well cut, or whatever needs to be done in order for those rims to be put on. I know it's possible, cuz if dudes in Cams post got 22s and 24s on MCs, it's def possible for my friend.

Thanks guys!

They got this one spot out in west Oakland where they will cut/lift the car to fit the rims. Their is also another spot on 106 and e.14 right next to the san leandro border.It is possible if a Buick can fit 4s then it can fit no problem.
THE JOKER GANG
EAST OAKLAND​

sorry, i can't help y'all out w/the cam nelson sized/styled rides cuz they ain't my/or any of my buds' steez.
just make sure whatever shop you go to doesn't just cut/bend/heat @#%$ up randomly, esp suspension parts like control arms, shock/strut housings, etc while trying to "make" the wheels fit your ride.

coupla acquaintances had some pretty bad experiences fitting 20's on their rides back in the day when 20's were like 24's+6's. one dude's front strut just shot thru the strut tower and punctured his hood cuz some hack shop just took a grinder to the strut cuz it wouldn't clear his wheels. the other dude had his front end drop on the 880 cuz both his control arms split like wishbones cuz that shop notched em to clear.

i know it's the look y'all dig and are after, but cars & even trucks ain't really made to have that big of a wheel/tire setup.

and i'm surprised as hell roberts is still in business. i have nothing bad to say about em, but they never seemed that busy. i ended up getting my first set of performance tires from em way back in the day tho cuz the "jdm" wheels my dude Danny (RIP) ordered thru his shop for my Integra came in a coupla months early and I didn't want to wait to have my tires shipped in cuz I just had to slap them babies on ASAP.
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"
Seize every opportunity to educate yourself.....STOP. Look. Listen.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Roberts Tires is a reliable place? Now I'm worried the car will get @#%$ up cuz of the stuff CLsmooth said :lol:
laugh.gif

lol...yeah, never been short on words. i ain't no mc but i got mad flow on the keys (comp that is) :lol:
laugh.gif

no joke, my writing is quickly going to chit as s i head deeper into geezer status, but it used to be my thing, esp essays. i used do some of my girls and ones for my buds just for the hell of it.

and i've always been big on cars as well......been slacking for a while cuz of other obligations, but i'm about to try and get back into it w/a new project....track car or semi-decent daily....nothing like these spoiled NTers w/m3s & Ranges....but it'll be clean like i always do em up. :wink:
wink.gif
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"

^Word, I feel ya, but it's not for me, it's for my boy. IMO, 22s arent that bad on MCs, they're def better than 24s and all the other crap that's put on cars.

Is it rubbing the inner fender well or the actual fender itself? Because if it's the inner fender well then it's an offset issue and that can usually be fixed using a spacer and longer wheel studs (If nessecary). If it hits your fender then you can buy like 5 mm by rolling the fender. If that isn't enough then chances are the wheels will never fit without heavy modification.

You have nay specific info on the wheels (And tire size) you plan on using?

i took my nash to roberts when i bought 20's for my nash years ago. i had very bad scrapping problems. what they did is they put 1/4 inch spacers all the way around and they melted back my fend well instead of cuttin it out. after that i had no problems turing and scraping. i only scrapped when i had a car load and i also have a box in the trunk. i got rid of all the scrapping by getting heavy duty springs installed. i never scraped again no matter how packed my car was, even on 280 in sf where it gets hella bouncy when u hit over 75mph. the only thing bout roberts is that they charge a grip, thats how they stay in bussiness. and if yur ridin 22's or bigger its gonna drive like @#%$, imo, but it does look fresh as hell!
Quote:
track car or semi-decent daily

what u thinking of buying?

Quote:
Is it rubbing the inner fender well or the actual fender itself

It's rubbing the inner fender well when the steering well.

Quote:
You have nay specific info on the wheels (And tire size) you plan on using?

245/30/22

Quote:
the only thing bout roberts is that they charge a grip

How much did they charge you homie?

dang, jc, i totally forgot you were the dude w/the GN.....why didn't you roll it out to the Summit?

and Robert's always has charged a grip. they must have built some sorta clientele over the years tho. even charging premo prices can't make up too much for small volume sales. their shop is clean and professional and easily accessible by the freeways+streets, so that prolly helps a lot.

but back to LMP's dilemma.......i haven't rolled by Robert's (into the shop anyways) since forever, but I would probably check other shops first. as mentioned, they ain't gonna be cheap, and even tho i advised you not to cheap out and go for quality work from the jump, i think other shops would be better equipped/experienced w/the type of work your boy's ride is gonna need. from what i recall, robert's isn't really a fabrication shop. they're more your standard wheel+tire mounting spot. look for some recs of shops in SSF/peninsula and i guess East Bay. no dis to the East Bay folks, but most of the shops i've seen out there aren't too professional-looking. they prolly do more of those kind of jobs/rides tho.
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.

^i didnt roll the nash to the summit cause i brought those big @#%$ tents, a grill, and two tables. no way that was going to fit in the nash.

^what happened? why didnt they do it? lmk. and i think they charged me like 100 for the spacers and melting back the wheel well molding

im pretty sure 100 but that was in 01 so i might be off a few bucks. that sucks they actin like @#%$. so they said there is no way to fit it at all?

^They just said that it's unsafe, and they won't do it. They also said they wouldnt recommend doing it because of the safety issues it causes. Now my boy is out 3k, because he can't even return them, because they were built specifically for his Monte. Hopefully he can sell them to anyone who has a car that'll be able to fit those: Montes, Impalas, CTS, DTS, Grand Prix's, etc etc...

sucks that roberts wouldn't do the work, but i can understand their position. those kinda set-ups/rides really are dangerous as hell. just one crash/law$uit, and it could cripple them. it's like bars/clubs. a bunch have closed down cuz of all the liability/lawsuits.

on a semi-related note, that's why a lot of shops like costco won't mount tires that aren't purchased through their shop, esp non-OEM fitments/sizes and , most esp, used tires.

looks like your boy will have to go to one of them downlow shops in the cuts or get a shop to turn their head the other way and do one of them $$$$/no receipt/work invoice deals. still, make sure that dude researches the shop and at least a lil about what he needs to get done, first, so he doesn't end up getting a hackjob/deathtrap in the end.

^^^theres another rim shop that opened on army street next to hollywood video. i think they might do stuff like that there. when i pass by there i get their name and number and pm it to you

Back
Top Bottom