Car Help: 2002 Toyota Camry Catalytic Converter……...

Might need to change it….I am going to toyota tomorrow for an estimate. Before I go, anybody knows how much this will cost me? What figures should I be aiming for? Chances are, toyota might do it to me with no vaseline 
sick.gif

Im in NY….anybody have recommendations outside of Toyota that has reasonable prices? Thanks in advance
nerd.gif

Yeah, check Ebay or Craigslist before going to the stealership! Matter of fact, go to swat meets and garage sales before going to them.

GO ANYWHERE BUT THEM!

Is your check engine light on? If so go to a Auto Zone and they will read the code for free and tell you what they problem is and how much the parts cost to fix it, from there you can go and see how much a mechanic charges to do it.

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

Is your check engine light on? If so go to a Auto Zone and they will read the code for free and tell you what they problem is and how much the parts cost to fix it, from there you can go and see how much a mechanic charges to do it.

No check engine light….it's actually my pops car. he said he got it replaced (After market Converter) and he said the mechanics that put it on (He works for Lincoln Tech) they forgot to put on some type of clamp. So, the car sounds like crap…..he's been driving it like that for a couple months now. Not sure if I need to replace the whole thing….or just the clamp…..either way…I'll know tomorrow. 

Originally Posted by RezzurrectMe

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

No check engine light….it's actually my pops car. he said he got it replaced (After market Converter) and he said the mechanics that put it on (He works for Lincoln Tech) they forgot to put on some type of clamp. So, the car sounds like crap…..he's been driving it like that for a couple months now. Not sure if I need to replace the whole thing….or just the clamp…..either way…I'll know tomorrow. 

If there's no CEL, then there's no reason to change out the whole thing. A clamp isn't going to cause weird noises... I suggest you get under there and just take a look for yourself, to me it sounds like a broken flex pipe.

You need an engine oil bypass kit so the inside of you motor doesn't get dirty. 

Also, go ahead and research your State's Emission Laws. If an Emission's part fails under your state's law, the dealership must replace the part for free!

For example, I know in Nevada, if my Honda's Catalytic Converter went out BEFORE 90,000 miles... Honda has to replace it for me because of I will fail the Emission Test.

^Thanks for the tip
But this whip has 204,000 miles on it. Its funny you mentioned the engine light.....because it came on 2 days ago. 

Back
Top Bottom