Career Sophmore Album Debate... Born Sinner vs It Was Written

Is J. Cole the long awaited baby Nas?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I also like IWW better than Illmatic, but related to the topic...yeah, this is foolish, comparing the two. The Message alone is better than anything on this album.

I'm in the small percentage, that prefers It was Written to Illmatic.

It was Written > J. Cole whole catalogue. and i'm a fan of J. Cole's music.
I agree.  Even though Cole is going to keep getting better album by album, he's not there yet.  He may truly become baby Nas by album 5.
Serious question, why do so many people believe Cole is going to get better? When we mostly see the opposite as far as hiphop artist are concerned. The past has shown us the artist typically evens out or degrade as their career progresses.

Also please don't flame this is a legit question.

Last edited:
IWW and its not even close. This album has stood the test of time and has got even more acclaim over the years. Hell the 2 songs that didn't even make the cd version, the Street Dreams Remix with R. Kelly and Silent Murder, are better then anything J. Cole has ever done.

At one point I liked it better than Illmatic, but the production on Illmatic stood the test of time better than Tone & Poke

It Was Written > Born Sinner

However, I will say that J. Cole put out a very good debut and put out a better sophomore album.  I cant say the same for Nas, as his sophomore album was not as good as his debut.  Obviously Illmatic is a classic, and hard to beat, but still.

Where do these comparisons even come from? We're really comparing the GOAT lyricist to the guy who made Work Out? Give me a ******g break

However, I will say that J. Cole put out a very good debut and put out a better sophomore album.  I cant say the same for Nas, as his sophomore album was not as good as his debut.  Obviously Illmatic is a classic, and hard to beat, but still.

What you said means absolutely nothing when you put everything in context.

I'm one of the many few who likes IWW over illmatic. One of the best well rounded albums of all time imo. I just noticed the clip at the end of Street Dreams is the news report on Black Girl Lost

Dont know why it means nothing to you.  The very first thing I wrote was IWW was superior to Born Sinner.  The point of the rest of what I wrote was simply to show that J. Cole is in fact improving.  Nas has been in a consistent decline since his debut (albeit a very gradual decline).  Cole is getting better.

We were speaking about what is a better sophomore album.  IWW clearly wins that.  All I was pointing out was that J. Cole actually made a better debut album than his first, and Nas did not.  Thats all.  Its not a knock on Nas.  Just an observation.  Cole will likely never be on Nas' level, but its nice to see his music is getting better not worse.

I'm one of the many few who likes IWW over illmatic. One of the best well rounded albums of all time imo. I just noticed the clip at the end of Street Dreams is the news report on Black Girl Lost
Black Girl Lost...one of my favorites yo
smokin.gif

Dont know why it means nothing to you.  The very first thing I wrote was IWW was superior to Born Sinner.  The point of the rest of what I wrote was simply to show that J. Cole is in fact improving.  Nas has been in a consistent decline since his debut (albeit a very gradual decline).  Cole is getting better.

We were speaking about what is a better sophomore album.  IWW clearly wins that.  All I was pointing out was that J. Cole actually made a better debut album than his first, and Nas did not.  Thats all.  Its not a knock on Nas.  Just an observation.  Cole will likely never be on Nas' level, but its nice to see his music is getting better not worse.
Nas made a "decline" from what is probably the greatest album in the history of the genre. So every time he dropped he was supposed to put out the new GOAT album? That makes no sense.

And the only thing that declined about Nas from Illmatic on was his production. Illmatic was a perfect storm of classic producers in their primes that will never be duplicated again. But lyrically I don't know how you can say he fell off at all.

^Agreed with everything you said. Nas made one of the great debut albums of all-time in the history of music. No matter what he does he will never top Illmatic. However the man has put out damn good albums throughout his career so to say he has "declined" when he is still one of the best lyricists alive is just silly.

why even compare the two? even J.Cole will say IWW is better. He don't wanna let Nas down.

IWW > J.Cole's catalogue

The marshall Mathers LP is not better than IWW. :lol:

I gave you power,shootouts, Take it blood, the message, street dreams, Live N rap >>> Anything on MMLP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom