Cavaliers Not Interested In Signing Varejao To One-Year Deal

www.realgm.com/src_wireta...year_deal/
Quote:
So much for Anderson Varejao's latest effort to end his contract holdout with the Cavs.

Cleveland has no intention of taking up the 6-foot-10 free agent forward on his offer to play for a one-year $5 million deal, according to a source.

"The team told the player's agent if the qualifying offer passed, they would not entertain a one-year deal," the source said Tuesday. "They were told at the time, if we can't get a deal done by the [time the qualifying offer expired], the team would not do a one-year deal."

And so it goes for the NBA's biggest soap opera outside of Kobe Bryant.

After months of haggling, Varejao and the Cavs appear no closer to resolving their impasse.

Varejao appeared to offer a glimmer of hope for a compromise late Monday when a source close to him told SI.com the free agent forward would agree to play on a one-year, $5 million deal. Considering that Varejao had reportedly been seeking a contract in the five-year, $60 million range, it seemed like a significant concession.

"Andy wants to play," the source said. "If that's what it takes to get it done, he'll do it."

But the Cavs apparently have no interest. By signing Varejao to a one-year deal now, he would have the right to walk away as an unrestricted free agent next summer and leave Cleveland with nothing to show for it. The Cavs were burned by Carlos Boozer a few years ago, and might be fearful of a repeat of that situation.

In addition, if the Cavs sign Varejao to a one-year deal, they would lose the ability to trade him this season.

In Cleveland's view, there is simply no reason to go the one-year route. The Cavs hold the leverage. Varejao could go to Europe, but he would still be a restricted free agent upon his return. If he sits out, the Cavs keep open the possibility of a sign-and-trade.

Thus the Cavs appear poised, at least for now, to stick to their offer of a multi-year deal only.

Cavs GM Danny Ferry has not commented on negotiations, other than to say the club had made "a fair and respectful" offer.

Varejao played a key role off the bench for the Cavs last season with his hustle and energy. Cleveland is 1-2 heading into Tuesday night's game in Golden State, and the team looked somewhat dispirited all preseason. It has made for a tense situation in Cleveland, which is trying to hang on in what looks to be a wide-open Eastern Conference race.

Given the stakes, it seems hard to believe the Cavs wouldn't at least consider taking Varejao up on his offer. Cleveland would get the immediate help it needs, without taking too big a hit on the luxury tax this season. Varejao would get enough to make him feel like he's being treated fairly.

As for the possibility of Varejao walking away next season and leaving Cleveland with nothing, the likelihood of that happening is open to debate. The Cavs would still hold his Bird Rights, meaning they would be able to go over the salary cap to re-sign him, or work a sign-and-trade. Next year's free agent market doesn't appear to be a good one for players, with few teams expected to have any significant salary cap room.

The Cavs, however, apparently are not willing to take that gamble.

At least not yet.
:rofl:
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Air Jordan
1984-1993
1995-1998
2001-2003
"The best there ever was, the best there ever will be."

We're not signing him and I'm glad. This might be the best thing Danny Ferry has done :lol:
laugh.gif
TEAM CLEVELAND CAVS
James,Pavlovic,Hughes,Gooden,IIgauskas,Varejao,Marshall ,Da.Jones,Pollard,Snow,Wesley,Newble,Gibson,Brown​

Good, Varejao pays for his @#%$ that he puts up.

Dude actin' like he's important and @#%$.
Zero Tolerance

im glad that bums not in the L
MIAMI HEAT​
MEMPHIS TIGERS​

Watch Varejao go to Boston or Detroit.
TeamClippers
GET WELL EB42/SL14​
AL THORNTON FOR ROY
SC TROJANS
MAYO-GIBSON-JEFFERSON

Sideshow Bob better make a decision soon...Cavs have all the leverage....Dude should have jsut signed w/ Memphis when he had the chance.....Or did he never really have a chance to do so???? Im still not clear on that
TEAMYANKEES
TEAM SEMINOLES
antone smith , greg carr , preston parker ,andre fluellen ,tony carter,letroy guion , everette brown , paul griffin , geno hayes , myron rolle , marcus ball , Patrick Robinson​

How does he have the audacity to request for such a contract? He is flaming trash. :smh:
smh.gif

TEAMlateNIGHT
[table][tr][td]>AIM[/td][/tr][/table]​
The Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts & The Indiana Pacers
I demand respect so address me as Mister.​

Yay, another player on my fantasy team that is giving me nothing.
4L8O15S16T23!42
My 5 teams: 1. ANGELS, 2. LAKERS (I grew up on Angels/Lakers games), 3. UK WILDCATS (my wife is from Kentucky), 4. TN TITANS (we married and started our lives together in Tennessee), 5. L.A. SPARKS (WNBA/Sparks fan since Day One). When my teams aren't playing, I'll always show love for these SoCal teams: L.A. CLIPPERS, S.D. PADRES, Anaheim DUCKS, USC TROJANS, S.D. CHARGERS, L.A. AVENGERS, L.A. DODGERS, U.C.L.A. BRUINS, L.A. KINGS, L.A. GALAXY. "This game is in the refrigerator! The door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's gettin hard, and the Jello's jigglin!" -Chick Hearn (R.I.P.)​

Quote:
NT not interested in the cavs
:lol:
laugh.gif
7909_carlito2.jpg
DALLAS MAVERICKS
Proving the doubters wrong
Ager, Barea, Bass, Dampier, Diop, Fazekas, George, Hassell, Harris, Howard, Howard, Jones, Nowitzki, Stackhouse, Terry​

Wow. Talk about bad advice.

Time to fire your agent.

He should sign with Boston and never consider shooting the ball. EVER.
DON'T PUT UP NO BRICK​
The B.O.P.​

ska...your team sucks. I chuckled when I saw it today. :lol:
laugh.gif

TEAMlateNIGHT
[table][tr][td]>AIM[/td][/tr][/table]​
The Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts & The Indiana Pacers
I demand respect so address me as Mister.​

yeah i hope he doesnt sign. hes being greedy and not worth half what he wants. we did fine last night without him. much more uptempo and hopefully the new offense keeps swingin the ball...
Official Cleveland Cavaliers Gameday Post-writer

TEAM CLEVELAND CAVS
Great season Tribe​

Whats so special about this dude? :lol:
laugh.gif
BOSTON CELTICS
16 Championships ~ 10 MVPs ~ 1 Legacy
1~2~3~6~10~14~ 15~16~17~18~19~21~22~23~24~25~31~32~33~35~00~LOSCY

andy, if you didnt do that spin move hook shot over duncan and passed it back to bron instead, maybe the cavs would've given u a better deal... maybe.....

haha...he should move to Europe and join that bum Hoffa.

TEAM RAPTORS
We Bring Out The Salami and Cheese
TEAM BOILERMAKERS
All Hail the Old Gold and Black

id give him a 5 year deal worth 500 grand ... dude looks like a floppy giraffe ... i wish i was 6'10
TEAMCOWBOYS

Who wants to pay someone that much money just to flop. Dude has no offensive skill, and the only thing he can do is board, if anything. I wouldnt pay him that much money at all ever.

"Five years for 500,000". That I agree with.
.:: |Team| Toronto| Raptors| ::.​
.:: We Aint Scurred of the C's ::.
TEAM PRARIE BOYZ​

who has the gif of varejao's playoff heroics against detroit? :lol:
laugh.gif
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
*Braylon Edwards should have been drafted instead of A.S.*​

Back
Top Bottom