Cd Sales 9-6-11 Vol. Lil Wayne 1 MILLION SOLD!

ToAnotherLevel wrote:
....Wayne isn't making music for grown men. Seems like he's going after the adolescence. He has his moments but I just don't know..

I feel the same way. I use to see some kind of connection to his music...... now I dont feel it as much.

Some of his songs I feel that he is getting worse and not getting better lyrically.

With wayne and sales, its like this:

Wayne and birdman have said it themselves, they want to build superstars over there. Superstars sell records...a lot of records. So they do what they have to do in order to sell records. Whether it be putting drake on hooks, making "how to love" type records, etc. all of that contributes to building superstars.

So in the end, from a CMB mindset, who cares if its lyrically its bad, or there aren't any concepts when you're selling over 700K first week off of a album that already was downloaded over 1 million times. You can have the dope concepts and lyrics, ill take the dope numbers in the end...from a CMB mindset.

I enjoyed the album by the way.

Originally Posted by ToAnotherLevel

Like someone said earlier, album sales != a good album. So what exactly does the album sales mean? That Yao Ming comparison was perfect.

YMCMB has a following, there's no denying that but lets relax, there's better music out here. I can't help but feel like Wayne isn't making music for grown men. Seems like he's going after the adolescence. He has his moments but I just don't know..
So if he's making music for the adolescence, especially if they're the ones buying it, why is that a problem?

He doesn't owe you anything.  He owes the demographic that are actually going to buy his album and pay to go to his shows.  Wouldn't it be smart to cater to those putting money in his pocket?

Alot of ya'll _'s sound like scorned best friends who got left for greener pastures
laugh.gif
  If you don't like the product he's putting out don't listen or check for him.

Why yall PleighGurls mad Huh ? You clowns are lame, you really thought that boy wasnt going to out sell "The Throne" ? Take yall *$! home and be family men

It's like this, if your content doesn't transcend then what's the purpose? It's like we had this same conversation when Nelly sold 10 million...and Nas said it best, "in the history of the game, you have no placement". So you can talk about sales all day, but when it's all said and done I need substance. If I listen to Biggie, it's weed and girls yeah, but for the most part Biggie never catered to the fickle audience such as teenagers who will eventually mature and move past the bull. Wayne is garbage now. The music just seemed real back then...

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

With wayne and sales, its like this:

Wayne and birdman have said it themselves, they want to build superstars over there. Superstars sell records...a lot of records. So they do what they have to do in order to sell records. Whether it be putting drake on hooks, making "how to love" type records, etc. all of that contributes to building superstars.

So in the end, from a CMB mindset, who cares if its lyrically its bad, or there aren't any concepts when you're selling over 700K first week off of a album that already was downloaded over 1 million times. You can have the dope concepts and lyrics, ill take the dope numbers in the end...from a CMB mindset.

I enjoyed the album by the way.
And those who are true fans of the art have a problem w/ this and rightfully so. 
But as far as the numbers, I don't respect em. They could have easily purchased half of those to boost the numbers, which creates more hype and hysteria.  The album is not that great imo. I couldn't really understand half of it w/ all the rambling, singing, etc. I felt like an old man listenin to it

Originally Posted by gllahone84

It's like this, if your content doesn't transcend then what's the purpose? It's like we had this same conversation when Nelly sold 10 million...and Nas said it best, "in the history of the game, you have no placement". So you can talk about sales all day, but when it's all said and done I need substance. If I listen to Biggie, it's weed and girls yeah, but for the most part Biggie never catered to the fickle audience such as teenagers who will eventually mature and move past the bull. Wayne is garbage now. The music just seemed real back then...

Whaaatttttttttttt? So who did Biggie cater to? The hustlers, drug dealers & gang bangers? puh-leaseeeee.
No rapper has a specific target audience. They want people of every background to listen to their music. That is why people sign major label deals, so they can have their music played everywhere, for more races of people to hear.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Originally Posted by gllahone84

Whaaatttttttttttt? So who did Biggie cater to? The hustlers, drug dealers & gang bangers? puh-leaseeeee.
No rapper has a specific target audience. They want people of every background to listen to their music. That is why people sign major label deals, so they can have their music played everywhere, for more races of people to hear.
Yes.  White teenagers STILL love Biggie.  People say the weirdest things in these threads about what race listens to what...  If a rapper is popular white people listen to him heavily—that goes for Jay-Z, Kanye, 50 Cent, Dipset, Biggie, 2Pac, Gucci Mane, Nas, everybody....  Lil' Wayne is no more popular with white people or teenagers than Kanye West is.  That's a ridiculous statement.
I appreciate what gllahone says about content transcending though.  The albums that live forever do a lot more to boost a rapper's status than one album that manages to hop on the trends at the right time.  Certainly Nelly is a good example—it seemed like people practically forgot he existed during his hiatus, but someone like Biggie is still going strong off those two albums.

Not sure what some of yall define as "running hip hop", is it sales, is it popularity or is it the actual material?
If its the first two then yes, I guess you can say YM is running hip hop.
If its the last one then no, no their not.

Originally Posted by 10027

I appreciate what gllahone says about content transcending though.  The albums that live forever do a lot more to boost a rapper's status than one album that manages to hop on the trends at the right time.  Certainly Nelly is a good example—it seemed like people practically forgot he existed during his hiatus, but someone like Biggie is still going strong off those two albums.
Does Wayne's music transcend anything? As "good/great" as Carter 1 and 2 were, I just don't get the feeling that 10-15 years from now, people will be like "Maaaaaan, you remember Carter II?". I just don't get that feeling
at all from any of his music, and the only reason I would go back to listen to The Block Is Hot is cause that sound at that time just has a nostalgic feel, real distinct. I just feel like sooner or later, once the YM machine does
start to slow down, that he'll be replaced in a way and will be put into the distance just like Nelly did, regardless if that person is actually good or not. 

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by 10027

Does Wayne's music transcend anything? As "good/great" as Carter 1 and 2 were, I just don't get the feeling that 10-15 years from now, people will be like "Maaaaaan, you remember Carter II?". I just don't get that feeling
at all from any of his music, and the only reason I would go back to listen to The Block Is Hot is cause that sound at that time just has a nostalgic feel, real distinct. I just feel like sooner or later, once the YM machine does
start to slow down, that he'll be replaced in a way and will be put into the distance just like Nelly did, regardless if that person is actually good or not. 

Nah I didn't mean that about Wayne at all, I'd put him in the Nelly category...  Even his good old stuff isn't really classic.

laugh.gif
Yall dudes need to chill out he's nowhere near 700K yet.

Just wait for the official numbers next week I see him doing 400 - 500K tho

Yesterday (Aug. 29), initial first-week sales projections for Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter IV" were hovering in the 700,000-850,000 range, but now, after a full day's worth of sales under its belt, that number has grown. Industry sources now suggest the album may shift over 850,000-900,000 by week's end on Sept. 4.

The album, released yesterday at 12 AM, will undoubtedly hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 next week, marking Wayne's third chart-topper.

Lil Wayne's 'Tha Carter IV': Track-By-Track Review

Red Hot Chili Peppers' new "I'm With You" will be the likely runner-up to Lil Wayne next week, as the veteran rock band's set is looking to start with around 175,000-200,000 sold.

Red Hot Chili Peppers' 'I'm With You': Track-By-Track Review

If "Carter IV" shifts 850,000 or more, it will instantly mark the biggest sales week for a hip-hop album (or one by a male artist), since his own "Carter III" bowed with 1.01 million on the June 28, 2008 chart according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"Carter III" is one of only 17 albums to have sold a million or more in one week since SoundScan began tracking data in 1991.

"Carter IV" follows a pair of top-two sets for Wayne in 2010: "Rebirth" (No. 2) and "I Am Not a Human Being" (No. 1). They launched with 176,000 and 110,000 copies, respectively.

Originally Posted by bigtomgetsgwap

He'll get 500k minimum...I don't kno about 700 tho

im seriously down for a paypal bet that hell do over 700k first week.

Pop star what do you expect.

People buy the albums without listening to the music, they just buy it cause they "like" the artist.

Commercial Hip Hop is awful pop music.

Originally Posted by PO2345

I don't know how this +%%$% is doing this?
30t6p3b.gif

PO
YMCMB cronies with the mass purchasing.

Wayne is cool in my book. But NOBODY moves units like that in this day w/o some sort of trick/glitch/loophole.

30t6p3b.gif

PO
He has the perfect fan base out of all popular rap artists. Go to a Lil' Wayne show and you really see the mix, and they're loyal fans at that. I knew he would do gold easily, the question was how much more. Imagine if there was a real roll out plan with this album? YMCMB really just threw the $%#* out with two singles/videos and did nothing else. To me that's remarkable.

laugh.gif
 People act like doing 700K or whateva validates the album, its still considered below average by most listeners. He has a loyal fanbase, mindless teenagers and suburbanites. Just like Em, he is in a position that no matter how garbage an album he drops it still will do great numbers. I mean it guess this will fuel silly Wayne > The Throne arguments for months to come when people should be discussing the music.

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

30t6p3b.gif

PO
He has the perfect fan base out of all popular rap artists. Go to a Lil' Wayne show and you really see the mix, and they're loyal fans at that. I knew he would do gold easily, the question was how much more. Imagine if there was a real roll out plan with this album? YMCMB really just threw the $$$* out with two singles/videos and did nothing else. To me that's remarkable.

You aint never lied. I went to his show in Irvine, CA last friday. Ive never seen so many thick %%% white women ready to have Weezy's baby. And they knew all the lyrics. Some young asian girls behind me screamed their throats bloody for him. I honestly wasnt sure what to expect when going to the show, but I did not expect that. It was cool none the less though.

Back
Top Bottom