CDC REPORTS 39.2% OF BLACKS ARE INFECTED WITH HERPES! Vol. But I Cant FEEL nothing...

(CNN) -- As much as 16 percent of the U.S. population betweenthe ages of 14 and 49 has genital herpes, according to a governmentstudy released Tuesday.
And sexually transmitted diseases of allvarieties infect 19 million more Americans every year -- a rate thatcosts the health care system some $16 billion annually, the NationalHealth and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) found. The study wasreleased by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as part of the the National STD Prevention Conference in Atlanta, Georgia.

Theherpes simplex 2 virus -- one of the most common sexually transmitteddiseases in the United States -- causes painful, recurring genitalsores.

"This study serves as a stark reminder that herpesremains a common and serious health threat in the United States.Everyone should be aware of the symptoms, risk factors and steps thatcan be taken to prevent the spread of this lifelong and incurableinfection," said Dr. Kevin Fenton, director of the CDC's NationalCenter for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention.

Womenand African-Americans have the highest rate of genital herpesinfections. [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]According to the study, one in five women is infected withthe herpes virus. The infection rate was almost twice as high amongwomen -- nearly 21 percent -- than among men, at 11.5 percent.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]ForAfrican-Americans, the prevalence of infection was 39.2 percent -- morethan three times that of whites, at 12.3 percent.[/color] [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Black women are mostaffected by the disease, with an infection rate of 48 percent.[/color]

Fentonsaid the high rates of herpes among African-Americans is most likelycontributing to the high rate of HIV in that community. In fact,statistics show that people with herpes are two to three times morelikely to get HIV if exposed.

TheCDC estimates that more than 80 percent of the people who have theherpes simplex 2 virus don't know they are infected. Many people neverhave symptoms or outbreaks, or those symptoms are mild and mistaken forsomething else. But transmission can occur without symptoms or visiblesores.

"Many individuals are transmitting herpes to otherswithout even knowing it," said Dr. John M. Douglas Jr., director of theCDC's Division of STD Prevention. "We can't afford to be complacentabout this disease. It is important that persons with symptomssuggestive of herpes -- especially recurrent sores in the genital area-- seek clinical care to determine if these symptoms may be due toherpes and might benefit from treatment."

These new numbers arefrom data between 2005 and 2008 and are consistent with the last study,which covered 1999-2004. The CDC says that there was a slight declinein infection rates but that it was not statistically significant.

Preventionstrategies can help reduce national rates, the CDC said, and there area number of effective drugs that can help treat and prevent outbreaks.

Douglassaid people who know their herpes status should avoid sex when theyhave symptoms or sores, limit their number of sexual partners, and usecondoms consistently and correctly.

However, CDC experts saythere are a number of barriers to treatment, including poverty and lackof access to care. They say young women often don't get tested for STDsbecause of misinformation and stigma.

According to four studiesalso released at the National STD Prevention Conference on Tuesday,African-Americans are shouldering a heavy STD burden.

While[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]African-Americans make up 12 percent of the U.S. population, thatpopulation accounts for nearly half of all reported syphilis andchlamydia cases, more than 70 percent of all reported gonorrhea casesand about half of all new HIV infections[/color].

And,according to CDC experts, while African-American women and men areoften unwilling to get tested, doctors are often reluctant to discusssexual health with their patients -- particularly with black malepatients.

Link for those interested http://www.cnn.com/2010/H...enital.herpes/index.html

Team RAW
nerd.gif

Seriously though, I have no words
smh.gif
... Please discuss NT

I'm sure they count the common cold sore as well (herpes simplex virus I), and not everyone shows symptoms of it yet can still transmit it.

Kinda scary really but just make sure you wrap it up and don't be making out with random skeezo's all the time.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I'm sure they count the common cold sore as well (herpes simplex virus I), and not everyone shows symptoms of it yet can still transmit it.

Kinda scary really but just make sure you wrap it up and don't be making out with random skeezo's all the time.

No they clearly stated HSV-2.

If they were talking about HSV-1 the percentage would be much higher many estimates put it at around 70-90% of people are infected

it's true and it's a shame it's been kept under the wraps for over 20 years now by the government, while social prevention could've taken place a while ago. 48% is HALF. 1 out of 2 african american women have it. That's *$$*%*% insane.
smh.gif

Damn this is crazy......... 1 out of 2 women and damn near half the population of blacks in america what's going on!! where do we get this stuff from

Another one of these ''Black people are ___ % more likely to'' studies...

...++#% outta here - there's a reason as to why statistics are the least credible evidence in the court of law, that reason being: #s can easily be skewed to portray your desired outcome.

So Black women only make $5, are the reasons gay marriage keeps getting voted down, and roam around town flamin' dudes with the herps huh?

*SMH*
It never stops does it?
I'm not saying that this thread isn't touching on something important and real,but I guarantee you that ignorance and stupidity will be thick in here in a little while.

even wrapping it up wont protect you, I'm sorry.

your bound to have skin to skin contact, kiss the person, etc when having intercourse.

you just have to know who you're messing with.

Heh and there's a crazy herpes outbreak at VCU right now too amongst the black community. 1 in 2 though?! Damn....

Little under 1 and 5 chance that your future partner might have herpes

with that said if you found out and found that you didn't contract it yet would you stay?

I don't even feed into the devil anymore...

There is no way that this can even be factually determined unless you tested every "black" person America.

These various organizations extrapolate biased data and use it as banner fodder to further their respective agendas.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

There is no way that this can even be factually determined unless you tested every "black" person America.

These various organizations extrapolate biased data and use it as banner fodder to further their respective agendas.

word

just like that 5 dollar thread about black women

i aint buyin that either.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

word

just like that 5 dollar thread about black women

i aint buyin that either.

Back
Top Bottom