Charlie Villanueva's Twitter block = Scott Skiles, Shaq tweets during halftime vs Wizards.

Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by dyyhard, Mar 17, 2009.

1. dyyhard

dyyhard

[​IMG]
    CV31 trying to please all his followers...not anymore during halftime.

Gilbert Arenas anyone?

Updated:
    March 17, 2009, 8:31 PM ET

Skiles to Villanueva: No halftime tweets

Comment Email Print Share
    Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- It might be the next big thing in online social networking, but Milwaukee Bucks coach Scott Skiles isn't a big fan of Twitter.

At least not when one of his players is posting from the Bucks' locker room during halftime of a critical game.

Bucks forward Charlie Villanueva got a talking-tofrom Skiles after the coach learned Villanueva posted a message to his Twitter feed -- a "tweet" -- from his mobile phone during halftime ofSunday's home victory over the Boston Celtics.

"We made a point to Charlie and the team that it's nothing we ever want to happen again," Skiles said after practice Tuesday. "You know,[we] don't want to blow it out of proportion. But anything that gives the impression that we're not serious and focused at all times is not the correctway we want to go about our business."

Using the screen name "CV31" -- Villanueva's initials and jersey number -- Villanueva posted the following message during halftime Sunday:

"In da locker room, snuck to post my twitt. We're playing the Celtics, tie ball game at da half. Coach wants more toughness. I gotta stepup."

And he did. Villanueva finished with a team-high 19 points as the Bucks, who are trying desperately to hold on to the final playoff spot in the EasternConference, beat the Celtics 86-77.

Villanueva said Tuesday that he didn't think the post was a big deal at the time but now understands that posting to a Web site at halftime can createthe impression he isn't focused on the game.

"That wasn't the case at all, because I was very into the game -- as you can tell, the way I played," Villanueva said. "But you caninterpret it two different ways. You can look at it like, 'OK, he's definitely going to step up' versus, 'Oh, he's really not into thegame, he's not paying attention.' But that wasn't the case at all. That wasn't my intention at all."

Twitter allows its users to send short, text message-style notes to a mass audience and is rising in popularity among athletes, politicians andcelebrities.

NBA star Shaquille O'Neal (screen name:"THE-REAL-SHAQ") occasionally uses the site to give away tickets to fans. Cyclist Lance Armstrong ("lancearmstrong") provides updates onthe frequency of his anti-doping tests and posts pictures from his training rides.

Villanueva took athletes' tweets to a new level Sunday.

But by Sunday night, he made it clear in subsequent posts that he was getting "some beef" about his post.

"The halftime twitt actually motivated me," he posted. "That's why I did it, plus of course to keep you guys in the loop of some liveaction."

Skiles said Tuesday that he didn't necessarily think Villanueva's post was a sign that he wasn't paying attention -- but he knows some peoplecould take it that way.

"I think a reasonable person could look at that either way," Skiles said. "And I'm a pretty reasonable guy. And so the answer is no, notnecessarily. But I also know from the comments I've gotten from some people in the game that there could be people who think it's a sign. We just wantto distance ourselves, that's all."

Skiles said Villanueva would not be fined for the incident but said it was a "no-brainer" that players shouldn't be doing such things from thelocker room any more.

"My personal opinion is, it doesn't have any place in the locker room," Skiles said. "The locker room's a private place for theplayers, a sanctuary for the players. But once you walk out of the locker room or whatever, I'm not into getting into guys' personal lives."

Villanueva said he has been on Twitter for about two months and enjoys interacting with fans. He had more than 1,600 "followers" subscribing tohis feed as of Tuesday afternoon.

Still, he seemed surprised by the attention he was drawing with the Bucks preparing for another tough opponent Wednesday night.

"We're talking about Twitter here," Villanueva said. "We should be worried about Orlando."

2. worldbeefreeg

worldbeefreeg

Why does every cat from NY got to be such a goon? SMH

3. vctry20

vctry20

Yeah I see where they would call that a no brainer, I thought it was funny though.

I fully expect to see Shaq tweeting from the bench because he never misses an opportunity to spite a fellow NBA player

4. bangdak

bangdak

^dude is from NY? [​IMG][​IMG]
    reppin queens all day long bro [​IMG]

5. JD617

JD617

6. vctry20

vctry20

We talkin bout twitter, man. I'm supposed to be the franchise player and we talkin bout twitter.
    twitter?.....twitter?....we've got orlando and here we are talking about twitter?....twitter...

7. doublejs07

doublejs07

he's a +!#*$$#....someone should have noticed that he was messing w. his phone before anything went out....

8. osh kosh bosh

osh kosh bosh

They should be happy Charlie had motivation to do anything...

9. mw2889

mw2889

I hate when stupid *$#! like this gets media attention.

10. the fresh sole

the fresh sole

at least he stepped up

11. dyyhard

dyyhard

had to look up what gil was doing during halftime, i forgot. online poker.

[​IMG]

12. iminchucks5

iminchucks5

lol at his twitter now

"it took some real gangstaness to tweet during a game"

comedy

13. al3xis

al3xis

This twitter thing is just beyond me.

14. daprescription

daprescription

[​IMG]

15. jthagreat

jthagreat

lol

16. pharelfor3

pharelfor3

man I feel like i'm the only one in NYC who's not up on it. Time to join the bandwagon.

17. jville819

jville819

Yo forreal what is a twitter. I've seen people say they have twitters now. Is it just another name for a blog?

18. dyyhard

dyyhard

^ it's like facebook updates.

it's also integrated into mobile phones. you can get updates aka tweets, like texts, straight to your phone.

and you can post using a app like twitterberry(???) or twidroid straight to your twitter.

19. franchise3

franchise3

[​IMG]

Charlie V has been balling this year though. [​IMG]

20. eightysbaby

eightysbaby

I dont even have twitter but I wish I had Chucks gamertag so i can play him in 2K9[​IMG]

21. sickwitit

sickwitit

"In da locker room, snuck to post my twitt. We're playing the Celtics, tie ball game at da half. Coach wants more toughness. I gotta step up."

[​IMG]

22. roll 22

roll 22

[​IMG][​IMG]

23. dyyhard

dyyhard

the man can't let it go. [​IMG]

from his twitter today.....

# I sent a tweet to get some other players opinion on the next level of twitting, maybe they'll get back to me. Now time to do some replies...about 2 hoursago from web

# @tysonchandler Excel Sports in the building. Ty, what's your take on players & tweeting, whats the next level of entertainment? Just curiousabout 2hours ago from web in reply to tysonchandler

# @chrisbosh C-Bosh, my brother from another mother, just trying to get some feedback on the next level of twitting? Where will it go?about 2 hours ago fromweb in reply to chrisbosh

# @THE_REAL_SHAQ Hey Shaq, so what's your take on the next level of twitting? I was going to leave it alone, but the fans want to know...about 2 hours agofrom web in reply to THE_REAL_SHAQ

# @cyandle so if I do a halftime interview am I not being focus?about 4 hours ago from TwitterFon in reply to cyandle

# About to take my nap, but I'm looking for some answers here, what's the difference between halftime twitting and halftime interview?about 4 hours agofrom TwitterFon

24. mr everywhere

mr everywhere

[​IMG] the name Twitter is funny to me....i didnt know it would catch on likethis...but this bamma is too tall to be twittling at halftime