Charter school in tough neighborhood gets all its seniors into college

pimp.gif
nice

Originally Posted by jdizzle75

Thats great but these kids are also very smart and come from well off families that can afford to send these kids to these charters schools.
I'm not sure you understand how charter schools work. They're funded by public money and (some) by donations from businesses, foundations, philanthropists, etc. They cannot be discriminatory in their admissions process due to the public funding. For example, this particular school clearly states they use a lottery.

Also, being smart is no indication of being successful. You can have all the brains in the world, but with no motivation, no support system, and no application, it doesn't mean anything.

Originally Posted by Across 110th st

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by jthagreat

This is great. I had always been against private, home and I guess charter schools, but as I've gotten older...I will strongly look into it for my kids. (When I have them). What a great read.
curious...for what reason?
i think tax dollars play a major role in their existence...even home schools
Charter schools get tax funding.  Home schoolers and private schools do not.

To Dirty. Not for any good reason. I just looked at kids who went to those kind of schools as "suckas" or who had parents who were scared their lil "angel" might get "hurt" somehow. Those kids usually socially awkward as well. But I believe that was me bein immature. I still view parents a certain way cause they don't allow their kids to go to public schools cause they're "bad" in a negative light because I feel if u teach ur kids right from wrong they can prosper in any environment(like I did. ) But I see the importance of education and private schools (are likely) to provide a better education.

To Dirty. Not for any good reason. I just looked at kids who went to those kind of schools as "suckas" or who had parents who were scared their lil "angel" might get "hurt" somehow. Those kids usually socially awkward as well. But I believe that was me bein immature. I still view parents a certain way cause they don't allow their kids to go to public schools cause they're "bad" in a negative light because I feel if u teach ur kids right from wrong they can prosper in any environment(like I did. ) But I see the importance of education and private schools (are likely) to provide a better education.

i went to a private high school, and 99.2 % of the students went to college, the other .8 going to the army. Thats impressive, but trust me ,from personal experience , private school kids are way worse than public school kids
laugh.gif
its a waste of money if youre trying to get your kid into a "good crowd".

"Good crowd?"
A great education. That's what I want for my kids. I know a kid (I work with youth) and he went to private schools until 7th grade. Very awkward, but in just 3 public school years, u wouldn't know him any different. His head is on right, and I'm proud of him. Will likely try to replicate when I have kids.

Originally Posted by eight2one

they look like they didnt get laid all 4 years of High School, though.
They'll make up for it in college though.
anything is possible when you got the right administration and teacher staff in place.

This. And I'm sure these kids had the in home support as well.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

This is great. I had always been against private, home and I guess charter schools, but as I've gotten older...I will strongly look into it for my kids. (When I have them). What a great read.
my reasons is they're public funded but privately ran......i say you can create da same magic anywhere with da right faculty....

Originally Posted by ninjahood

my reasons is they're public funded but privately ran......i say you can create da same magic anywhere with da right faculty....
Its all about money.......Teachers that dont get paid at a city school can go to the county school and get what they deserve......while the city schools get whats left over.  Thats pretty much why city school or low income areas always suffer in the end.

I send my son to a catholic school right now.......but its pre-school so, we`ll see where he goes for kindergarten.

Charter schools are pretty efficient but I'm not that surprised by the college figures because by their senior year the charter school has weeded out the under achievers.

Back
Top Bottom