Charter school in tough neighborhood gets all its seniors into college

Originally Posted by usherplaylist

Charter schools are pretty efficient but I'm not that surprised by the college figures because by their senior year the charter school has weeded out the under achievers.
that's why I asked what the attrition rate was for that senior class....having over 100 young, black men college bound, in a public school in chicago no less is something to be proud of, but if 25 kids, for example, dropped out or ended up in other schools, it's a bit disingenuous to throw that stat out there.

I taught at a charter school last year...small school, focused on tech (i. e. laptops) with a ton of private funding...though the school has its fair share of problems, the one thing that stood out was that students were allowed to be who they were. Kids who would have been bullied or marginalized in your traditional high school,  fit in fine with the kids rocking the latest nike's. Kids in general were more outgoing and due to the sheer amount of exhibitions and presentations, were more comfortable speaking to each other and to the rest of the world

There are no words to express how happy this story makes me. I hope this opportunity and experience will have a deep impact on these young men as they continue throughout their life. I hope they will all continue their education and find their intellectual and professional passion, become successful, and become role models for children in whatever community in which they settle eventually. Nothing would make me happier than to see this cohort make the most of this and show that, with the proper attention, dedication, and execution, you can make it no matter where you come from. Obviously this is more the exception than the rule now, but hopefully these gentlemen, even if in a small way, can play a part in transforming it more towards the general rule.

Back
Top Bottom