Chase vs. Wells Fargo?

I want to open a new checking account. Who do you think is better? Looking at the student Checking.

Chase by far, plus if you have a friend who banks with them you get an extra $100 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by adiosburritos

they both are terrible

go with credit union

less fees and overall BS
PLEASE stay away from a large bank.  Everything may seem fine on the surface, but if you have any problems with your account it will frustrate the crap out of you.  That's not even putting into consideration that both have started to nickle & dime their customers with monthly fees and debit card fees.

Pick a credit union.  You won't be sorry.  You can use an ATM from any credit union at no charge and they will treat you with some level of respect unlike the larger banks.  I would have suggested ING as another alternative, but since Capital One bought them, their customer service will be dropping off in the next couple years.

For the most part what people fail to understand is that a bank is a business and as a large Corp. it has to find means to generate revenue to pay it's workers; cleaning staff, fraud department etc. So yeah a large bank will charge fees for the serves they offer but its minor compared to the other large Corp. we already throw our money at. For example; Nike, R.L Polo, Jordan, Apple, etc.

But at the same time banks aren't for everyone, what I suggest to customer is that, if convenient matters and you play with at least $1000 every month then a large bank would work best. Now if convenient doesn't matter that much and you struggle to keep $300 stored away then a credit union would be the best fit. With that being said credit unions are great. I thought about opening up a savings, but the only thing stopping me is the distance -_-

Chase is the Jesus of banking regardless of the unfair fees they levy, the services are far and above the competition.

bro go local are you serious. Local banks are the best hands down, best interest rates, no fees, you get it

[h1]
[h1]Wells Fargo to test charging a $3 monthly debit fee[/h1]
Banks are trying out yet another fee. Starting in October in five states, Wells Fargo will charge customers $3 per month if they use their...

By Rick Rothacker

McClatchy Newspapers

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Banks are trying out yet another fee.

Starting in October in five states, Wells Fargo will charge customers $3 per month if they use their debit card to make purchases. Customers can avoid the fee if they don't use their card or by signing up for certain checking accounts.

The guinea pigs will be customers who opened business and personal accounts in Washington, Oregon, New Mexico, Nevada and Georgia. It won't affect customers elsewhere unless they originally opened their accounts in one of those states, Wells spokesman Josh Dunn said.

No decision has been made on whether to expand the pilot program, he said.
[/h1]

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2015939204_debitfees18.html

Originally Posted by kidKiDd

For the most part what people fail to understand is that a bank is a business and as a large Corp. it has to find means to generate revenue to pay it's workers; cleaning staff, fraud department etc. So yeah a large bank will charge fees for the serves they offer but its minor compared to the other large Corp. we already throw our money at. For example; Nike, R.L Polo, Jordan, Apple, etc.

But at the same time banks aren't for everyone, what I suggest to customer is that, if convenient matters and you play with at least $1000 every month then a large bank would work best. Now if convenient doesn't matter that much and you struggle to keep $300 stored away then a credit union would be the best fit. With that being said credit unions are great. I thought about opening up a savings, but the only thing stopping me is the distance -_-
Please elaborate on the "convenience" thing for me.  I have used credit unions for almost my entire life and have yet to have a problem with either service or convenience.  Their ATM system is interlinked so you can take cash out from almost anywhere.  The only problem may be deposits, but most people rarely have to walk into a branch anymore for that.

I had WF when I first opened an account because it was "convenient" and it took them almost 2 months to clear up my problem and the branch manager wrote the lamest "I'm sorry" letter I have ever seen when they were done.  It was literally about 2 sentences.  I have also worked directly with Chase and I was ready to roll some heads on so many occasions due to the bureaucracy, lack of training, and kingdom building that a lot of middle management does to increase profits and get promotions.  If you deal with a large institution long enough, you will come to find out what I'm talking about.

i would say wells fargo. ive never experience any problems, and Ive been with them since 2001. The customer service is always on point, especially when i went through times of canceling cards, moving to new states etc. Im sure that there are less fees at smaller, local banks, but i think you get more from wells fargo than a smaller bank can offer you. I think its worth the small fee to be provided with more services and security. you get what you pay for, like in most cases

For those who say to go local, where can I use their respective Debit Card (if given one) to withdraw money without incurring any fees?

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

For those who say to go local, where can I use their respective Debit Card (if given one) to withdraw money without incurring any fees?
Most smaller banks cut deals with each other to allow their customers to withdraw money from certain atm's.  The same with credit unions.  If you can't find an atm, you can always go to the grocery store and get money with your purchase.

Can someone school me on credit unions? I'm about to switch over my checking account from boa to chase and will have to keep about $40 g's somewhere so I'd like to narrow it down to the best option.

One of my best friends works at Chase, and wanted me to open up an account there, and when I told him I was
already with Wells Fargo, the look on his face was like Karl Malone seeing Michael Jordan walk by with all 6 of his rings.

Back
Top Bottom