ChatGPT and A.I. vol. Skynet on the way

Wake me up when it can prevent me from unplugging whatever it's installed on.

I'll be scared of AI when it can make a smart TV grow legs and free itself from the wall mount.

the concerns over fears of ai are somewhat overstated, to the extent something that has the potential to be so pervasive, displace & shift so many industries, as well as people/work can actually be overstated…but it is worrying how fast it is seemingly being adopted given how simultaneously sophisticated & naive/easily manipulated the technology is

Last edited:
Asking the important questions today:
AEA05FA6-A960-4311-85D1-CB77F9F1880D.jpeg

So it's significantly less prone to what OpenAI calls "hallucinating" – and the rest of us call "pulling incorrect answers out of its backside." But it certainly still does make things up, scoring between 65% and 80% accuracy on those factuality tests, implying that in these tests, 20-35% of all the facts it asserts are still garbage. This will continue to improve, but that itself presents an interesting problem: the more factually correct an AI service becomes, the more people will learn to trust and rely on it, and thus, the greater the consequences of errors will become.
One byproduct of this is that people working with this tool will have to be able to understand the inner workings of it in order to recognize when the results can and cannot be trusted. Sounds like PhDs will be the new Master's degrees.

OpenAI has allowed its stunning ChatGPT AI to reach out into the world with staggering new powers. It can now access the internet, run its own code to solve problems, accept and work on uploaded files, and write its own interfaces to third-party apps.

For the time being, its web browser activities are read-only beyond sending "get" requests to Bing. It can't fill in forms, or do anything else online – so it can't quietly go and set up unshackled copies of itself on some hidden server somewhere and start engaging in the kinds of "power-seeking behavior" it's already been caught exhibiting.

I don't know how this ends well for humans.

One byproduct of this is that people working with this tool will have to be able to understand the inner workings of it in order to recognize when the results can and cannot be trusted. Sounds like PhDs will be the new Master's degrees.

I don't know how this ends well for humans.

it could also free up/unlock massive human potential but because often our conception of technology in popular media has been so framed by dystopian depictions, it is just easier to think about the negative outcomes (combined with our general negative bias as living organisms) rather than the positives…that said if the benefits are to outweigh the downsides it probably will not happen by happenstance with the potential displacement this tech could eventually have (tho by all accounts it really isn’t that close to being able to do & may never quite be able to do), it will likely require genuine thoughtful direction to those ends.

is capitalism the best societal framework for a world in which most tasks are/can be automated? how best to address the inevitable inequities of such a society? what things will need to be (re)considered & will people agree on these new realities & really be willing to confront these issues in a way that is actually productive, that more scary than the technology given the way things seem to be trending

What exactly about what it said to him made him look himself ? The vagueness of the article makes it seem like he had mental health issues as long as two years ago. It would be interesting to see what the conversations looked like for them to blame the chatbot

It speaks language well enough that if you had the physical shell aka a c3PO, it could easily be a robot that communicates with the world. At least from a responding back to questions it gets asked. Never seen this before.

Of course someone’s going to attach this to an android hottie and the wildin out will begin.

Back
Top Bottom