Chauncey Billups: HOF?

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Nash typically gets thrown into every thread when HOF type stuff comes up, it's the NT way....

Not my fault this time.
nerd.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

Doesn't Nash have 2 MVPs?

Yeah, Shaq probably deserved that first one but Steve did a complete 180 with that Suns team in his very first year

that has to count for something

2003 - 2004: 29 - 53 - Before Steve

2004 - 2005: 62 - 20 - With Steve

String, I personally invite you to a thread that will open in the future where we will have an all out debate about the fake MVP.

It will be epic, it will be bloody, it will be a lotta fun.

It may lead to my permanent banishment from NT.

So everybody will win.
laugh.gif

Today is not the day though.

Yeah, I guess I have derailed this thread a little bit

Anyways, back on topic

when people use that old tired "Floor General" cliche

I think of Chauncey Billups

pimp.gif

7 consecutive conference finals appearances. SEVEN IN A ROW! Neither Tim Duncan, Shaq, or Kobe can claim that. He gets my vote.

Naw CP this one aint on you but still
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

Naw actually it's the age old question of what you did as opposed to what your team did. I can see it both ways. That's what's great about sports.

Guys like Tony Parker for example always get a free pass because well, he plays in S.A.'s winning system and he plays with Tim Duncan. And he can ball onthe offensive end. But Tony Parker is a swinging door on defense. To his luck it's worked out that his TEAM has been able to advance despite that"problem." Nash? He just couldnt get over that hump to get that one Western Conference spot in the NBA Finals. And that's sports.

But beyond that it's back to my main point....

Chauncey? Played on some darm good teams. Hit some big shots. Played steady. Like Nash, took awhile to get into the groove in his career. He played on 5 teamsin his first 6 years. Unlike Nash, is actually given credit for developing and never had an excuse of a system doing it for him. Also....that year Billups wonFinals MVP and Detroit won it all? Billups finished that playoffs with 16.4 PPG, 5.9 APG, 3.0 RPG and .385 shooting percentage. Other factors go into playthere obviously (we all watched the games) but the point here is what if years later that exact stat line was behind Nash's name? I'm certain we wouldhear from some as saying "You mean Nash who was given Finals MVP for averaging 16 points and less than 6 assists per game on 38% shooting?"

We over analyze the stats we like and omit the factors we dont like. We all do it. Especially in this day and age where unless you have NBA Pass you probablyarent watching many full length games during the regular season unless it's your hometown team. Yet NT is full of NBA experts.

So...........who is going to have the better "career?" That's tough to tell.

Winning matters to players who aren't first ballot Hall of Famers.

Somehow I think Chauncey gets in, but he will have to play a few more seasons of solid ball first.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Naw CP this one aint on you but still
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

Naw actually it's the age old question of what you did as opposed to what your team did. I can see it both ways. That's what's great about sports.

Guys like Tony Parker for example always get a free pass because well, he plays in S.A.'s winning system and he plays with Tim Duncan. And he can ball on the offensive end. But Tony Parker is a swinging door on defense. To his luck it's worked out that his TEAM has been able to advance despite that "problem." Nash? He just couldnt get over that hump to get that one Western Conference spot in the NBA Finals. And that's sports.

But beyond that it's back to my main point....

Chauncey? Played on some darm good teams. Hit some big shots. Played steady. Like Nash, took awhile to get into the groove in his career. He played on 5 teams in his first 6 years. Unlike Nash, is actually given credit for developing and never had an excuse of a system doing it for him. Also....that year Billups won Finals MVP and Detroit won it all? Billups finished that playoffs with 16.4 PPG, 5.9 APG, 3.0 RPG and .385 shooting percentage. Other factors go into play there obviously (we all watched the games) but the point here is what if years later that exact stat line was behind Nash's name? I'm certain we would hear from some as saying "You mean Nash who was given Finals MVP for averaging 16 points and less than 6 assists per game on 38% shooting?"

We over analyze the stats we like and omit the factors we dont like. We all do it. Especially in this day and age where unless you have NBA Pass you probably arent watching many full length games during the regular season unless it's your hometown team. Yet NT is full of NBA experts.

So...........who is going to have the better "career?" That's tough to tell.
My thing is, Chauncey led those teams to where they went. Look at how Chauncey is in the Playoffs and how far they get. Hasn't he madeconference Finals like 7 or 8 straight times now? Coincidence? I think not. Carmelo used to not get out of the first round, now they're contending to go tothe Finals. The thing with Chauncey that puts him so far ahead of anyone else in the L other than Deron/CP3 is that he's such a complete player all the wayaround. Defense, shooting, passing, play-making, instinct, IQ, there's just nothing about Chauncey's game you can look at and think, "Wellhe's not very good at _______."

Bottom-line is, Chauncey is a winner, and winners get rewarded in the NBA HoF. Nash is a winner in an individual type.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Originally Posted by Swag Surfer

04-05 Nash > Any Billups year. Fact.
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
Nah, it's fact.

In any case, I think Billups is really making his case for the HOF.. Maybe not a 1st-ballot but 3rd? lol Why not.. He's a winner and a consummate pro..

Ry, you shouldn't put too much into these threads, you helpin me prepare my defense for later.
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

I'm still holdin onto my aces in this argument, got like 8 of em up my sleeve.
pimp.gif

I'll say this though, Billups can go out there and play that D on Kobe Bryant, Nash couldn't guard Vanessa Bryant. True statement.

Been a pleasure everyone.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by starbury03

2004 NBA Champion
2004 NBA Finals MVP
2004-05 NBA All-Defense Second Team
2005-06 NBA All-Defense Second Team
2005-06 All-NBA Second Team
2008-09 All-NBA Third Team
4x All-Star
2006-07 All-NBA Third Team

You do the math. He'll be in the hall.
Its easily arguable... WHEN he gets his next ring, its no question he'll be in.

I think he gets in
grin.gif

His body of work in College should help him get the nod too its still an iffy situation tho

he wins the championship this year, he's in the running.
finals mvp this year?
he's in.

too bad kobe's gonna have something to say about that.

Back
Top Bottom