Cheap/easy college meals??? vol. no more frozen pizzas

I enjoy a good Tombstone but really, pizza gets old. Let's share some ideas for cheap/easy college meals, cause I'm poor.

These are easy "recipes" for people like me that know nothing about cooking to begin with. These are pretty obvious combinations but if you're like me, you struggle to really think of what you want to eat no matter how simple it is. If anything, this proves how badly I need new ideas.

Philly cheese steak
- roast beef from deli
- chopped red/green peppers
- chopped onions
Fry the above three in a pan, meanwhile toasting some bread and melting some sort of cheese onto it. Stick the mix into the bread and toss a little dijon mustard on top.

Egg in a hole
- egg
- bread
Tear a hole in the middle of the bread, apply Pam spray and toss it onto a pan. Crack an egg in the middle, keeping the yolk intact. Flip it depending on how runny you like your yolk. Add Lawry's salt when finished.

Noodles + anything
First I cook up some generic kind of noodles, adding olive oil and spices like garlic powder, pepper, oregano, basil, parsley
Then pan fry some veggies like peppers, cucumbers, onions, or chop fresh olives or tomatoes and toss it in.
Finish with some sort of cheese over the top to melt, like a shredded mozzarella or parmesan.

nz3vk3.jpg

Easy chicken
roll a chicken breast in some flour and rub with a little basil and pepper, then pan fry it with some olive oil. Make sure it's fairly thin so it cooks the middle well enough. Compliment with some rice like a wild rice variety.

Here I got a little wild and added lemon rind and fresh parsley to the flour before I fried it up... then I sprinkled capers on afterwards

2d8evxl.jpg

Here's some chicken and a weird sandwich... chopped chicken, peppers, provolone, sprouts, mustard

24lkn0k.jpg

damn it looks like you're eating good at college.
I was always eating 69 cents ramon soup

Egg in a hole
- egg
- bread
Tear a hole in the middle of thebread, apply Pam spray and toss it onto a pan. Crack an egg in themiddle, keeping the yolk intact. Flip it depending on how runny youlike your yolk. Add Lawry's salt when finished.
when we were kids my pops would make this. But with tortillas
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Egg in a hole
- egg
- bread
Tear a hole in the middle of thebread, apply Pam spray and toss it onto a pan. Crack an egg in themiddle, keeping the yolk intact. Flip it depending on how runny youlike your yolk. Add Lawry's salt when finished.
when we were kids my pops would make this. But with tortillas
smokin.gif

My mom always used to make it for us kids. I hadn't had one in about ten years until the idea popped in my head again.
devil.gif
they are simple, quick, and good.

OP, your food looks bomb.

I most def wasn't eating like that during college.

George Foreman Grill might be the worst piece of kitchen equipment known to man. Some of you guys have to try cooking with real pots and pans, the flavors just don't compare.

Here are some cheaper suggestions:

Skinless fresh chicken breast in BULK. Cheapest way to buy it, freeze what you dont use.

Pasta - Combine it with any jarred sauce, and its great. Add some fresh garlic and spices and your good to go.

Pancake batter- just add water- Pancakes with some fresh fruit like blueberry or bananas is delicious. Canned fruit served on top is also an alternative

Tuna melts - Just like a grilled cheese, butter your bread, place it in pan, scoop some tuna on top, top it off w your favorite cheese, let it melt, and enjoy!

Chicken salad - Walmart has canned cheap chicken breast chunks, if you dont want to make fresh. Mix it with mayo, mustard, whatever else you need, some bread and your good to go.

chicken and Rice- cook the rice, take out a non stick saute, olive oil, garlic spices, add chicken and its delicious

homemade potato skins - toss whole potatoes in olive oil, spices, and bake them. cut them in half, scoop out some of the center, SAVE SCOOPED potatoe. Cook some bacon, dice it up, fill in center of potatoe top with cheddar cheese, oven, taste amazing with some sour cream. Make some mashed potatoes or breakfast potatoes with the left over from the centers

Theres a ton of easy things to cook for cheap, you just gotta be creative and give it a try. Its not rocket science, good luck to all.
EDIT: You can get all sorts of cheap cuts of beef for a steak dinner. Dont always associate steak to be expensive, just realize its going to be rough cut. Dont over cook it, give it a try. Chop meat for some meat sauce is also cheap and goes a long way.

Cooking would occur more often if the roommates would clean the kitchen and sink more often.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted by II Jovo II

George Foreman Grill might be the worst piece of kitchen equipment known to man. Some of you guys have to try cooking with real pots and pans, the flavors just don't compare.

Because the majority of college kids have a stove in their dorms, let alone have space for pots and pans.

Sure, does a nicely seasoned cast iron pan cook/make food taste better than a Foreman? Yes, absolutely. What would a college kid prefer? George Foreman.

Originally Posted by bkdan1

Cooking would occur more often if the roommates would clean the kitchen and sink more often.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

My number one gripe with my roommates. How am I supposed to clean up my own mess when the sink is lookin like the last round of a Jenga game?

Originally Posted by Simply Certified

Taco bell, deli, & habibi food.
looooooool...my friends and i call lebanese food (shawarma and etc) habibi or shou...."yo, Shou tonight?" 
ive never heard anyone else outside of our city (ottawa) call it habibi food...

Originally Posted by theHBkid

Originally Posted by Simply Certified

Taco bell, deli, & habibi food.
looooooool...my friends and i call lebanese food (shawarma and etc) habibi or shou...."yo, Shou tonight?" 
ive never heard anyone else outside of our city (ottawa) call it habibi food...
doesn't habibi mean love or lover/friend or somethin?

Originally Posted by II Jovo II

Here are some cheaper suggestions:

Skinless fresh chicken breast in BULK. Cheapest way to buy it, freeze what you dont use.

Pasta - Combine it with any jarred sauce, and its great. Add some fresh garlic and spices and your good to go.

Pancake batter- just add water- Pancakes with some fresh fruit like blueberry or bananas is delicious. Canned fruit served on top is also an alternative

Tuna melts - Just like a grilled cheese, butter your bread, place it in pan, scoop some tuna on top, top it off w your favorite cheese, let it melt, and enjoy!

Chicken salad - Walmart has canned cheap chicken breast chunks, if you dont want to make fresh. Mix it with mayo, mustard, whatever else you need, some bread and your good to go.

chicken and Rice- cook the rice, take out a non stick saute, olive oil, garlic spices, add chicken and its delicious

homemade potato skins - toss whole potatoes in olive oil, spices, and bake them. cut them in half, scoop out some of the center, SAVE SCOOPED potatoe. Cook some bacon, dice it up, fill in center of potatoe top with cheddar cheese, oven, taste amazing with some sour cream. Make some mashed potatoes or breakfast potatoes with the left over from the centers

Theres a ton of easy things to cook for cheap, you just gotta be creative and give it a try. Its not rocket science, good luck to all.
EDIT: You can get all sorts of cheap cuts of beef for a steak dinner. Dont always associate steak to be expensive, just realize its going to be rough cut. Dont over cook it, give it a try. Chop meat for some meat sauce is also cheap and goes a long way.
eek.gif

Thank you for the tips! For the pasta with sauce, I've definitely seen some nice sauces in the grocery store. Does the sauce itself need to be cooked at all or can I just lay it on cooked pasta? I'm thinking alfredo or pesto
devil.gif

Back
Top Bottom