Cheerios Ad Starring Interracial Family Predictably Summons Bigot Wave (The Ad's Adorable Though!!!!

Are people so out of touch with reality that they believe people not of the same race/ethnicity/culture don't enjoy a good coital romp?

ABC refuses to cast a Black man on the Bachelorette or Bachelor.

Unless Derek Jeter steps up, it's never gonna happen.

So I think it's more so, they're worried the type of people in the South and Midwest regions of the country that are easily swayed by things they see in ads or on television would have an issue with it.

Actually, I recall seeing a black dude on the bachelorette years ago (had to be the first or second one). Either way, he didin't get far...:lol:

The Bachelor is a whole 'nother story.

I imagine that if by some incredible odds they happen to ever cast a black bachelor, he'll literally have to be super-human: see 6ft5in tall with less than 2% body fat, multimillionaire (in the hundreds), harvard med and law graduate (MD/JB program), contemporary sculptor whose pieces are in high demand and sell for millions, green or blue eyes, distantly related to the Ashanti King, CEO of nonprofit that works closely with UN to help fight child poverty in 3rd world countries, etc...:lol:

In other words, they aint ever putting a regular black guy on the bachelor, that's assuming they even plan on entertaining the idea...:lol:

This mixed guy I went to HS with got a call from ABC to be on the Bachelorette but I guess he didn't make the final cut

Are racist going to boycott Cheerios now? :lol:

I recall reading an article on a blog, posted by Dirty some years back, which pretty much suggested that Asians are never catered to, specifically, in popular culture because their collective success (especially in academia, which in turn opens a multitude of doors), as a minority group and relative to the other minority groups, has enabled them to access spaces largely and historically reserved Whites. The downside of this, however, is a cultural assimilation of sorts that has disadvantaged Asians by marginalizing, at best, or silencing, at worst, their unique culture.

In other words, because Asians occupy the same niche spaces as most whites, companies never feel the need to target them specifically. They simply maintain the status quo--targeting the White majority--because in the end, Asians will access the same information geared towards Whites, by way of occupying the same niche spaces. The proverb killing two birds with one stone comes to mind. Thus, we have a possible explanation for why Asians are rarely seen/addressed in popular media.

As for latinos, that's a tricky. Unless you're defining "latino" by some generalized and/or stereotypical "look", you can't say with certainty that there is little to no representation of latinos in, say, television commercials. Remember, "latino" is a broad term referring to millions of people, with varying skin hues, from many countries. There are just as many latinos who look white as those who look black. Thus, you could easily have a latino personality on camera and assume that they were white simply because they didn't fit the stereotypical construction of what latino individual is supposed to look like. You could make the argument that the media does little to address issues specific and important to the latino community, but to say that there is little to no representation of latinos on camera might be pushing it, imo.

Of course, and it goes without saying, that Whites undoubtedly get more air time in the media than all other groups.

agreed with first part...even from a cultural standpoint. I stated this before..and unfortunately got the ban hammer for it but it is what it is... As far as your second part, i disagree... there is plenty of latino/spanish etc... representation in society. Cause lets be honest latino/spanish etc...is white. I know for some odd reason our society looks at nationality as some sort of race but it isnt. So in the sense of the false fake race that we believe exist in mexicans,latinos etc...yea they may not be represented, but in the reality of mexicans, latinos are actually whites yes they get plenty of representation. 

agreed with first part...even from a cultural standpoint. I stated this before..and unfortunately got the ban hammer for it but it is what it is... As far as your second part, i disagree... there is plenty of latino/spanish etc... representation in society. Cause lets be honest latino/spanish etc...is white. I know for some odd reason our society looks at nationality as some sort of race but it isnt. So in the sense of the false fake race that we believe exist in mexicans,latinos etc...yea they may not be represented, but in the reality of mexicans, latinos are actually whites yes they get plenty of representation. 
Mods banned you for stating the truth I'm guessing they still on that crap

:lol: @ homey from the Temptations being the father. It's like he took this crazy long break from acting and now I'm seeing dude pop up in bit roles everywhere.

That commercial was one of the cutest things I've seen....people are idiots and it never ceases to amaze me smh.

Someone brought up a point I saw about that Durant/ Asian woman commercial and how that was framed to carefully avoid this type of thing too...although it does make you think she wanted more than " chores" done :lol:

I hope there's more commercials like this one, it's 2013 racist ***holes need to die off an not spread their bigoted vitriol to their children. I think JC Penny had an add with a gay couple right? More companies should do that kind if stuff it's more representative of the US in 2013 and it shows that they're progressive and not scared of the reactions of a group of morons.

That commercial was one of the cutest things I've seen....people are idiots and it never ceases to amaze me smh.

Someone brought up a point I saw about that Durant/ Asian woman commercial and how that was framed to carefully avoid this type of thing too...although it does make you think she wanted more than " chores" done :lol:

I hope there's more commercials like this one, it's 2013 racist ***holes need to die off an not spread their bigoted vitriol to their children. I think JC Penny had an add with a gay couple right? More companies should do that kind if stuff it's more representative of the US in 2013 and it shows that they're progressive and not scared of the reactions of a group of morons.

Durant cleaned her "gutters" in the commercial >D

Durant cleaned her "gutters" in the commercial >D
I forgot the clear sexual innuendo of that commercial :lol:

Mods banned you for stating the truth I'm guessing they still on that crap
well this was ages ago...in niketalk earlier stages... i was in college at the time, had a paper due in humantics...dating off and on a korean girl...who im actually with now...and it was on the subject of asian americans in america, and their cultural contributions...ie trends etc... things of that nature. So the discussion was what do they contribute as far as culturally, trends, things of that nature. Some dude said pokemon, video games, etc... To which i said those are inventions etc... and i was saying no i mean on the lines of how blacks have certain slang/vernacular...style of dressing things like that. Blacks have hip hop, so on and so forth. Then someone obviously of asian etc... decent made a few examples...ala break dancing, graffitti, souping up cars etc...in which i eluded and showed how those where trends that other races did etc... then dude said the whole sneaker scene, in which i said um lol ok that is clearly a trend of urban ala blacks etc.

The conversation led to i think method man and i forget the other guys name, in a long drawn out thesis,basically saying what you said, and in a round about way saying asian american culture is assimilation into whatever cullture the majority race they are around.

I just didnt say it as eloquent etc...as they did, and many thought i was saying asians are on some white wannabes, or trying to be black...so got banned etc for basically saying what you said. Just basically said there wasnt much of a distinctive asian american culture, and in most part addressing white culture is addressing asian american culture. I got a few hate pms...a long this is a community in which we respect all ppl races etc... blazah etc and so forth. End of the day was basically saying the same thing, just one person was p.c about it and tip toed danced around it, with words, and i just flat out called it for what it is.

The funny thing about it is for all the i hate asians etc...i was disrespectfull to them etc i got...years later the girl ends up my woman we have kids etc... but i digress

besides the obvious...i wonder if there really is a 'backlash' against a commercial, though...like how exactly does one 'backlash' against a commercial? do they stop buying their products? i can't imagine anyone would really stop buying honey nut cheerios b/c of this commercial...and if someone did...isn't that taking it a bit far?

point being, is the 'backlash' just clever media coverage showing us what they want us to feel? this is exactly why i don't have TV and rarely pay any attention to what's going on in the news.

#1, the laws are in our favor, we don't "need" to talk to anyone

#2, some people will never see it your way, you're wasting your time trying to convert idiots

#3, you'll lose brain cells talking to idiots, you might as well preach atheism over the internet 24/7, tell me how far that'll get you in life.

if you're homosexual, what's easier, living your life and not worrying about others? or trying to preach equality to everyone you come in contact with?
but you're missing the point.

if no one had ever taken the time to preah equality, COULD homosexuals live the life they want?

could blacks if no one had ever said "hey wait a minute.  maybe this slave thing isn't so good."

you're arguing for apathy and ambivalence and the truth is, that's all fine and dandy til people come for something YOU care about.

there are people who literally still think blacks are evil. like biblically.  you can say its a waste of time to tell them otherwise, but if no one does what happens when you run across those people and their whole lives all theyve been hearing is that they're right?

We're talking about the present where we're free to do as we please, people don't have to like it.
That's called freedom, the right to disagree.
Imo, that's the best you can ask for, people don't have to like what you do, they just can't infringe on your right to do it.
Asking for anything more borders insanity to me, because you can do that about every aspect of life.

Love the commercial. Beautiful family and positive message. Good to see family based commercials with a great message. People will always find reason to hate one another :rolleyes

besides the obvious...i wonder if there really is a 'backlash' against a commercial, though...like how exactly does one 'backlash' against a commercial? do they stop buying their products? i can't imagine anyone would really stop buying honey nut cheerios b/c of this commercial...and if someone did...isn't that taking it a bit far?

point being, is the 'backlash' just clever media coverage showing us what they want us to feel? this is exactly why i don't have TV and rarely pay any attention to what's going on in the news.
same about this new sketchers commercial about little girls shoes called daddies money. I mean i heard a few backlashes...oddly enough (even tho it is obvious) its from married bored housewives... And there boycott of im not going to support a commerical/company etc.. which basically says child support aka daddies money should be used on materialistic things. But end of the day it aint working, cause everytime i turn on nick something it never fails i see one of the commercials.

I mean is this commercial nationally televised..? Hell just by looking in this thread everyone has said oh i never seen this commercial before. The fact that there is a mixed kid isnt the issue, lets face it we see that all the time... and its pretty obvious many whites love the mix baby look ala tanned skin full lips hair texture so on and so forth, so much so that they pay and hell to some degree risk health ie...skin cancer to pretty much have that look. And they certainly dont have a problem with a white women. The problem/uproar about the commercial is that the father is shown...(which is black, again they always show mix kids be it commericals/tv shows but never the dad unless hes white/moms black) He doesnt look stereotypical...and it appears the couple is married etc.

But since he is home. The white audience cant pretend the child is just a tanned white baby, or at the very least, acknowledge the kid is mixed and the dad is the stereotypical deadbeat black dad off somewhere, leaving the helpless damsel angel that is white woman alone to raise a child. He actually is there and they seem to be a functional family...and that scares middle white america... and it throws all their antequated, racial views out the window for a brief moment. Kinda makes them step out the bubble for a second. And for them thats a very uncomfortable feeling.

^^ Yup, that's probably the truth deep down in some people's minds too :smh: We're all a part of the human race, why do people care so much about what another person is attracted to or loves...really all the ad showed was a nice family w/ a cute little girl caring about her father. It's extremely sad that people have to find fault in an ad like this in 2013

^^ Yup, that's probably the truth deep down in some people's minds too
mean.gif
We're all a part of the human race, why do people care so much about what another person is attracted to or loves...really all the ad showed was a nice family w/ a cute little girl caring about her father. It's extremely sad that people have to find fault in an ad like this in 2013
theres no probably about it...most ppl are fully engulfed in this whole "p.c." what i like to call "apple jack commercial" society. We just do things/think things etc... just because we do...aka theres a wrong way, right way, white way and white way=right way. Since they have assimilated so much they although speak as if they can, be objective. For majority of ppl in our society, its i live in my bubble/environment of my preconcieved notions etc..step out and put on the perverbial mask ala suit tie, ala dressing better, along with putting on the p.c. cloak. We are all the same we are they world we are the children b.s., ignore the elephant in the room, clockout at 5 and go back to their respective bubble/environment...and do it all over again the next morning.

Someone brought up a point I saw about that Durant/ Asian woman commercial and how that was framed to carefully avoid this type of thing too...although it does make you think she wanted more than " chores" done
laugh.gif

Durant cleaned her "gutters" in the commercial
grin.gif
and "screwed" something for her
laugh.gif

they knew what they were doing with those commercials.

it's funny because EVERY time i watch it I expect the end to be a cut away to them getting it on, not doing household chores.

you have no idea.  people boycott things for way less.  cheerios isn't the only cereal on the block.  if people think you're peddling a culture to their children that they don't want them to see they'll stop supporting your product, and once the money takes a hit the companies start to back off their stances, whether or not they want to.

it's a business and the customer is always right.  if enough people show offense cheerios will have to pretend to listen.

American sensibilities are determined by the loudest minorities, not necessarily the smarter majority.

Last edited:

you have no idea.  people boycott things for way less.  cheerios isn't the only cereal on the block.  if people think you're peddling a culture to their children that they don't want them to see they'll stop supporting your product, and once the money takes a hit the companies start to back off their stances, whether or not they want to.

it's a business and the customer is always right.  if enough people show offense cheerios will have to pretend to listen.

American sensibilities are determined by the loudest minorities, not necessarily the smarter majority.

I really don't think boycotts are as popular as special interest groups would like you to think.

I just think they complain loudly and those big companies don't want any negative press.

Last edited:
You just dont go pouring cheerios on somebodys heart like that smdh.

At least not where im from :smh:

An inter race wouldnt do that general mills.

I really don't think boycotts are as popular as special interest groups would like you to think.

I just think they complain loudly and those big companies don't want any negative press.
but even if only two people actually boycott a product, if it produces negative press and then the company acquiesces to their demand, isn't that the very definition of a successful boycott?

I think it is stemmed out of fear that the caucasian race will cease to exist if interracial couples continue for long enough. I think it will be better when the mixed people become the majority. No more reasons to get caught up over something as stupid as skin color.

That's honestly what it all comes down too...and I love seeing whites in interracial relationships

Back
Top Bottom