Cheerios Ad Starring Interracial Family Predictably Summons Bigot Wave (The Ad's Adorable Though!!!!

besides the obvious...i wonder if there really is a 'backlash' against a commercial, though...like how exactly does one 'backlash' against a commercial? do they stop buying their products? i can't imagine anyone would really stop buying honey nut cheerios b/c of this commercial...and if someone did...isn't that taking it a bit far?

point being, is the 'backlash' just clever media coverage showing us what they want us to feel? this is exactly why i don't have TV and rarely pay any attention to what's going on in the news.

you have no idea.  people boycott things for way less.  cheerios isn't the only cereal on the block.  if people think you're peddling a culture to their children that they don't want them to see they'll stop supporting your product, and once the money takes a hit the companies start to back off their stances, whether or not they want to.

it's a business and the customer is always right.  if enough people show offense cheerios will have to pretend to listen.

American sensibilities are determined by the loudest minorities, not necessarily the smarter majority.

I really don't think boycotts are as popular as special interest groups would like you to think.

I just think they complain loudly and those big companies don't want any negative press.

but even if only two people actually boycott a product, if it produces negative press and then the company acquiesces to their demand, isn't that the very definition of a successful boycott?

yeah, I just said they're not as effective as they'd like you to think.

like when people protested Imus' radio show.
how many regular listeners were offended?

Last edited:
man I could really go in on this topic but I would be labeled as a black women hater or labeled as racist towards white men so I would leave this topic alone.

pretty sure ive seen interacial couples in commercials before but i never thought much of it.  the fact that this even needs to be brought to attention proves we still got a long way to go...

yeah, I just said they're not as effective as they'd like you to think.

like when people protested Imus' radio show.
how many black people were listening anyway?

I get where your going with this and what your trying to relay.

But bad press and word of mouth carries more weight than good press and word of mouth.

Go to any billion dollar company face book page, and leave a comment, a good one and you'll maybe get a thanks, leave a bad one and you'll get a reply within the hour asking what's wrong and why and what can we do to fix it.

That's what I said before, profit-wise the boycotts mean little to nothing, but BILLION dollar companies still don't want negative press.

I'm just separating the actual boycotts from the negative press.

A majority of the time the negative press comes from people that don't even support the product, so profit wise it doesn't even make sense to listen.

Like Abercrombie and Fitch doesn't have to listen to minorities and overweight people complain that they're not wanted... they weren't their target consumers anyway.

Last edited:
Actually, I recall seeing a black dude on the bachelorette years ago (had to be the first or second one). Either way, he didin't get far...:lol:

The Bachelor is a whole 'nother story.

I imagine that if by some incredible odds they happen to ever cast a black bachelor, he'll literally have to be super-human: see 6ft5in tall with less than 2% body fat, multimillionaire (in the hundreds), harvard med and law graduate (MD/JB program), contemporary sculptor whose pieces are in high demand and sell for millions, green or blue eyes, distantly related to the Ashanti King, CEO of nonprofit that works closely with UN to help fight child poverty in 3rd world countries, etc...:lol:

In other words, they aint ever putting a regular black guy on the bachelor, that's assuming they even plan on entertaining the idea...:lol:

damn...

This ***** sounds awesome...

This commercial though...

:frown: :frown:

Kids are AWESOME!!

That's what I said before, profit-wise the boycotts mean little to nothing, but BILLION dollar companies still don't want negative press.

I'm just separating the actual boycotts from the negative press.

A majority of the time the negative press comes from people that don't even support the product, so profit wise it doesn't even make sense to listen.

Like Abercrombie and Fitch doesn't have to listen to minorities and overweight people complain that they're not wanted... they weren't their target consumers anyway.
exactly and it is the strength in numbers, voice also...to what lengths the boycotting works..(stating complaints on facebook/twitter means nothing...,).Couple that with todays society microwave mentality and pretty much a problem today, will be an afterthought tomorrow. Its almost pointless to boycott in todays day and age, Sure ppl may see the move/rise in things like gay rights etc...and think standing up/speaking out made a difference. But did it really? Was it the activist movement that provoke change, or was it the powers that be conceding, just to divert attention away from a bigger issue. etc

pretty sure ive seen interacial couples in commercials before but i never thought much of it.  the fact that this even needs to be brought to attention proves we still got a long way to go...

thats kinda what i was saying above... show me some person, in real life (ie:not on the internet posting comments), that really give a crap about this.

i want to see someone in a cereal aisle looking at the honey nut cheerios, pick them up, remember the commercial, then put them down and pick up the store brand 'honey o's'.

what i'm trying to say...i think someone out in tv and media land is trying to get us to feel a certain way about something that most people really don't. ppl that are racist, they're going to be racist...are they going to change their eating habits because of it? i doubt it. media creates controversy to stay 'relevant'. it's all garbage.

I'm white and am more physically attracted to darker skinned females. Hispanic and black women especially :wow:

Don't really see why peoples' jimmies get rustled over something as trivial as skin hue of partners when it has absolutely nothing to do with them. :smh:

When someone looks at me sideways when I'm with a chick, I def don't stay quiet.

Last edited:
just a random thought but honey nut cheerios has got to be the best selling cereal.  i see a box of it in pretty much every household i enter

thats kinda what i was saying above... show me some person, in real life (ie:not on the internet posting comments), that really give a crap about this.

i want to see someone in a cereal aisle looking at the honey nut cheerios, pick them up, remember the commercial, then put them down and pick up the store brand 'honey o's'.

what i'm trying to say...i think someone out in tv and media land is trying to get us to feel a certain way about something that most people really don't. ppl that are racist, they're going to be racist...are they going to change their eating habits because of it? i doubt it. media creates controversy to stay 'relevant'. it's all garbage.
but heres the thing...with the internet...that person you encounter...see in the store etc...who APPEARS to not care has an anonymous way to voice their displeasure and concerns via the internet. Also many of them realize that and the grand scheme all it is, simply put is a commercial, and their misguided prejudice, often skewed view of our society as a whole is reinforced when they return to their comfortable element.

Some ppl may not oppose the images/commercials etc... but that doesnt mean they favor them either. And some may oppose the images etc...but understand that the commercials is just corporations false caring/objectivity ....to seem progressive which in returns appears as if they are forward thinking, open minded, but in all actuality its all about quaterly nmbers gains/residuals gross, fiscal sales etc... aka profits.

I'm always reading on here that black guys get no love on movies or if they do they die.
I'd like to see a Mexican to get 5mins of screen time not being Trejo or dude from End of watch

Last edited:
But if we go past interracial relations and just focus on the amount of appearances each race makes in the span of commercials between a show, how much of it is made up of actors or actresses that aren't White or Black? Have you ever seen a commercial for an Asian couple interested in osteoporosis medications, or a Latino man selling auto insurance?

This might just be how I feel, but people get so hung up over the White and Black contrast that they forget there are a great deal of people in America who are rarely, if ever, represented in television by people of their same race.
A ******G MEN!

People will die over this ad.

YOU HEAR ME, cause its just so cute :smile: i actually smiled.

I dont see color (not literally). I see a married couple with a child enjoying breakfast. Whats the problem here?

americans.....
laugh.gif

Derek Jeter and Mariah Carrey are beloved forever...they must've forget what their parents looked like, its like they don't get mad at things till its right

in their face.

Damn we can't just have a cute commercial anymore
I really hate this world sometimes

what i'm trying to say...i think someone out in tv and media land is trying to get us to feel a certain way about something that most people really don't. ppl that are racist, they're going to be racist...are they going to change their eating habits because of it?

You can't be that naive to believe people not ranting in public equates to them not being racist. Can you imagine a world where we heard people voice their opposition to miscegenation/globalization nearly as frequently as we see it online? It would be absurd, right? How many times have you heard someone outright say the president was a ****** for yourself, opposed to reading it countless times online?

The anonymity of the internet allows these practices and ideas to flourish, and it still has an impact. Even if you're not hearing people saying it for themselves with your own ears, there are people reading the comments online, and having their opinions of other groups swayed negatively regardless.

And of course we've seen interracial relationships on tv, but due to history and prevalent stereotypes, some are more acceptable than others; which is the reason I didn't have to watch the video to know a black man was in the commercial, after reading the title.

i doubt it. media creates controversy to stay 'relevant'. it's all garbage.
Google the term "shock value."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom