Chinese Couple Sells Children to Play Online Games

furrell

Banned
(DONGGUAN, China) -- A young Chinese couple has sold all three of their children in exchange for money to play online games at Internet cafes, reports a southern Chinese newspaper.

According to Sanxiang City News, the couple met in an Internet cafe back in 2007 and bonded over their obsession with online video games.  A year later, the parents -- who are both under 21 -- welcomed their first child, a son.  Days after his birth, they left him home alone while they went to play online games at an Internet cafe 30 km away.

In 2009, Li Lin and Li Juan welcomed their second child, a baby girl, and came up with the idea to sell her for money to fund their online game obsession.  They did so, receiving RMB 3,000 (less than $500), which they spent entirely shortly after.  The couple then proceeded to sell their first child and got 10 times as much for him -- RMB 30,000, or about $4600.

Upon having their third child -- another boy -- the parents followed in their previous footsteps and also got RMB 30,000 for him.

They were finally turned into authorities when Li Lin’s mother found out what her son and his girlfriend had done.

When asked if they missed their children, the parents answered, "We don’t want to raise them, we just want to sell them for some money.

eek.gif
Yikes... What is going on out here? Kids or Starcraft?

I thought I'd heard that before - it must be the same crazy couple who have been in the news before.

That's just insane. Wouldn't it be easier and probably cheaper to just get a job?

Reminds me of the woman who put her kids for sale on ebay
30t6p3b.gif

It is pretty common in China for a family to put their daughter up for adoption isn't it? Still, for video games? Sickening

Originally Posted by kdawg

I thought I'd heard that before - it must be the same crazy couple who have been in the news before.

That's just insane. Wouldn't it be easier and probably cheaper to just get a job?
yea...i think they were on the news for leaving their newborn in the house while they were at the internet cafe

There was also a story a couple of months back about a Chinese kid who sold one of his kidneys so he could buy an ipad. Crazy.

why did it take so long for someone else to notice the kids weren't with them anymore and why do these stories about gamin always seem to come from an Asian country

My parents are Chinese and they joke about selling me. This is taking it to a whole other level. Trading your flesh and blood for a couple of pixels ftw. not

Back
Top Bottom