Citi Bank hikes fees on checking accounts....

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/04/pf/citi_fee/index.htm
Sorry, I dont have 6gs. I am closing my account.

The EZ Checking package will come with two clear options while still delivering great value. For statement periods starting on or after November 10, 2011:

Here's what you need to know:

Maintain $6,000 in prior calendar month balances in your linked deposit accounts, including checking, savings, money market accounts and certificates of deposit — starting with your November 2011 balances — and pay no monthly service fee. 

OR

Pay a flat $15 monthly service fee.

laugh.gif
@ Citi Bank.

I'm sure Chase is next.

The last change they made didn't affect me but if it does, to the credit union I go. Already have a CU account, bit hardly use it.

Blame the Dodd Frank Act. It limited banks ability to charge merchants, went from around $.44 to $.21

Banks are finding ways to make up for those losses. Some of us told y'all last week that running to a new bank wasn't gonna do anything for you. There's really just no escaping the fees.

This is their response to over-regulation. Guess it's time to roll back some of these regulations, or get used to paying for checking. BAC's fee > this one, though, it looks like Citi is catering to a more well off crowd with this deal.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Blame the Dodd Frank Act. It limited banks ability to charge merchants, went from around $.44 to $.21

Banks are finding ways to make up for those losses. Some of us told y'all last week that running to a new bank wasn't gonna do anything for you. There's really just no escaping the fees.
I hate these arguments 
laugh.gif

it essence they go like this;

Obama regulated their unethical charges

so they had to create new ones, blame Obama not the banks 

alien.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
It's only going to get worse with these banks folks. I'd rather have checking with an ETRADE or Schwab

the 1st fee i get hit with im gonna call go off get it refunded & empty out my account the same day

I posted something like this in the thread where OP said that Bank of America is going to start charging for debit card usage.
I received an email and a letter that stated Citibank would have a new fee starting in November.
Pay a monthly fee of $10 a month or:
a) Have atleast one direct deposit and one bill payment in a month
b) Maintain $1500 in your checkings account.

$6000 is way too much though

Originally Posted by TxRook

I posted something like this in the thread where OP said that Bank of America is going to start charging for debit card usage.
I received an email and a letter that stated Citibank would have a new fee starting in November.
Pay a monthly fee of $10 a month or:
a) Have atleast one direct deposit and one bill payment in a month
b) Maintain $1500 in your checkings account.

$6000 is way too much though

i havent got a email/or letter from them yet but i do have direct deposit but no auto bill pay

Originally Posted by ColdCity

i havent got a email/or letter from them yet but i do have direct deposit but no auto bill pay

Got this straight from the website, after signing on to check my statements:
Simple Banking Package Options
For its Basic Checking package, Citibank will offer three clear options for clients to get great value and worry-free pricing: 1) Clients pay no monthly service fee if they make one Direct Deposit and one Online Bill Payment during each monthly statement period; 2) Clients can also avoid a monthly service fee by maintaining $1,500 in combined average monthly balances in their Basic Checking and linked Basic Savings accounts; or 3) Clients can choose to pay a flat $10 monthly service fee for the Basic Banking package, which includes more standard features and services than competitor offerings.

They gon' get you dawg, be ready.
I might just switch to Wells Fargo as my only account

For its Basic Checking package, Citibank will offer three clear options for clients to get great value and worry-free pricing: 1) Clients pay no monthly service fee if they make one Direct Deposit and one Online Bill Payment during each monthly statement period; 2) Clients can also avoid a monthly service fee by maintaining $1,500 in combined average monthly balances in their Basic Checking and linked Basic Savings accounts; or 3) Clients can choose to pay a flat $10 monthly service fee for the Basic Banking package, which includes more standard features and services than competitor offerings.

im about to switch to state farm bank no fee's a debit card & they refund you any atm fees since they dont have an official bank

im about to switch to state farm bank no fee's a debit card & they refund you any atm fees since they dont have an official bank

No fee debit card? Guess it's off to the Strip club for me

Why are people acting like banks are some sort of non-profit organization. If you ran a business and the government passed regulations that took away a huge portion of your revenue, would you not do something about it like, i don't know, raise prices or your product or services? or would u just sit there and operate as you were before and lose 30% of your revenue? Checking accounts 15-20 years ago, there was barely any free checking anywhere, now banks have added services like debit cards, online banking, online bill pay, etc...

How do you deposit money?

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Some of us told y'all last week that running to a new bank wasn't gonna do anything for you. There's really just no escaping the fees.

i work at Citi guys. Cheapest account is the Basic acct. To waive the fee, you need to either maintain $1500 combined balances between checking and savings or do 1 bill payment and 1 direct deposit a month. Chase has the same requirements for its basic account also. We don't charge $5 for your debit card as of right now but who knows in the future.

If you are in college, ask for a student account. No monthly service fee as long as you can prove you are in college.

Also, Citibank can "household" your account. Meaning if you're parents or anyone else under the same address can meet the requirements, you can piggyback off them.

Mortgage and credit card balances can also contribute to minimum requirements.

That $6000 balance requirement posted is for the next checking package above the basic account.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

How do you deposit money?

same way you extract it at an atm & if you have an iphone you can take a photo of a check & deposit it into your account

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

i work at Citi guys. Cheapest account is the Basic acct. To waive the fee, you need to either maintain $1500 combined balances between checking and savings or do 1 bill payment and 1 direct deposit a month. Chase has the same requirements for its basic account also. We don't charge $5 for your debit card as of right now but who knows in the future.

If you are in college, ask for a student account. No monthly service fee as long as you can prove you are in college.

Also, Citibank can "household" your account. Meaning if you're parents or anyone else under the same address can meet the requirements, you can piggyback off them.

Mortgage and credit card balances can also contribute to minimum requirements.

That $6000 balance requirement posted is for the next checking package above the basic account.
Oh yeah, I was suppose to switch to a student account. I only opened up a Basic account because there was some sort of promotion for 10,000 Thank You points if you met certain requirements in the first three months. (Somthing like that)
Thanks for reminding that I have to switch to a Student Account. Quick question, Would my Student ID suffice for proof or do I need to bring in more documentation?

bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif
Thanks for the SF Bank info ColdCity.

I'll definitely be opening up an account with them.

Back
Top Bottom