Cities to live in the US?

I'll be moving back to the U.S in 2014. I'm over high rental prices. I don't want to live in San Francisco (California in general), New York, or Atlanta (lived in ATL already).

What are some cities in the US that love basketball, have reasonably good schools, good parks, are safe for children to walk around in, have a relatively good job market, and have a reasonable diversity of people, and diversity of food? I want a 2 bedroom place that runs for less than $1700. Preferably, a place that doesn't have a super long humid 4 month summer either. I'm looking for the place I want to settle down and live in for the next 10 or so years.

I've looked at Google, etc but honestly those rankings don't seem to tell me anything. I hated Atlanta. Went to 6 Hawks games and it was so absolutely boring. The downtown scene is awesome, but I have a gf and am 27. I'm not too concerned about going out all night anymore. NT has a lot of people that live a lot of places.

Places that have popped into my head:

-Austin
-Oklahoma City
-New Orleans
-Minneapolis
-Worcester (Massachusetts)
-I dunno..

You can scratch NO and and Minneapolis off that list since you'll be attending T'Wolves and Pelicans games.

Boston wouldn't be bad for you. I don't know about Worcester though because that's a little bit outside of the city.

Boston is small enough but big enough for you to explore.

We don't have any pro teams in Omaha, but we are probably top three in every other category you mentioned. We were least affected by the recession here as well. We are more of an event city with the College Ws, Olympic swim trails, and the NCAA BB tourney

Last edited:
Have you thought about the DMV area at all? Wizards aren't the best basketball team but the rest of your criteria matches up pretty well with this area IMO.
i wouldnt recommend the DC urea because of the high cost of living. it has a good amount of what else he's looking for but if he is using $1700 as his mark, thats one bedroom in most places. if someone is willing to look at PG county or maybe go east of the river that might work, but they are farther out, and certain areas are def not family environments. also, its humid as **** here May-September.

have heard great things about Austin, but obviously there is a lack of pro teams and the walkability isnt very high. Minneapolis too.

OP, what about Denver? heard good things about that area too.

Last edited:
Dallas or Houston.

You'll get over the heat.

Good food... Diverse.... Cheap.... City life and suburban life...

I've been hearing a lot more young adults moving to Denver too.I like Dallas, Houston, and OKC off your list, and would possibly like Austin but I have never been but it's another place you hear a lot in connection with young adults. And $1700 a month will get you a nice home in those 3 places. And if you come to Oklahoma City, move on the NW side by Quail Springs and Lake Hefner.

Last edited:
Out here in Boston/surrounding cities it is sometimes brutally humid in the summer. And it's easily a 1-1.5 hour ride into Boston too if you wanted to catch a game.

If you can look past the humid summers Quincy, Braintree and Milton are a few nice towns just on the outskirts of Boston.

Can't say enough good things about Milwaukee. Though our basketball team isn't very promising (the Bucks), there is a decent sized downtown area, bars and restaurants if you need them, parks everywhere (the city is right on Lake Michigan and there is a great lakefront), there are good schools, and many up and coming neighborhoods that are not your cookie-cutter suburbs. Rent is reasonable (including in the downtown area) and the city is mostly safe.

The only problem with WI is the winters (seem to last forever), and some people just aren't cut out for the midwest (I may be one of them). Good luck.

Portland, Oregon/ (area) Beaverton, Hillsboro, Gresham, Vancouver Washington... blazer games are pretty packed.. drive to Seattle to watch the Seahawks (2hrs).. lots of breweries, food carts are pretty good. Food scene ain't bad. Lots of local bars. Club scene ain't the greatest.. when it's supposed to be cold it's cold and summer is hot..

Last edited:
The weather can go from 80s and sunny to 40s and sleet in the same day but besides that Lville is a good and cheap place to live..

Also the fact that we are the College BBall mecca of the country

- 2013 National Champs (Lville)

- 2012 National Champs (KY)

- #1 BBall fan base and winningest BBall program of all time (KY)

Last edited:
Denver co or surrounding areas

Your welcome

Been looking into Denver myself. Seems like there are jobs available regularly in my field. What can you tell me about the culture?

As far as OP's question, Boston sounds like it meets all of your needs. Top rated schools, hospitals in the country. Great place to raise a family. Crime rate compared to other large cities is lower. 4 seasons. Passionate sports fanbase. A lot of culture. Depending on your nightlife requirements and career, sounds perfect.

Denver is an awesome city. Lots of outdoor enthusiasts. Pretty and athletic women, great schools and awesome weather. People in Denver are genuinely friendly and laid back. The only downside is that Denver isn't super diverse compared to other cities but I'm black and I've lived in Wyoming and Colorado my whole life and people in Denver are generally cool with diversity. Boulder not so much but Denver is cool

Back
Top Bottom