Cliff Lee wins AL Cy Young

NEW YORK (AP)-Cliff Lee is a runaway winner for the AmericanLeague Cy Young Award, capping a dominant comeback season that made him the second consecutive Cleveland Indians lefty to earn the honor.

Demoted to the minors last year, Lee went a major league-best 22-3 this season with a 2.54 ERA. He received 24 of 28 first-place votes and 132 points inballoting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America announced Thursday.

Toronto ace Roy Halladay finished second with four first-placevotes and 71 points.

Lee became the third Indians pitcher to win the award, following Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry in 1972 and CC Sabathia last year.

Not unanimous?
indifferent.gif

Anyway, well deserved.
pimp.gif

Very well deserved...congratulations Cliff Lee and Indian Fans
72f368cb17e087c25c14eaa74fccb51c4fb66c57.gif

Originally Posted by kingofny04

Was I the only one thinking that K-Rod would get an honorable mention at least?
No because he wasn't even the best closer in the AL. He just compiled a large amount of a meaningless statistic.

It wasn't unanimous because Halladay's and Lee's stats were not only comparable but pretty identical. Not to mention Lee faced far far far worseteams than Halladay did.

Great season for the man...hopefully we can get everyone on the same page and healthy throughout next year...

Originally Posted by Wraith aka invincible

well deserved i wish halladay would come to the yankees

i'd drown a basket of puppies if we could get halladay ..

congrats to lee, dude was unbelievable this year ..............

Halladay > Lee

Lee had the better numbers on paper but I'd take Halladay any day of the week. He got 20 wins on one of the worst hitting teams in baseball. I think I readthat in his 11 loses the Jays offense only produce 21 runs.

Props to Lee, but lets see if he can do this again next season or he ends up like Esteban Loiaza.

My man back to back cy youngs for my tribe nice...now we got to trade him for some minor leaguer...thats how we roll...........

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Halladay > Lee

Lee had the better numbers on paper but I'd take Halladay any day of the week. He got 20 wins on one of the worst hitting teams in baseball. I think I read that in his 11 loses the Jays offense only produce 21 runs.

Props to Lee, but lets see if he can do this again next season or he ends up like Esteban Loiaza.
Plus Roy always lead the L in most complete games.

Cliff was better this season, doesn't matter if he does it again next year or not.

He was the best pitcher in baseball.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Halladay shouldn't have received 1 single 1st place vote
smh.gif
roll.gif

the single best argument for Halladay: He faced better hitters. He faced significantly better hitters.This year in the American League, 39 pitchers pitched enough innings to qualify for the ERA title. The hitters Halladay faced finished theseason with a .766 OPS, No. 2 out of 39. Lee's opposition finished with a .735 collective OPS, No. 38 out of 39. There are 14 teams in the AmericanLeague. Quick and dirty, we can split them down the middle; the top seven teams in the league are the Good Hitting Teams, the bottom seven the Poor HittingTeams. Of Lee's 27 starts against American League teams, 14 came against Poor Hitting Teams. Of Halladay's 30starts against American League teams, only 12 were against Poor Hitting Teams. The best-hitting teams in the AL werethe Rangers and the Red Sox. Halladay started against them seven times; Lee, just three times. The worst-hitting teamsin the AL were the Royals, the Mariners, and the Athletics. Lee started against those teams nine times; Halladay, only four times.

Cliff Lee had 5 ND this year where he gave up 3 or less runs, all quality starts that the Indians just couldnt score.

Back
Top Bottom