Cocky v. Confident

Often times these get confused with each other, or if someone is salty, they accuse someone that's confident of being cocky.
What's your definition of each?

Cocky is loud, one who is cocky demands that other recognize each of that persons accomplishments as something spectacular regardless of how minuscule the accomplishment is.

example:
"I'm the best at ultimate frisbee at Oregon State.  You should totally come watch me play so you can see how awesome I am.  I can outsprint everyone on the field. Ha!  I can out-sprint the football team and the track team!"
Yeah, congrats dude.  You're great at the sport that is flag football's ******ed half cousin.  Someone start a +!*!#!% slow clap.  Oh and I bet your electrical engineering @$# can out run the track team...you know those guys and gals that have scholarships to run...yeah I totally bet you can.

Confidence is quiet, one who is confident lets their actions speak for them, or they do something and expect no validation from anyone.

edit:
Also confidence is built from experience, knowing who you are, and how to react to different scenarios life will present you.
Cockiness is used to cover up insecurities and fear.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Cocky is loud, one who is cocky demands that other recognize each of that persons accomplishments as something spectacular regardless of how minuscule the accomplishment is.

example:
"I'm the best at ultimate frisbee at Oregon State.  You should totally come watch me play so you can see how awesome I am.  I can outsprint everyone on the field. Ha!  I can out-sprint the football team and the track team!"
Yeah, congrats dude.  You're great at the sport that is flag football's ******ed half cousin.  Someone start a #@!%!$% slow clap.  Oh and I bet your electrical engineering *#! can out run the track team...you know those guys and gals that have scholarships to run...yeah I totally bet you can.

Confidence is quiet, one who is confident lets their actions speak for them, or they do something and expect no validation from anyone.
Not always. 

Well being cocky still embodies that element of confidence,however lacks humility which in turn puts a limit on your progression in whatever it is that you do.Being confident in yourself and your abilities and not letting them go to your head leaves room for exponential growth and limitless possibilities.*shrug*

They are almost the same thing....

confidence might be just having the ability to back what you say without exagerating. Keeping it real in a sence.

Cocky is just annoying and you feel the NEED to let others know what you could do without having to show proof.... "I can pull dimes all day, Ill show you one day"

Confident *proceeds to spit game at a chick without needing to show anyone

Confidence is knowing you got it without making it known to the world, cockiness is boasting about it for everyone to see

Why's it gatta be Oregon State? lol Don't be salty that your team keeps getting arrested!
O S U

A person that is cocky is a person with hyper inflated ego/confidence.

Being confident is knowing your ability and feeling comfortable with it.

Originally Posted by LuigiTheKing

I'm not y I'm confident, so when you tell me I'm the best, it's a complement.

ohwell.gif

cocky is flat out wack. Most of the people I encounter that are cocky, really are shallow, and dont have much but act like they do.
cocky is confidence without humbleness

Originally Posted by LuigiTheKing

I'm not cocky I'm confident, so when you tell me I'm the best, it's a complement.

I got a hundred guns, a hundred clips, Ninja I'm from New York

I've kinda always thought the definitions of each depended on the individual and that cockiness and confidence were never much different from one another. Like a person being really good at something and being prideful in his/her successes or accomplishments isn't bad. I've never seen pride as inherently bad. . To me the only thing separating the two is the fact that after a certain point a person begins having feelings of inferiority next to a person who is successful and prideful. Naturally these feelings are uncomfortable but its only when these feelings are made present that a person stops looking at a person as confident in a positive way and starts looking at a person negatively as cocky. Whatever the threshold that makes these negative feelings a reality is totally dependent on the individual.

Example- I see Kobe Bryant as extremely confident. He knows he's the best in the world (debatable) and he doesn't hide it. He wants the ball in crunch time because he believes he can help win the game or make that last second shot based on his past experiences of being clutch. To others this is all cockiness and not trusting your teammates and not being a team player.

For myself, Kobe is justified in taking the last shot, he's justified in thinking he's the best in the world because of his accomplishments, and he's justified in being proud of what's he's accomplished. For others Kobe is just being cocky, he's being too prideful, and he's rubbing his exploits in the faces of his teammates and the public.

Dont know if Kobe was the best example, but to me at least, there's no difference between cockiness and confidence. Just depends on if you get your feelings hurt.

thread bump...

still dont know the difference...

you call someone cocky when you're looking for holes in their swag.

you call someone confident when you dig their swag...

Cocky is ignorant. Confidence is a self-assuredness that allures to those around you.

I have this thing that I say for those who don't know the difference and try and say I'm cocky...I tell them I'm charismatically confident. Don't steal that...It's mine! :lol:

Last edited:
Confident: "I can do this"

Cocky: I can do this better than everyone else, and I'm going to make sure everyone else knows too"

Back
Top Bottom